Poulan saw 2 bad ignitions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesm113

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Had the ignition go out on my poulan PP4218AVX. Pulled the kill switch wiring, no spark.

Replaced it with an OEM husky ignition, started right up. First time using it, engine dies and won't restart. Pull the plug, no spark again.

What the heck?? Any ideas?

Saw a reply in my emails, but not seeing it on the site..

But-
* Swapped out plugs, still no spark
* Not sure what connections there would be for the coil?
* Air gap set with business card
* Removed kill wire of the ignition coil tab completely - still no spark.

Pull the flywheel to see if it moved. (Sheered key)
Would still show spark with a sheared key on pointless ignition
you Have to test for spark in a dark room on these new saws now as spark hard To see in daylight.

Would still show spark with a sheared key on pointless ignition
you Have to test for spark in a dark room on these new saws now as spark hard To see in daylight.
Or just hold onto the electrode when pulling it over, if it's got spark you'll know it!!!

I've tested for spark before, can see it outside as long as I'm in the shade. Yesterday was experiencing no start, checked for spark in the shade, nothing.

Tested for spark today (again in the shade, not direct sunlight), saw spark, and it started right up.

Pulled flywheel, key in good condition. Giving everything a nice clean, but not sure what else to check.

Maybe the coil doesn't like getting hot? I had previously pulled and cleaned the carb, didn't really tinker with the H \ L screws, just set them to their previous positions, so maybe the mix is off and it's getting too hot?

So it started right up today with a new Husky ignition from yesterday. How long did it run for it to get hot?

Not long. Maybe 5-10 minutes. Which actually leads me into my next update...

Tried to use it again this afternoon, same thing happened again. Started up fine, worked for 5-10 minutes, then died and wouldn't restart. Checked gas, there was some pressure in the tank and some gas squirted out once the cap was loosen. Still wouldn't start.

Pulled plug, couldn't see a spark again, so moved to the garage and turned off the lights. Could see spark, but it was somewhat faint. Checked gap, in spec (0.6mm). So I guess that's what happened yesterday, good call out! Watched a YouTube video that suggested changing the gap to 0.7mm for hard starting poulan saw, tried that, could see the spark outside in the shade after that.

Pulled air filter, spotted lots of vapors coming out of carb. Gave it like 30 minutes to rest, it started up again pretty easily. Got a few more cuts in and then it died and wouldn't restart.

So at this point I suspect I got a vapor lock problem, not an ignition problem. I also have another problem where the saw will die after every cut unless I keep giving it gas after the cut.

Also, it's a Chinese carb, I could never get the factory carb working at all.

I worked on a 4218avx a while back and used the Husqvarna OEM 545070601 carb on it and swapped out the tool-less cover for a standard 2 nut style. Saw runs very good for a strato. Your carb seems like its not getting fuel after priming it and starting. Look for a pinched fuel line and check the fuel cap. You probably don't want to spend 40 bucks for a husky oem carb on a saw that may be worth 50 bucks running.

Not long. Maybe 5-10 minutes. Which actually leads me into my next update...

Tried to use it again this afternoon, same thing happened again. Started up fine, worked for 5-10 minutes, then died and wouldn't restart. Checked gas, there was some pressure in the tank and some gas squirted out once the cap was loosen. Still wouldn't start.

Pulled plug, couldn't see a spark again, so moved to the garage and turned off the lights. Could see spark, but it was somewhat faint. Checked gap, in spec (0.6mm). So I guess that's what happened yesterday, good call out! Watched a YouTube video that suggested changing the gap to 0.7mm for hard starting poulan saw, tried that, could see the spark outside in the shade after that.

Pulled air filter, spotted lots of vapors coming out of carb. Gave it like 30 minutes to rest, it started up again pretty easily. Got a few more cuts in and then it died and wouldn't restart.

So at this point I suspect I got a vapor lock problem, not an ignition problem. I also have another problem where the saw will die after every cut unless I keep giving it gas after the cut.

Also, it's a Chinese carb, I could never get the factory carb working at all.

Have you adjusted the idle speed ?

Yes. idle speed adjusted multiple times - raised the idle until the saw started moving, then backed it off til it barely moved.

New gas cap, I'll check for a pinched fuel line.

Just in case you want to get rid of the tool-less, go for Poulan part 545012203. Bar nuts are usually not included.

Maybe the coil doesn't like getting hot? I had previously pulled and cleaned the carb, didn't really tinker with the H \ L screws, just set them to their previous positions, so maybe the mix is off and it's getting too hot?

Have you removed the muffler to look at the piston , rings and cylinder ?

I've walked in your shoes with them Poulan ignition coils. They get erratic and replacement is the only cure. Seems when you get one that will last for 30 min's you have a keeper.
If you buy from Amazon Prime you can do free returns.

Put another magneto on it and see what breaks next. Keep a heads up, some are pricy, more than the saw is worth.

Here is a link for couple tips about the mag.

https://www.lilredbarn.net/Poulan-PP4218AVX-Ignition-Coil-and-Chip-s/50794.htm

Back