husky or stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upandcommer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok so here goes i nabbed a 55 from the local dealer today and put her str8 to work and I have a question compared to my old ms290 this is supposed to be a smaller saw but the same class both homeowner saws and firewood saws.
But to me the husky seems to grab on to the rpm in the cut better and then hold them better. It sounded to me like it revved higher. It handled the 18"er with a smile like it was meant to eat wood. Sorry I know it is a lot of questions but this was my first husky experience and I was dumbfounded how totally different this saw ran than a stihl.

They are both right around 50-55 cc There were differant versions of both brands, but they are similar in size. The 55 is probably one of the best homeowner husky's ever made in my opinion. I have three of them and they get used by the farm guys a lot.

It is a very good general use saw. I don't have a lot of experience with the 029's, but the husky has a broader powerband than the 029 I ran.

Take care of her, and she'll last for years. The husky guys like to bash them for being homeonwer saws, but the 55's setup just like most of the pro stihls )mag case, rubber mounts) and it still has the great air filter setup.

how much did it cost ya?

125.00 with 4 freshly ground 18" .325 x .58 chains and a used dressed and cleaned bar

not too shabby, if it is decent. heck the chains these days would almost cost ya that. What part of Ohio? just noticed you are from here too.

fremont tiffin area I went from the dealer home to finish the pinewood derby car for tomorrow then to the woods to cut 4 dump trucks full of wood with the new saws the 55 and the brand spankin new echo cs-670 both impressed me the 670 is finally breaking in after it's 4th tank.

????

They are both right around 50-55 cc There were differant versions of both brands, but they are similar in size. The 55 is probably one of the best homeowner husky's ever made in my opinion. I have three of them and they get used by the farm guys a lot.

It is a very good general use saw. I don't have a lot of experience with the 029's, but the husky has a broader powerband than the 029 I ran.

Take care of her, and she'll last for years. The husky guys like to bash them for being homeonwer saws, but the 55's setup just like most of the pro stihls )mag case, rubber mounts) and it still has the great air filter setup.

how much did it cost ya?

Stang - The Husky Guys bash the 55??????? I haven't read that in a lot of posts. I'm not sure I'd even classify it as a homeowner saw - - -more like semi-pro. Damn good saw - very dependable. Mine's pushing 15 years of great service!

Al :cheers:

I love my 55.used a 24" bar and it pulled great. Went back to a 20" after I bought my 385 XP.Cut a lot of fire wood with the 55 Great saw

The 55 is tough as nails period. Lots of 55's have been put into professional use and lasted a long time.
Mine is so tough and dependable I felt like I was cheating on my wife when I bought my 5100.

i love my 55 as well.

i'll never get r id of it.

as for the husky running better than the stihl,that's pretty much standard except for the MS200T.

I have a question compared to my old ms290 this is supposed to be a smaller saw but the same class both homeowner saws and firewood saws.
But to me the husky seems to grab on to the rpm in the cut better and then hold them better. this was my first husky experience and I was dumbfounded how totally different this saw ran than a stihl.

hee, hee,

now you can feel the "Call of The Wild"!

55rancher > MS290

455 rancher > MS 310

it may take up to 10-20 years but the stihl peeps will find out what they been buying.

hee, hee,

now you can feel the "Call of The Wild"!

55rancher > MS290

455 rancher > MS 310

it may take up to 10-20 years but the stihl peeps will find out what they been buying.

The stihl peeps have been buying reliable machines. I have 2 friends that have been using 029 Supers for firewood for like 8 years. Have you made the above statements based on your own comparisons?

The 55 ROCKS!!! PERIOD!!!! Awsome saw!!

The 455? :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

I can't say on here what I think of them!!!
I wont own one!

i'll never get r id of it.

as for the husky running better than the stihl,that's pretty much standard except for the MS200T.

lol.
wow. thank you for sharing that information. i think we should put that one in a FAQ or something... its a keeper.

The 55 ROCKS!!! PERIOD!!!! Awsome saw!!

The 455? :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

I can't say on here what I think of them!!!
I wont own one!

The 455 is not a worthy replacement for the 55, that's sure - excessive weight for the power, as with the 029/290....:censored: :censored:

Last edited:
my 55's are great runners and seem to have good power, I run 18" 3/8 on both. I have muffler modded them both they wake up pretty good.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back