Husky people, help please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIG

ArboristSite Member
I have a Husky 55 with a new 20" bar and chain (from Husky dealer) that appears to not be oiling enough. I saw sparks off the bar as soon as I put this new bar/chain on so I cut it off and began looking for my problem. Took bar/chain off and cranked saw. Oiler seems to be working great but I took it apart, cleaned and inspected it for sure. All the parts look fine - no stripped gear, etc. Put it back together - still no oil slinging off chain. Upon taking it apart the 2nd time I realize that all my oil is slinging out under the clutch cover. It is getting all around the clutch and 2 bar studs, etc. The new bar has a long slot that the 2 bar studs go in but it also has a hole above and below this slot and this seems to be the problem. The oiler outlet happens to feed directly into this unecessary hole in bar and runs out everywhere instead of running down the "channel" alongside the bar and then into the hole in the bar as it should. Seems that I have the wrong bar for my saw? I have Husky bar #107799 - is it correct for my saw or am I missing something? Thanks.

treeclimber165

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
The holes above and below the slot are for two purposes. The bottom one is for bar adjustment and the top one is to allow the oil to get into the chain groove. When you put the side cover on properly, it blocks the outside of the oiler hole. If you did not have the upper hole, you wouldn't be able to flip the bar.

BIG

ArboristSite Member
I don't see how either hole has to do with bar adjustment. I loosen the 2 bar stud nuts slightly then adjust the bar with a slotted screwdriver from the front of the saw. Not in between the 2 bar studs like on a Stihl. Also it seems that if this hole wasn't at the top, the oiler would pump oil down the channel and it would then make it's way in the small hole in the bar to the chain - which is what I need. Instead, the oiler is pumping all the oil into this top hole in the bar (about a 3/8" hole) and it runs out everywhere and is never "forced" to go down the channel in the saw to the small oil hole in the bar. Do you know that bar #107799 fits this saw? Thanks for your information.

Dennis

Dennis

Arboristsite MVP
Hi Big...it sounds to me like you have the wrong bar...yes the oil should be pumped into the little hole on the top, where it can be carried via the driver to the rest of the bar...if it is going into the larger 3/8 hole...there is a problem...that 3/8 hole is for the chain adjuster...is the pin(chain adjuster) lining up to the hole on the bottom? I dont know that Husky part number...cant tell you if it fits or not...sorry...

BIG

ArboristSite Member
I see what the 2 holes are for now, stupid me

Yeah Dennis my pin is going in the bottom hole properly and I see that there has to be an identical hole at the top so the bar can be flipped. Now that I understand this, it still seems like a problem that the oil pump outlet hole lines up EXACTLY with the top 3/8" hole in the bar. Keep in mind, I have a new bar and chain. Do I have a sealing problem in that the bar is not being "sandwiched" in between the saw case and clutch cover tight enough which allows oil to run out without being forced down the oil channel? It all looks clean enough to me but I guess that slightest amount of dirt, sawdust or surface rust causes a problem with sealing in this area?

treeclimber165

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
Big- The adjuster screw on the front of the saw has a pin attached which fits in the lower hole on the bar. If you do not have this pin lined up properly, the bar will not lay flush and the oil will leak out everywhere.

If the bar is properly sandwiched between the case and outer cover, leakage should not be a problem. Something is not lined up properly and the bar is not laying flush.

BIG

ArboristSite Member
Hey treeclimber 165

Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part. I see that both the 3/8" holes are necessary and yes, the pin on the adjuster is lined up properly. All seems well as far as the way the bar sits on the saw and everything. It just baffles me that the oiler outlet hole feeds directly in the top hole in the bar and runs out everywhere instead of down the channel and into the small oil hole in the bar? ????, I'm not an idiot but I can't figure this out.

JimL

Addicted to ArboristSite
Take the side cover off, set it and the chain aside, Get some big washers if needed and put them on the studs, then put your nuts on. Start the saw, being sure not to wind it out. Look and see where your oils going for sure.. Might clean the saw first...

jokers

jokers

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hi Big, Here are the part numbers that I have listed for bars for the 55 and 55R, just for reference. I don`t know where your number came from. FT-280-68, FT-280-72, FT-288-68, and FT-288-72 for laminated 3/8 pitch sprocket nose bars. HLN-250-56 through HLN-250-78, HL-250-78, HL-258-66 through HL-258-78 for .325 pitch sprocket nose bars. Solid bars with replaceable noses are HT-250-78, HT-258-66 through HT-258-78 for .325 pitch. Hard nose bars are HA-280-60 through HA-280-72. Can you find any numbers that resemble these? Russ

eyolf

eyolf

Addicted to ArboristSite
Did you say it was a Husky brand bar? As Jokers' post above lists, all of the small mount bars that fit your saw should have a "2" as the first digit of the middle (numeric) figure. If you do have a Husky bar, and you find a number xx-380-..., or xx-388-.., with a "3", that bar is meant to fit the larger saws.

I'd say the first order of business is to call your dealer.

BIG

ArboristSite Member
Thanks for the info

I got the number off the bar but there were a lot of other numbers on it also. I'll check tomorrow and may do the washer trick also.

HUSKYMAN

HUSKYMAN

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have a 20" bar for my 55 and will check the numbers this evening when I get home.

Will someone please tell me what the purpose of the metal guideplate is? Does it keep the oil from "bunching up" behind the cover?

sawracr

sawracr

ArboristSite Operative
BIG, sounds like you have the wrong bar, the bar used for the 55 husky is a K095 mount, do not use the D009 mount it is wider at the tail and can cause your problem. The above mount #s are Oregon and they make Husky bars. Jon

stump grinder

stump grinder

ArboristSite Member
I had the same problem with my 55. Have your dealer call husky, they know the fix. It involves putting in a coulple of gaskets that are oversized. I played around with that problem for months.

Dean Chartier

BIG

ArboristSite Member
Numbers off bar

The bar is a new Husky bar, says "Farm tough" on it. It has the following numbers on both sides:
SLA 20/50 050/1 3
3/8 72DL 107799 FA (or F4)
Made in Canada

I am still very confused with this. Everything looks perfect as far as the mounting of the bar goes. Side plate on the inside looks fine, bar is new, outer side plate looks good. Still have oil running all over around the bar studs and clutch area and not traveling down the "channel" to lube the chain. Help!

Crofter

Crofter

Addicted to ArboristSite
Could the housing casting be cracked? I'd suggest as someone else mentioned to get some washers and a piece of material and clamp it down over the oil hole. Without the side cover on you may be able to see where the oil is going.

BIG

ArboristSite Member
Husky 55 is driving me insane!!!

Fellows I am so screwed up over this saw. I have checked everything I can imagine. This saw was bougth new and ran for 3-4 years on the original bar/chain. Grandfather let it run out of oil (I thought at the time, now I wonder) and ruined bar/chain. Put on a new bar/chain exactly like first one and now it won't get oil to the chain. Believe me, it is oiling like crazy still. Just runs all out under the side cover instead of crawling down the channel to the bar and then to the chain. I took the oiler apart, cleaned it up shiny new, checked filter which had no trash in it at all. Put it back together and it still squirts oil everywhere just like it did before but still not getting to the chain. The bar, plate bar rests on and the side cover plate are all clean and smooth. I have checked until I feel ridiculous. I am to the point that I'm convinced it is something so simple and I'm just missing it. What in the heck could it be? Someone earlier mentioned contacting a dealer about a gasket. How can this be the problems when the saw performed flawless since new without one and has a new bar/chain just like the original one?

sedanman

sedanman

Just cut the piano!!
Not a Husqvarna man myself so I'm not familiar. On all modern Stihls the oiler is connected to the discharge port via a hose, pull the clutch off and see if the oil discharge hose fell off the nipple or is broken.