Husky Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggamefish

Reaction score
I have a 055 Rancher, where I just found out that I welded the ring to the piston. What is the likely hood that I scored the cylinder? They want way to much to rebuild it for me so I am going to tackle the job. The question is, is it worth rebuilding the saw if the cylinder is bad and what am I looking at for a price for the ring and piston??

I just had to deal with this for my 350s, baileys has the cylinder kits for about $100 for the 55.

I rebuilt one 55 Rancher last year that had the ring stuck on one side of piston and compression was just 70 pounds. Purchased a new OEM ring (I think $8.00-$10.00) and new cylinder, muffler, and carb gaskets and used old piston and cylinder after cleaning them up. Total parts were less than $20 and OEM not aftermarket. After this rebuild and several tanks of fuel ran through it, the compression was back up to 157 pounds.

Also, try a search here on muriatic acid for cylinder cleanup. In addition to hand polishing of cylinder, I used this acid to aid the initial removal of heavy material deposited from piston on cylinder wall.

Once you remove the cylinder, you'll know what you have for sure. If your going to do it yourself, the cost for even a piston and cylinder kit will be a lot cheaper than a new saw (lots of parts out there for this model).

I've had good luck sanding out some pretty rough cylinders with emery cloth.
Do the best you can and put a new ring in it. It won't be like new if it runs but it will be cheap. Run it til it blows and then replace it if you think it is worth it. Another 55 for parts would be a good idea.

Take it apart and check it out. All just speculation right now. I bought a 345 off ebay and the piston and cylinder were toast. I bought a meteor piston that arrived before the saw. I noticed that the gouges were below the exhaust port, which meant it could still make compression. I figured since it was junk anyway, I may as well play with it and arbitrarily ported it. Just some "Ahh that looks good" no science about it. It was nasty when I took it apart, and it was still nasty when I put it together. I only cleaned what I needed to get it back together. The whole project was half of half-assed. I didn't even use a ring compressor, and you can't use your fingers on these ones. I cut a piece of scrap flashing and used that. Got it all together, and realized I needed to put the carb rubber on first, so I took it back apart, this has an rtv gasket. Then I put it back together again, never touched the rtv again. Got it all back together and maybe let it set up 5 or 10 minutes while I made the hole under the spark arrestor screen a little bigger, then started her up. She runs great and sounds like a little monster. Sometimes it's the stuff you do that you don't give a crap about that comes out the best.

I have a 055 Rancher, where I just found out that I welded the ring to the piston. What is the likely hood that I scored the cylinder? They want way to much to rebuild it for me so I am going to tackle the job. The question is, is it worth rebuilding the saw if the cylinder is bad and what am I looking at for a price for the ring and piston??

Where are you in NY? I may have some parts you can have.

I live down near albany. I looked at the saw and found the cylinder to be in good shape. I think a new piston and rings with a few gaskets she will be like new.

Latest posts

Back