Husky utility saw selection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Looking to add a saw to the tool shed, have a 3120 now that is used for milling and big felling. Would like to get a smaller saw for fire wood, clearing dead falls and such. I am leaning toward a 346xp but was seeking opinions as to weather a 372xp might be a little heavy for this type of work? I know theres a number of other saws in between these two but for the money I have narrowed to these two models. What do the users of these models have to say? Thnx Bman

I have a 346 and love it. I run it with a 16 inch bar and chain. I have heard the 372 is a very good saw. You may also want to consider the 357XP

I'm in the same boat - I love my 372XP & was considering the new 336 which is very light to do the small stuff. What do you think?

weimdog...Exactly how many grams lighter is the 365 than the 372xp? :p

weimedog said:
I split the difference and got a 365. A 372 was more than I wanted to hang on to hour after hour
You must mean the 372 has more <i>power</i> than you want to hang on to since the saws are the same save for the cylinders and pistons, and weigh almost precisely the same as a result.&nbsp; Oh, and maybe the filter and filter cover; but all the parts interchange.

Glen

The existence of the 365 has been one of life's great mysteries to me.(Along with the smaller Dolmars on the 7900 chassis). I would never prefer a smaller saw on a larger one's chassis. Clearly there are people who reason differently than I do. Glad you like the 365 Weimedog. :angel:

Stumper, they are sold for about $ 100. less! The Cylinder design would be a little cheaper to make, but not 100 bucks worth. They are a bit less peaky than the 372 but sure no lighter. By the time I converted mine I had a pretty expensive 372.

Exactly Glens,

A 365 & 372 weigh about the same. I have put time running a 372 and I am very familiar with the saw. Therefor familiar with BOTH the 365 & 372. My 365 doesn't get me tired and the 372 does. Both cut well with the 372 better in big wood because it makes more power. Sometimes power isn't the only consideration. I also have put time on a 272, 395, & 257 at work. Neither of the '57 series saws cut as fast as my 365 in over 12inch diameter wood. The '57 series is better for smaller stuff and its quite a bit lighter. Funny thing is if I was to do it all over again...I would still get a 365 for a general all around saw. There are other reasons as well. Its a STEAL as they don't ask as much for that saw. Doesn't have the letters. Typically its only a few more bucks than a 357XP. Fortunately I buy based on need instead of numbers and letters. Also it doesn't turn as many RPM's to get the power. Older tune. Softer ..but from what I can feel every bit as effective and actually more forgiving at times. Bet physics comes into play as the years drag on as well. I intend to have that saw for a long time. Good saw. If I was younger, in more of a hurry, AND still had an ego..I would probably buy a 385XP for my all around saw. But as it is I don't think I could buy a better all around saw for the price and performance combination the 365 delivers....mystry?? I don't think so. But as the saying goes...different stroke for different folks, slower....you know the rest. Can't go wrong with any of those mid sized Husqvarna's from a reliability and capability stand point. Both the 357 and 372 are excellent machines. The reason for a spectrum of saws in the product line is to allow a mix & match of capabilities to a customers job & physical requirements. Should you read this as I am a frail old guy..look at the profile. Just practical, and after 20 plus years in the bleeding edge racing & computer world; not nearly as interested in fads and numbers games.

Last edited:
Back