Husq 141/small saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Timothy

Timothy

ArboristSite Member
i'm in the market for a small saw, 38cc at least, i will be using it daily to cut firewood. Lowe's sells the Husqvarna 141 for 200 dollars, however i noticed it bears a resemblance to a Poulan Pro by the model number of 2550. the Husqvarna site lists the 141 as 2.4 cu.inch / 40.2 cm³, the Poulan, 40cc / 2.5 cu inch. if it is in fact the same saw, i may as well get a Poulan 260LE@ 42cc and 159 dollars, by my thinking. the Poulan site says its saws carry a year warranty, i couldn't find any warranty info on Husqvarna. perhaps someone could shed some light.

MacDaddy

MacDaddy

Addicted to ArboristSite
if you could spend more its worth doing it and getting a better saw just go to your local dealer and look around and ask questions Ask the guys on this site and they will give you good info

StumpThumper

StumpThumper

ArboristSite Lurker
The Husky 136 and 141 are made for Husky by Poulan. All the other Huskies are the real deal. I suggest you step up to the Husky 340, 345, or 350. You'll be getting a much better saw. Go to http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/ and click on the link below the chain saw picture (upper left box) that says "Husqvarna Chain Saws". That will give you a quick listing of the specs on the full line.

IndyIan

IndyIan

ArboristSite Operative
I ended up getting a 141 at the local husky dealer knowing that its a poulan. My elderly father in law wanted to split on a small saw and he wanted something cheap. It was only $30 more that the poulan and has a 2 year warrranty and I believe lifetime on the ignition but I might be wrong.
The carb needed some adjustment and 5 minutes later it was adjusted. I don't know what happens at a big box store when a saw needs service or warranty work, maybe they just give you a new one?
Anyways, the EPA list it running within its emmisions rating for 50 hours and it may well last longer than that. Its not much compared to my 372 but as long as its sharp it cuts just fine in small wood and will get though the big stuff eventually although thats why I have the 372.

Ian

Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters

Addicted to ArboristSite
What happens at big box stores when a saw is broken? I found out once, they simply send you to the nearest dealer for the brand of power tool you've got.

sedanman

sedanman

Just cut the piano!!
O.S.A. Once they send you to the nearest stocking/servicing dealer you are at his mercy. He likely has a grudge against the big box store and will put the stuff sold there on the bottom of his priority list. Sometimes the lowest price isn't the best deal.

canguy21

canguy21

ArboristSite Operative
sedanman, we don't treat our box store referrals that way. They are our best service customers. I had a guy come in with an Echo brushcutter he had bought at H-D. He broke something assembling it. This was after problems with two of their cheapies.
I had the same model assembled on the rack. He decided to h**l with it, bought the unit from us after I went through it with him and adjusted the handle and strap.
That H-D store manager probably got carved a new rear body cavity when he returned the first one.

Hambone66

Hambone66

ArboristSite Lurker
After troubles with some saws (for which I got a good amount of help here--thanks, guys), I've settled on a Husky 141. I've been using it like crazy and so far it's a great saw. I expect it to last many years, but only time will tell. Question: Can the chain be upgraded to something really nasty, like a heavier guage or larger teeth? Still a newbie...
Hambone66

Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters

Addicted to ArboristSite
Not without losing a massive amount of power you cant upgrade to a bigger chain. 3/8 lp is the optimum chain for that engine size. just keep it sharp, and you'll be good to go.

Hambone66

Hambone66

ArboristSite Lurker
Thanks, I have one more question. Can tightening the chain too tight cause the oiler to not work correctly? It seemed that when I tightened the chain, that oil dripped out of the bottom of the saw, which I hadn't noticed before?

Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters

Addicted to ArboristSite
Tightening the chain too tight puts undue stress on the crank, seals and bearings. running it too loose, can cause extreme wear on the bar, and sprocket.

scottr
chain , oil

Hambone66 , there's non safety chain for your saw that will cut faster . A tight chain does not cause a oil leak . Maybe the oil that was on the chain dripped off of the lowest area . If you are concerned , after the next time you run your saw take the bar and chain off and see if you have a leak .

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Hambone66 said:
.... Question: Can the chain be upgraded to something really nasty, like a heavier guage or larger teeth? Still a newbie...
Hambone66
Not advicable, as OSA said. The saw doesn't have the power to pull them efficiently.
I assume that the saw came with the 91VG (H36) safety chain. After you have accustomed yourself to the saw, you could try more effective 3/8" lo-pro chain such as Oregon 91VS (H36x), 91P or Stihl 63PM (not PM1).
Of these the 91P is still a safety chain, but it should be more efficient in the cut than 91VG.

Latest posts