Husq 51 Fix, Part out, Sell As-Is, Trade for?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HusqyStihl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
got this off a buddy after he had his friend strip it down to every last nut and bolts (5 gallon bucket saw case came with it). i was told it ran fine before he had his friend tear it down. but why the tear down then???

well now both sides of the crank thread (external have been stripped), missing some parts in the carb including a pin and butterfly with tiny screw (god only knows where that went but i wont be getting it. side muff defelector has been dremeled off which in turn will just melt the clutch cover and brake handle.
and im sure im forgetting alot some other minor issues. (no bar and chain either)

think this would be an easy fix if i "die'd" both crank threads and found the pieces or should i just throw it around as parts?? sell complete (or as is i should say)? i do have a project 261/262 conversion that needs a top-end and other parts and a Husq 36 which runs awesome. anything interchangeable for a Husq 51 or should i move on...? he's a good friend so he didnt screw me intentionally, but his friend sure did. P&C look great. Dirty upon arrival but i clean every last tiny spec off these. damn fine shape now. ill try to post some pics

Swaps for any 261-262xp conversion (my fav saw even though ive never run one) parts i might need? Including: HDA-87 carb (gotta check, it may have one already), clutch cover with working brake, Meteor TOP-END (entire kit but may take the jug to work to see if the shop can determine if its beyond repair), muffler has been modified? then JB-Welded? 3 shoe clutch, top cover (doesnt reeeaaally need one but what the hell but would like to get it running prior to cosmetics)... might be more i need like the 6 Foot Piltz Bar conversion for tackling the limbing jobs without a bucket truck (naaa mean), been collecting dust but ill look tomorrow

what to do, what to do???

Any insight would be great!
Thanks in Advance, Moose!

Husq 51 all back together as best as it can be. I wont even attempt to fire it until all problems have been resolved. Im leaning towards parting it out

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 17
So is that recoil cover from another parts saw you have or did it just come with a 51 cover? How much are you looking to get?

Crap man, sorry, i wrote 55 but i meant to write 51. Any way to edit the headline?? Thats what im gonna try to do right now. My fault! It is not a 55 Rancher, that was a different buddy. I AM talking about a Husq 51. The rancher was another friend, different story but all listed for problems are whats up with the 51. Headin to work soon but i will attempt to change the headline and all posts about the saw name only, nothing wrong with any other info in description. I apologize!!

EDIT*** hope i got that straightened out (Husq 51 NOT Husq 55 Rancher***)

My apologies to all

Oh the 262 will be built one way or another. The jug is salvagable but its the original so ill be replacing the whole top end. Thanks to the saw shop im volunteering at. Pointing me in the write direction. Who knows, may get all the parts for free...

All depends on how much the saw means personally. It probably woundn't be worth a crank, carb, muffler, etc. On the other hand, the aftermarket is pretty reasonably priced for these. One last side note, I've got a buddies 51 apart right now that needs a jug n slug if you wish to part ways with it.

To answer these types of questions "fix or part out"? I work backwards. ie, What is the saw worth in good running condition? How much will it cost to get what I have in that condition? What is the total of what I have in the saw and what it will cost to fix? How much space if any is there between the two sums of what I'll potentially have in it as opposed to the market value?
Sometimes parting a saw is a better financial decision but not always the easiest emotional one.
I occasionally part a saw but I usually fix them because it's what I like to do.

To answer these types of questions "fix or part out"? I work backwards. ie, What is the saw worth in good running condition? How much will it cost to get what I have in that condition? What is the total of what I have in the saw and what it will cost to fix? How much space if any is there between the two sums of what I'll potentially have in it as opposed to the market value?
Sometimes parting a saw is a better financial decision but not always the easiest emotional one.
I occasionally part a saw but I usually fix them because it's what I like to do.
Really good post.

Back