Husqvarna 136

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiwiGirl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Husqvarna 136 Chainsaw Choke was staying out but now it isnt? Why??

Have to turn idle screw out 4 turns+ anti-clockwise to allow choke to stay out. Is this normal?

Husqvarna 136 Chainsaw Choke was staying out but now it isnt? Why??

Have to turn idle screw out 4 turns+ anti-clockwise to allow choke to stay out. Is this normal?

Choke will not stay in the "on" position for a cold start?
Idle screw turned out from where it was to allow choke to stay open- I would suggest not normal.

Got any photographs to help explain what you are asking about?
The 136 is one of those wee Husqvarnas I love to hate, along with the 40-45's, but I am guessing something is worn or broken so the choke rod is not staying in the "on" position, or the air box is full of crud.
I will have parts here for one or three.

Choke will not stay in the "on" position for a cold start?
Idle screw turned out from where it was to allow choke to stay open- I would suggest not normal.

Got any photographs to help explain what you are asking about?
The 136 is one of those wee Husqvarnas I love to hate, along with the 40-45's, but I am guessing something is worn or broken so the choke rod is not staying in the "on" position, or the air box is full of crud.
I will have parts here for one or three.
Exactly what I am thinking too - Not Normal.

What is happening in the saw that allows the choke to stay engaged only by winding out the idle screw???

choke should stay engaged even when idle screw turned all the way in I would have thought.

Got me stumped.

Exactly what I am thinking too - Not Normal.

What is happening in the saw that allows the choke to stay engaged only by winding out the idle screw???

choke should stay engaged even when idle screw turned all the way in I would have thought.

Got me stumped.

Because the idle screw moves the throttle plate relevant to the shaft that holds both the butterfly and the fast idle plate that the choke works on and is held "on" by. Throttle plate on the left side of the carb as viewed from the rear of the saw- fast idle and choke on the right side.
If the saw was running well before you wound out the idle screw- odds are something is not right.
If the saw is something you just picked up as a bargain, someone might have been having problems with it and has tried "tuning" by running the idle screw away in.
Either way, it probably has problems- 136's are good that way!

Here's something I wrote to a customer in 2015 after working with a new carb that I had to install on his Husky 136:

"To start the engine when cold, move ignition switch left and choke it. Do not squeeze the throttle trigger. Pull the cord several times until it pops. Now disengage the choke to automatically set the fast idle. Pull again until it starts. Sounds goofy, but it seems to work. Regardless, you cannot partial choke it together with a fast idle. Once warm, the saw usually starts and runs without a choke and on idle only, but you can set a fast idle by pulling the choke out once and pushing it back in. Squeezing the throttle trigger will always disengage the fast idle."

Not sure if this applies to OP's, but it might. The old carb was a dog and the new one was not that expensive. Suddenly a dead engine roared back to life.

Here's something I wrote to a customer in 2015 after working with a new carb that I had to install on his Husky 136:

"To start the engine when cold, move ignition switch left and choke it. Do not squeeze the throttle trigger. Pull the cord several times until it pops. Now disengage the choke to automatically set the fast idle. Pull again until it starts. Sounds goofy, but it seems to work. Regardless, you cannot partial choke it together with a fast idle. Once warm, the saw usually starts and runs without a choke and on idle only, but you can set a fast idle by pulling the choke out once and pushing it back in. Squeezing the throttle trigger will always disengage the fast idle."

Not sure if this applies to OP's, but it might. The old carb was a dog and the new one was not that expensive. Suddenly a dead engine roared back to life.
You are exactly right on the button mate, that is exactly how I have always successfully started it, and given that I now believe I have worked out why I suddenly started having this issue - fingers crossed I'll be starting it exactly as you have mentioned once again.

Thanks for your feed, spoken by someone with sound experience and knowledge, which I truly respect. Well done to you.

Latest posts

Back