Husqvarna 162 or what & possible P&C kits to fit, IPL and manual wanted

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank Savage

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi,

another "confusement Husky saw lines" thread and begging for help from those with broader insight.

Well, I got from a friend a saw which may be a 162-no stickers, no tag, of course... Another one is coming, so this may get an update.

Features:
Overall 61/66/162/266 look of case and cover
Iron chainbrake handle
48 mm bore, 34 mm stroke
Nine fins on cylinder
Closed port design
54 mm center to center of cylinder mounting holes
56 mm outer dia. of cylinder skirt (which fits into crankcase)
Single piston ring
Two piece SEM ignition, didn´t found yet whole specification
Tillotson carburetor, still didn´t found anyhing else than what seems to be a serial number (S (unclear) 163 032, while there´s a V oriented upside down between the 163 and 032)
Heated handles-not a feature of 61, as far I could get to know
Top cover has IPL No. 501 68 61
Right half of crankcase has No. 501 68 54 V 1 seen in the oil tank
Was bought between 1981-1986 most probably

I didn´t find these numbers in any IPL of so looking and bored saws I was able to locate, so I want to ask if someone is luckier than me.

It needs new P&C, because the piston has broken skirt and the cylinder is toast due to the small lick of missing nicasil above the exhaut port:

If someone knows about how to give it some more life, just write it. The jug is othervise fine, giving under 0,01" ring gap and about 160psi even with the banged up piston. Changing the piston only is way cheaper and I might want to keep one of the saws stock.

If realy a 162, will a 268/272 jug fit the crankcase (the upgrade of 61 this way is known, but I didn´t found anything about the 162)? The top cover must be changed, I know, maybe it´s mounting places altered a bit.

I´m not sure about the state of clutch shoes, since I didn´t found the workshop manual. If someone have, please let me know. Otherwise, the clutch for your judgement:

Also I want to ask about some hint about proper wiring of the heated handles (schemes and pictures welcome). The switch is missing, as maybe even some more parts and the wiring is a whole mess:

Thank you for effort

The metal tank and rear handle point at a 162se or 166se (US only model, often mis-identified as early 266se saws). :msp_wink:

Forgot to ask, what does the number plate say?

Edit, 48mm stroke points at 162se or 61.

Last edited:
NO ID plate as far as I could find. The usual place (below the bar oil cap) has one pretty place with two remainders of very informative small rivets :) Yes, all tanks and handles are metal. Since being from mid-europe, formerly east of Iron courtain, I suppose it´s not an 166.

Last edited:
One quetion forgotten in the original post-is possible to use siletblocks from 372 or other more modern saw, or do they have them way different? Antivibe is total toast here...

NO ID plate as far as I could find. The usual place (below the bar oil cap) has one pretty place with two remainders of very informative small rivets :) Yes, all tanks and handles are metal. Since being from mid-europe, formerly east of Iron courtain, I suppose it´s not an 166.

That's a pity! It could of course be a Yugo made (TOMOS) 61 then (that info would also be on that plate) - but what color is that top cover? I can find nothing that fits 501 68 61, but several that fit 501 68 60.....

Since the bore is 48mm, the options are just the 61 and the 162se.

The top cover is what seems to me a standard, slightly shined out Husqvarna orange. Just the same as seen on the crankcase under the muff. If needed, I will tak some more pictures.

Tomos made? I knew that some Tomos (even recent) single cylinder, two stroke air cooled outboard engines are merely copies of Crescent, but never knew about chainsaws being manufactured there.

But the left side of the handle says Made in Sweeden, albeit in somehow less distinct font-probably partialy flowed by paint and partialy de-sharpen by use.

Edit:
The plastic on caps is still somehow a bit elastic, the sealing rings are as new. This part seems to me very husky, nothing like the stuff I still can remember.
For me today, deep night.

Last edited:
A Tomos made saw would never say "made in Sweden" on it, but it can say "Husqvarna, Sweden" - not the same thing!

Anyway, the numbers in the IPLs don't refer to the cover only, but includes the screws etc as well, and that may explain the different numbers.

OK, so I can take as granted it´s a 162 SG due to heated handles feature. Thanks, Saw Troll
Any hints about proper wiring?
Any hints about the carburetor?

I didn´t found bolt spacing and cylinder skirt dimensions for none of 61/162/268/272, Do anyone have any of these saw somewhere in parts bin and wiling to take the measurements? Or hop in with own 162 to 268/272 mod?

The metal tank and rear handle point at a 162se or 166se (US only model, often mis-identified as early 266se saws). :msp_wink:

Interesting Niko....I too, have seen many metal tank/handles advertised as 266s....so from what you are saying in stock form the only ones to get metal tanks were the 162se and 166se Yes?? The 266 never came that way??? Good to know....

Edit....did the 166se ever come with heated handles?? Or does the 162sg be the only one to have both metal tank and heated handles?? Just fnd this interesting......

Last edited:
Interesting Niko....I too, have seen many metal tank/handles advertised as 266s....so from what you are saying in stock form the only ones to get metal tanks were the 162se and 166se Yes?? The 266 never came that way??? Good to know....

Edit....did the 166se ever come with heated handles?? Or does the 162sg be the only one to have both metal tank and heated handles?? Just fnd this interesting......

I have no evidence that no early 266se saws have the metal tank/rear handle, but it is possible. Many don't know of the existence of the 166se (US only, from 1978), that is why I believe they often are identified as 266se, when the decales are gone (often are).
What pointed me to the 162sg is that it was the only model with a 48mm bore and heated handles - I don't know if there was a 166sg, but the bore would have been 50mm.

I'm pretty sure a Jonsered 630 cylinder is the same as the 162.
If I'm not mistaken the J-red 630 and Husky 162 were the only 2 saws in that series (61, 162, 66, 266, 625, 630, 670 etc..) that had a 48mm closed port cylinder.

Back