husqvarna 180S electronic ignition conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain dangers

partner 1633B (skil) chainsaw
Reaction score
I recently purchased this husky 180S for my collection as a non runner , the ignition was in a quire old state as it looked like a farmer had been at with with a soldering iron trying to mate a stihl capacitor onto it ,but it did have a good coil, so I elected to convert it to electronic ignition with a SIG-01 type chip. whilst I was on I fitted a new 5mm silicone ht lead. the flywheel didn't need timing advanced it worked perfectly straight away with the key in its rightful place. it actually starts pull now from cold. I also fit a new fuel line, filter and carb kit, clutch side oil seal and new oil pump "o"-ring/seal. unfortunately the oiler doesn't appear to be working so further investigation is needed there. I also cleaned out the carbon from the exhaust port/exhaust, gave it a little muffler mod to reduce future build-up of carbon. it hadn't run for a very very long time prior to me purchasing it. the piston and cylinder are in exceptional condition . image of the chip mounted on the bulkhead and video of her up and running. ;o) CD

Attachments

• alpina 0-70, s55, dolmar 116si, husky 180s  9th feb 2019 033.JPG
    alpina 0-70, s55, dolmar 116si, husky 180s 9th feb 2019 033.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 28
  • alpina 0-70, s55, dolmar 116si, husky 180s  9th feb 2019 023.JPG
    alpina 0-70, s55, dolmar 116si, husky 180s 9th feb 2019 023.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 25
  • alpina 0-70, s55, dolmar 116si, husky 180s  9th feb 2019 029.JPG
    alpina 0-70, s55, dolmar 116si, husky 180s 9th feb 2019 029.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 23
Is that chip like a “atom”we use in the states it takes the place of the points? Good idea. I have a 280/380 im not sure what it is yet. I think my 480 cd/285 cd
Have bosh ignitions in them.the 1200/2101 have SEM ignitions. I think there all interchangeable. The chip trick replacing the points works. I have a older homelite that the points are shot a generator too.

Is that chip like a “atom”we use in the states it takes the place of the points? Good idea. I have a 280/380 im not sure what it is yet. I think my 480 cd/285 cd
Have bosh ignitions in them.the 1200/2101 have SEM ignitions. I think there all interchangeable. The chip trick replacing the points works. I have a older homelite that the points are shot a generator too.
its the self grounding chrome type chip Bill (link bellow) it worked straight away , no messing changing flywheel timing. I have successfully used this type of chip on xl12, stihl 031 (needed timing dvance), Lombard comango, dolmar , husky 65, 77, 180, 380.

https://www.lilredbarn.net/product-p/9334.htm

its the self grounding chrome type chip Bill (link bellow) it worked straight away , no messing changing flywheel timing. I have successfully used this type of chip on xl12, stihl 031 (needed timing dvance), Lombard comango, dolmar , husky 65, 77, 180, 380.

https://www.lilredbarn.net/product-p/9334.htm

Have you got any pics as to how its fitted on the 380s???

i've been searching far and wide to find a replacement unit for my one as all my parts saws are only cdi not spark and the parts saw ignitions are toast anyway.

would be really keen to see how its done as this seems to be the fix

Yea my 380s the whole points ignition system was buggered so no point in even salvaging it to make this work. I do have a spare condenser unit from a 380cd but I'm not to crash hot with these things so pictures do justice when it comes to fitting things.

Yea my 380s the whole points ignition system was buggered so no point in even salvaging it to make this work. I do have a spare condenser unit from a 380cd but I'm not to crash hot with these things so pictures do justice when it comes to fitting things.
I fitted the chip to the bulkhead of the saw as in the 1st thumbnail, I popped the flywheel off, removed the condenser, joined and heat-shrunk a wire onto the cut condenser wire going to the coil and then threaded it back under the coil plate and through the grommet with the ht lead and joined it to the kill switch wire with a female spade crimp to push onto the SIG-01 chip bolted to the bulkhead, I had to drill a hole in the bulkhead for a nut and bolt, sanded the paint off to get a good ground/earth for the chip.

I fitted the chip to the bulkhead of the saw as in the 1st thumbnail, I popped the flywheel off, removed the condenser, joined and heat-shrunk a wire onto the cut condenser wire going to the coil and then threaded it back under the coil plate and through the grommet with the ht lead and joined it to the kill switch wire with a female spade crimp to push onto the SIG-01 chip bolted to the bulkhead, I had to drill a hole in the bulkhead for a nut and bolt, sanded the paint off to get a good ground/earth for the chip.

Sounds good. Cheers

This has been around for over two decades. I have some older homelite chainsaws and older tractors that need this installed too. I hate cleaning the points all the time.

This has been around for over two decades. I have some older homelite chainsaws and older tractors that need this installed too. I hate cleaning the points all the time.
I think they may be different modules for four stroke engines bill ? but there's no harm trying one of those Oregon or sig tyupe modules? after all a two stroke may work on a four stroke but not necessarily the other way around ? no harm in trying ? link bellow for a module which suits larger engines bill. they be something similar closer to home , you can use this as a reference bud. CD

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replace-Points-With-This-Ignition-Unit-Fits-Briggs-Stratton-Honda-Robin-Kohler/361543709219?hash=item542daf3223:g:YicAAOSw1vlUsZej

I think they may be different modules for four stroke engines bill ? but there's no harm trying one of those Oregon or sig tyupe modules? after all a two stroke may work on a four stroke but not necessarily the other way around ? no harm in trying ? link bellow for a module which suits larger engines bill. they be something similar closer to home , you can use this as a reference bud. CD
Should work fine on a 4 stroke. It'll fire just before TDC on the exhaust stroke as well as on compression. No harm done.

Latest posts

Back