Husqvarna 181se

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob454

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Alright, so I've been in the market for a larger chainsaw for doing firewood. I got online and fell into a basically free 181se It has really good compression, gets fuel, but no spark. I cant seem to find any information on testing chainsaw coils and I am not the type to throw parts at anything.

All help is appreciated.

By the way this place is great I have been lurking for over a year and decided to make a profile because hell why not.

I have one now with no spark.
Thers a little blue electronic module by carb that has broken ground tab on it. May be a posibility.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

That what is broke.on mine
b9d3824c7a3b811974e8253f3eed8126.jpg

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

20170826_162358.jpg
Alright, so I've been in the market for 20170826_162358.jpg a larger chainsaw for doing firewood. I got online and fell into a basically free 181se It has really good compression, gets fuel, but no spark. I cant seem to find any information on testing chainsaw coils and I am not the type to throw parts at anything.

All help is appreciated.

By the way this place is great I have been lurking for over a year and decided to make a profile because hell why not.
66.00 ebay for both it was cheaper for both lol.
I just rebuilt 2 288s and i had to replace one of the coils great saw's worth putting money into .
Same as 181 281.

Pulled the kill switch wire off and still no dice, I am going to check for broken wires on the coil and check for continuity at least.

I bought an old junker 61 with pretty much the same ignition system. It also had no spark. The pick up module at the front of the saw produced a small ac voltage when I pulled the rope, so I figured it was good. When I checked the actual coil with an ohm meter, it had a dead short between the terminal going to the pick up module and the the coil ground so I figured it was bad. Ordered a new coil among a few other things, and now have an old white top 61 that runs like the day it was new.

Pulled the kill switch wire off and still no dice, I am going to check for broken wires on the coil and check for continuity at least.
Good idea.
Just a thought here, try pulling on the starter in the dark with the cover off to see if perhaps there's a spark shorting out somewhere else.
I had a spark plug wire that was cracked. The crack was hidden under a sleeve that was used to protect the plug wire going through the metal body. This was on a Stihl 076. Definitely check all wires for cracks on older saws.
Let us know how you progress.

Good idea.
Just a thought here, try pulling on the starter in the dark with the cover off to see if perhaps there's a spark shorting out somewhere else.
I had a spark plug wire that was cracked. The crack was hidden under a sleeve that was used to protect the plug wire going through the metal body. This was on a Stihl 076. Definitely check all wires for cracks on older saws.
Let us know how you progress.

Finally had time to tear the saw apart last night and found the wire broken where it connects to the pick up, plugged it in threw some fresh 2 stroke in it and the thing kicks like a mule. My shoulder is still sore. so that brings me to my new question. can I run 50:1 in this thing or do I need a 3rd seperate 2 stroke fuel tank.

+1 40/1 for over 30 year's on my saw's never had a failure.
The debate on oils and mix rate is endless lol

Oil debates are thread killers unfortunately in anything you do, all I have at the house is 24:1 and 50:1 so I put a small amount in it for now but Ill get a 3rd gas can for this thing.

Finally had time to tear the saw apart last night and found the wire broken where it connects to the pick up, plugged it in threw some fresh 2 stroke in it and the thing kicks like a mule. My shoulder is still sore. so that brings me to my new question. can I run 50:1 in this thing or do I need a 3rd seperate 2 stroke fuel tank.
Glad you found the bad wire and made the fix. Thanks for sharing. Happy cutting.

Latest posts

Back