Husqvarna 185CD Head Bolts NOT Metric....?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They do sell inch sizes at home centers in Japan... You could also try an automotive parts supplier. They are located all over the place.

PS: Found one at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.jp/KTC-9-5sq-ロングヘキサゴンビットソケット-16inch-BT3-3/dp/B002NK3FKW/ref=sr_1_4?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1408516993&sr=1-4&keywords=3/16 inch

Holy cow dude how did you find that?
I did look, honestly but I could not find that one, wow, I'm impressed, I just ordered it, Domo!

I did get the darn cylinder off, finally!
My addled brain remembered that one of my woodworking tools, an Incra Jig, uses inch stuff, and they include this long 3/16" hex screwdriver tool. I have two as I own two Incra jigs, so I took the plastic handle off of one and stuck it in a 5mm socket, then I put a big half inch drive breaker bar on that the clamped the whole saw in my woodworking vice, fingers crossed and pull, carefully..... "Ping" goes each hex bolt in succession, and I'm free and clear!

IMG_8449.JPG

The piston has a coating of carbon in it.

IMG_8450.JPG

I think the piston is in fair shape, considering this is a 38 year old saw.

IMG_8451.JPG

IMG_8452.JPG

IMG_8453.JPG

IMG_8454.JPG

IMG_8455.JPG

IMG_8456.JPG

Some blow by, I guess I'll be looking for new rings for this piston.

IMG_8457.JPG

I cleaned off the carbon and the top has "N5" and "B" stamped on it, as well as the arrow pointing towards the exhaust port (?)

IMG_8459.JPG

The intake side of the piston, no real scratches, just a mark there that will come off if I hit it with the green scrubby pad some more, I think.

IMG_8458.JPG

The exhaust side of the piston, these are the worst scratches I can find, I think this will be OK to reuse.

The top of the cylinder was also coated with carbon, the cylinder itself looks nice and clean, no scratches etc. The carbon was quite built in the squish band area, as well as around the spark plug hole, that is all gone now, and it is shiny and clean.

So I'm thinking that I should replace the bearing on the wrist pin, while I have this apart, replace the piston rings and then put it back together. The gasket on the base looks OK, but if I can get another one I should replace that too, right?

Thoughts?

Pics of the inside of the cylinder....

IMG_8460.JPG

Top of the cylinder, fairly clean now

IMG_8461.JPG

Intake side, that black mark is not a scratch, you cannot feel it at all,
it will come off with some more green scrubby pad action I'm sure, unless that is somehow a bad idea...?

IMG_8462.JPG

Exhaust side

IMG_8463.JPG

IMG_8464.JPG

The sides of the cylinder.

What do you think, do I have something I can rebuild, and work with or....?

Cheers!

That piston is fine. I've seen saws with minor scratches like that with less than 2 hours on them.

Thanks, that is what I thought too.

Now I wait for parts, I have a new carb on order from Tillotson, and a bunch of other bits and pieces, rings, a new fuel filter etc, when I get the parts I hope to put this old saw back together and get another 38 years out of it :D

Latest posts

Back