Husqvarna 2100 CD Thin Ring Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homelitesuperxl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently picked up an Extremely nice Husqvarna 2100CD and was wondering about these Thin Rings I've read so much about. Was this an Option for these 2100's or did they just randomly put Thin Rings in Some and Thick in others and how did anyone know what they were getting when they bought the Saws New. I read in another thread that the Thick rings were 1.5 mm and Thin were .7mm

I pulled the Exhaust and mine certainly didn't look like they were 1.5 mm thick, but not sure. Does anyone have a Really clear picture of a Thick ring Piston and a Thin Ring Piston side by side, so I can see the difference. I'm just really curious about this. Thank you

Last edited:
And it is 1.5mm for thick rings. That seems like an awful Thick ring to me. Do you know if Husqvarna just Randomly put Thin in some and Thick rings in other 2100's

1100CD

orange001.jpg

The thin rings came on a different looking piston,it had a full skirt with long windows on each side. I think the thin rings were referred to as "Steel" rings,they weren't cast because you could twist them without breaking. One thing I noticed on them was they were very low tension. You used to be able to order either piston and rings.

On the far right is a 2100CD thin ring piston. Middle is a 2101 1.5mm thick ring piston. Far left is an Efco/Olympyk 999 piston.

I've never been convinced of the "superiority" of the thin ring piston in most applications. In work saws I prefer 1.2mm rings.

P2050171.jpg

O.P I went through some pages in my 2101xp thread, and Greg posted a 2100 pdf file, with a manual on the saws. Great info, and well to much info to repost over there if you want to read up. It was the talk of many pages in there. Norm............

my piston is like the one in the middle with the 1.5mm rings.
the rings are pinned outside the exhaust port when the arrow on top is pointing forward, is this correct ?
is the wrist pin offset on this piston ?
most other pistons seem to be pinned on the intake side. could it be turned around, or not ?

Jacob,Mike, I think that middle piston was the mainstay for 2100 and 2101. There was the original 2100 piston and that changed early on to the middle type. with the thin ring being an alternate. From my reading I think the thin ring may have been destined for certain areas like west coast and BC....but of coasre could be ordered...I have the theroy that the thin rings may have been supplied on the saws fitted with the "jungle type" mufflers....but as 99.9% of 2100's have been bastardized I doubt it can be proven

2100 thin rings

Having both a 2101 Thick ring and a 2100 thin ring I will say the thin ring has more RPM's as long as the governor is bypassed. Most all the 2100 here in Wa. I've seen are West Coast thin rings.
Theory I BELIEVE is that the steel thin rings provide long life span in High demand apps. (Jungle Models for high heat), they always feel low on compression but build more at RPM's. There isn't much wear between Chrome lining and Steel rings. And less chance of broken rings.

All in all I'm a big fan of thin rings, in 2100, Pioneer and Homy's, but prices are MORE

The 2100 thin ring piston has the highest flow, matched with a JUNGLE cylinder.

Duane

The thin-ring saws might turn higher RPM, but my experience has been that they don't hold RPM in the cut as well
running long bars in large softwood. I ran a thin-ring 2100 for a time on a job over by the coast and the diameter
average was around 40" in Doug Fir and Hemlock. I was running a 42" bar. I threw a NOS 2101XP piston and rings
in that saw and it was much, much better. Also, the service life on the thin rings is less. The thin rings wear out much
faster than the 1.2 or 1.5 rings.
I had better experience with the thin ring pistons in a Pioneer P-62. That may due though to the fact that it's a reed-
valve saw. Same thing with the larger Macs. I still use the thick ring pistons in the reed valve saws if I can find them.

The thin-ring saws might turn higher RPM, but my experience has been that they don't hold RPM in the cut as well
running long bars in large softwood. I ran a thin-ring 2100 for a time on a job over by the coast and the diameter
average was around 40" in Doug Fir and Hemlock. I was running a 42" bar. I threw a NOS 2101XP piston and rings
in that saw and it was much, much better. Also, the service life on the thin rings is less. The thin rings wear out much
faster than the 1.2 or 1.5 rings.
I had better experience with the thin ring pistons in a Pioneer P-62. That may due though to the fact that it's a reed-
valve saw. Same thing with the larger Macs. I still use the thick ring pistons in the reed valve saws if I can find them.

Well now let me see. I don't often disagree with you JJ, on this one maybe. Send me those junky thin ring pistons. I will build a saw with new rings on a thin and a thick and we will do a compare.
BTW the old loggers loved the thin ring 2100 for the reason they changed the rings after each season and the cylinder hardly had any wear. One wood yard fellow claimed he got over 100 cords of oak on a 2100. He really liked that saw! A cord here is 4x4x8 stacked tightly and 100 is a lot. About $18-20K earnings (gross) on one saw is good return. Mike

Good photos Jacob. In other threads there was debate of rings being pinned on the exhaust side,I thought the 2100 was an example but I wasn't sure,now I see it is.

Latest posts

Back