Husqvarna 257 acting funny

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad I can help Keith.

I don't know, that decompression valve cleaning seems to have upped the pull cord resistance. I don't have the saw back together yet, but the difference in pull tension between compression valve depressed and not depressed is much more noticeable now. I wonder if something got lodged in there during all that cutting (where have I read that before, hmmmm). Wouldn't be the first time you guys were right. Will report back later this week.

What's the compression tester say now? Hold the throttle wide open and crank until the needle stops moving

What's the compression tester say now? Hold the throttle wide open and crank until the needle stops moving

Just went out and hooked it up to the compression tester. 135 the first time I tested it. Did it a second time and it was 120. A little lower than the 140 it ran (not on my tester) before I bought it. I never base-lined it on my own tester after I bought it (darn it). Is it normal for a saw to test a little lower on two consecutive cold tests?

Just went out and hooked it up to the compression tester. 135 the first time I tested it. Did it a second time and it was 120. A little lower than the 140 it ran (not on my tester) before I bought it. I never base-lined it on my own tester after I bought it (darn it). Is it normal for a saw to test a little lower on two consecutive cold tests?

Are you pulling it till the gauge quits going up?

The more you futz with it without actually running it, the lower the compression will get. Your fuel is your lubricant and turning it over without running it will wash down the cylinder walls and give lower than actual compression.

The more you futz with it without actually running it, the lower the compression will get. Your fuel is your lubricant and turning it over without running it will wash down the cylinder walls and give lower than actual compression.

I've been messing with it quite a bit lately over the past couple days (testing the cord) but have not actually run it. Odd though that I would get two such different readings (135 vs 120 psi) only a minute apart.

I hate when these threads go dead and leave us hanging. I think half these guys right for my local paper, they never finish a story either.

Update please.......I need reading material, I canceled my paper. Lol

The thread isn't dead persay. He sent it to me as he mentioned earlier. It's going to get some bench time this weekend, I will keep you posted.

Since I know you're dying for a money shot..

IMG_20160506_135936.jpg

Going to break her down next week and put a new ring in her, see how she does.

Next week!!!! That picture isn't going to hold me off till next week!!! LOL
Come on crack her chest open.

Sounds like I may have run her too lean for the work we were doing, meaning I should have gone with something richer than a 50:1 ratio. Lesson learned. Hopefully it's just the ring as Kennypete suspects. Patience grasshoppers, he'll let us know in due time.

I think I would unscrew that decomp and float test it in a pond. Put a plug in it and then retest. It's a 57cc saw....no decomp necessary.

Kenny Pete gave me an update and sent a picture (that I'm having a tough time posting from work) of the compression now at 150 psi (yeah!!). Kenny noted the following:

1) Piston looks great
2) Cylinder has been previously honed and has a couple tiny horizontal scratches; one intake side and one exhaust side. He wasn't sure if these could be adding to the previous compression problem. I mentioned to him it ran at 140 psi before I purchased it, so it was decent until I apparently ran it too hard and lean. He said we could do a new cylinder or just try the ring. We went ring only and got 150 psi. I'm fully good with that. I bet that saw never got above 160 PSI new.
3) The ring it had in it looked OK, but didn't appear to be OEM. The one he put in is OEM.

I'm going to run it a little more gently for a bit and with a closer to 1:33 mix ratio during break in. Hopefully I can keep the compression up. If not, I guess a new cylinder is in order someday.

So, he's getting her back together and will be sending her home. Kenny has been such a great help and very knowledgeable. I think the diagnosis was free and I'm happy to pay his fix-it rate, parts and shipping of course.

Case closed it seems.

Latest posts

Back