Husqvarna 257 shut down while running...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck21387

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I picked up this Husqvarna 257 with a 20" bar from a close friend of mine (one i trust) and he said that his dad used it back in the day(2 years ago). He sold it to me for $75, and when i picked it up, i asked "Does it fire up?" to which he responded..."i dunno, lets see" so he flipped the choke on, gave it a yank and it fired up on the first pull!! Woo hoo i thought, a new (to me) saw for $75, it ran for about 10 seconds, then shut down. It was about 45 degrees outside, and he had just pulled it out of his truck toolbox.

So, over the next 10 minutes i'd choke it, pull it, start it, and it would run about 10-30 seconds except once when it ran for almost 2 minutes straight...not WOT, just kinda working the throttle, and keeping it alive. Then it stopped running, and now there's NO spark at all, i've pulled the plug and looked for spark that way, i've pulled the pulley off and the ignition module "looks" fine, of course i don't know what i'm looking for, there was no burn marks or anything from a short, (i guess there could be an internal short) but i wouldn't think it would just DIE!! ANY help from anyone who's experienced similar situations??

Thanks in advance
Chuck

Hmm,are you sure there is no spark,because saw with electronic ignition makes a"thin"spark and be sure the spark is well grounded.The way you describe your problem,looks more like a fuel problem,the carb needs to be opened because the inlet tends to stick if she was stopped for 2 years .

SawTroll said:
Have you tried to open the fuel cap, and try again - it could be the tank went that is clogged, creating a vacuum.
When i got it home, the first thing i did was drain the old fuel and put in about a half tank of fresh. 40:1 mixed.

SawTroll said:
I teke it for granted yhat you checked if it was flooded, when you had the plug out......
Yeah, i guess i should give a little background about my hobbies.

I'm a "backyard" mechanic, i love turning wrenches, and have done so since i was 15...mom and dad REALLY loved my first project truck...rebuilt the engine in their garage..the entire place was covered in oil and grease!! So, i have experience with engines, though 2cycles are definately not something i've worked on much...i've replaced piston rings in them and mostly fuel pump diaphrams (seems to fix most of my problems) but when i don't get spark...i start to wonder, that's the first thing i check to make sure i have every time somethings not running...so...i'm trying to figure out why it would work, then just up and quit like that...

Back