• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Husqvarna 257

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pulled it out today. Will clean it, put a bar and chain on it, and post more pics tomorrow.

155lbs cold compression.

New piston and ring
Gasket delete for .020 squish
New ignition coil
New fuel line
Carb cleaned + new gaskets

Looking for $250 shipped, or $225 power head only.

Attachments

• IMG_20160411_125542.jpg
    IMG_20160411_125542.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
Sweet. Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to get a nice one. I'm interested in yours for sure. First dibs (since it's my post LOL). Thanks again KennyPete.

Pulled it out and ran it today, wanted to fall on it's face at wide open throttle. Found a pinhole leak in the carb diaphragm. Rebuilding it today if I find parts, will be good to go soon

What kind/size of bar and chain is that? 3/8" or .325. and is it 20" long?

Also, is one of the fins bent? Semi visible just to the right of the decompression valve.

Just checking.
Thanks.

I will check it out later. Will bend it back if its bent.

OEM husqvarna bar and chain. 3/8. Bar has been dressed and repainted. Plenty of life left in it. Chain is like new

Thanks. I like the idea of it being 155 PSI cold. That's a solid reading. Let me know how it works out with the diaphragm fix. Oh, and what's a "gasket delete for a 0.020 squish"?

Parts coming tomorrow as far as the carb goes. Could only order a whole kit, so all the carb gaskets will be replaced as well.

As far as squish goes - I had it apart to replace the ring, ended up changing out the piston as well even though it didn't need it. Ideally you want .019-.022 of squish (space between the piston and the top of the cylinder). Without the bottom gasket it was .020 so I discarded the gasket and used copper sealant.

Interesting on the squish mod. I'm new to chainsaw lingo, but I get the picture. I need to do some Googling on mods to see if I want to go with one that is modded. I don't want to get into odd maintenance issues or carb settings I'm not prepared for. Let's stay in touch. I remain interested but can't say I'm 100%.

for $225 shipped running mint your stealing it. it's also a very clean example of a 257. make him leave the bent fin cause the price will go up to $300 shipped with it straightened lol nice saw!

Yeah I tend to agree. Looks like a nice saw. I just got a little punchy about the gasket delete. Sounds pretty slick now that I read more about it. Just didn't want it being a pain for me to deal with if I had to work on the saw later in its life. Please keep me posted on the gasket work. Thanks.

I completely rebuilt the carb, then it developed a new issue. Wants to flood. Tried playing with the carb, had it apart about 10x. Ready to just order a new one.

If you want it as-is, let me know and we can work something out. Otherwise I'm going to splurge on the new carb, price will go up accordingly.

Understood. So the entire carb kit you ordered didn't fix the problem with the carb? So it needs the entire carb replaced? Just trying to get clear on what ails it.

Sounds like maybe you didn't set the metering lever properly when you rebuilt the carb. Put a straight edge across the carb and set the lever flush with the edge. Hope that's all it is.

What a nice 257!!!! Can't find one that nice too often.

Fixed it.. Made no sense but it runs now.

@Welder56 - that's what I was thinking, but it wasn't the issue. Plastic fuel inlet was messed up.

Off to the lake for the weekend.

Latest posts

Back