Husqvarna 261 wont fire up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OBDMoose

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Recently acquired a Husq 261. Guy claimed he borrowed it from a friend, used it (apparently ran fine while in use for him the once) but afterward, it was done and friend decided not to come get it back. He said he took it to a "chinsa man" (mexican dude) but no luck with Mr Chinsa man to R&R it. So it sat in his warehouse. I did some HVAC work for this guy and in the meantime he was in the process of emptying the warehouse (everything IMO was garbage until i saw the Husq in the corner). 4 hours of wiring i mentioned gimme the saw and we'll call it even for the day. DEAL! Its in "good" condition. Whats it worth?... After a quick teardown to check the internals, i didnt get too far before i found what looks to be the chainbreak turned housefire. Seems as tho someone ran it with the chainbreak on full? Is that possible? Melted plastics, burnt black. Ive been wanting to ask him if it smoked a bit while he ran it. So i kept goin, removed what was left of the break. Everything else looks mint. I flushed and filled with fresh (correct) fluids and mixes. Plug looks brand new. Painted some plastics so she looks good. Just doesnt wanna fire up. Whats next? I own alot of demo saws but just recently started getting into Chinsa's after a buddy threw what looked to be a brand new mcCullough EagerBeav 2.0 at me (turned out all plastic gas, primer bulb, and oil tubings were weathered to the point of cracking into pieces so i bought the kit to repair it. Then came the Husq 261, shortly after, a Stihl 015AV (which surprisingly after 10 years of sitting, fresh fluids, still a **** bar and chain on it, fired up a runs like a champ. Like i said, new to chainsaws, which direction should i go here?? Any advice would be appreciated so i can get this big bastard runnin and saw my shin to the bone please :) and how would i find out how old this thing is. Im less concerned about age after seeing what the crap lookin Stihl did being 15 or more years old according to dude who bartered it to me..

This guy blow this saw up running the balls off it? He doesnt seem all that smart, but what do i know about chainsaws (prior to 2 weeks ago)...

image.jpg image.jpg

That reminds me, did i happen to read sonewhere about upgrading the muffler (or porting it) and some other mods to turn it into a ???XP with alot more pep?? Im down with the mods!

Ive got an older auto/truck compression tester. Wonder if i could use that (even if i need a fitting to comp test). Replacing with 262 muffler makes it a 262Xp or just boosts power? Coulda sworn cylinder, piston and exhaust could raise the power immensly and i believe those mods would match or exceed the 262XP. Ive got someone interested in buying as is but i think id prefer a Husq to keep. What would be a decent "as is" pricetag on this machine?

Also, im 1/2 hour south of Albany, NY. Ive found "Max Woods" repair shop thatll work on husqs and stihls but i get more of a chubby knowing that i overcame (no pun intended). I may re-teardown tomorrow afternoon and ill let ya know what i find in there, if anything at all that is. He might have smelted the piston and cyl but chain spins and pulls fine but just no luck even with the smallest burp showing me that its attempting to do anything...

Piston gives. 7hp. Opening the muffler gives some more.

The 261 muffler is a little more restrictive than a 262 muffler but not much.

Auto compression testers won't give accurate readings on an engine as small as a saw.

261 and 262 use the same cylinder with a slightly different muffler. The 261 muffler had a dished crown whereas the 262 is flat. The 261 uses a 2 shoe clutch and the 262 uses a three.

If you decide to pass this one along, let me know.

These Husq 261's worth anything? Ive got more saws comin, down for a year due to seizure. Gotta keep the projects goin. Thanks about the auto comp test advice. I can diagnose any car or truck, but these little motors seem a bit more difficult but i love the challenge plus i cant fit my F250 S/D Service Truck on the kitchen table to tinker with over the winter months

i'm not being a dink but just curious what you charge as an HVAC installer? 4 hours at the rate of the guys who did my house makes an expensive 261!!!

The muffler can also be openex for further gains.
12j.jpg
uk3.jpg

i'm not being a dink but just curious what you charge as an HVAC installer? 4 hours at the rate of the guys who did my house makes an expensive 261!!!

Im not certified just yet, will be. More like helping a friend out and noticed he was gonna toss a Husq in the dumpster. Not on my watch. Just got his warehouse heat (blower motors) wired for the winter. Guy is going into foreclosure so i did what i could for him and worked out for both parties (if i can get this Husq-a-runnin and modded. Just stayin active thats all. Try to do what i can for others in need.

i would repair and run the saw as is if the piston is fine. a 261 doesn't run bad. i mean, it ain't no 262 but they run ok.

Is there a forum or any type of step-by-step with pics for the muffler mod? Thinkin i may get into the muffler today.

Back