Husqvarna 262xp frustration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

almondgt

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I don't have the parts to complete this project. What would you do?

husqvarna262xpnos002.jpg

husqvarna262xpnos010.jpg

husqvarna262xpnos006.jpg

husqvarna262xpnos007.jpg

husqvarna262xpnos008.jpg

How long have you been collecting parts? If you decide to sell it off, I am definitely interested in the clutch cover.

1990 week 20 is an early one, make sure you put a HDA-87 in it (or open the venturi on a HDA-120, if you have to settle for that one). :msp_wink:

1990 week 20 is an early one, make sure you put a HDA-87 in it (or open the venturi on a HDA-120, if you have to settle for that one). :msp_wink:

Looking at the IPL's for the HDA-87 and the HDA-120 in regards to opening the venturi on the HDA-120 requires locating HDA-87 carb parts as follows: larger throttle valve and a throttle shaft assembly and a larger choke flap. It appears those parts are NLA from Husqvarna. There may be alternative parts/part numbers that I am unaware of. The 262xp will suffer:angry: using the HDA-120 carb but using it on the 262xp is better than nothing.:givebeer:

What's lacking with the 257 crank? I have a couple of recently acquired 257's. One will definitely be built into a 262, the other one may remain a 257 or it may become a 262 also.

I just built two 262s for a friend while on the road. I tried using 257 cranks in them and the rods were too short. The stroke was the same but the rods are shorter and the 262 piston ends up at TDC about 1/4" below the squish band. I had to split the case and use a 254 crank and that worked fine.

I just built two 262s for a friend while on the road. I tried using 257 cranks in them and the rods were too short. The stroke was the same but the rods are shorter and the 262 piston ends up at TDC about 1/4" below the squish band. I had to split the case and use a 254 crank and that worked fine.

Well, that explains a lot. One of the two I picked up recently was a from a poster that was trying to put an AM 262 kit on a 257. Some of you might remember the thread bc he could only get 120psi. I was assuming he had a bad kit, a leaky decomp, or a bad tester; I didn't consider a fourth option. Oh well, I have good 262 cranks in bad cases, so I guess I'll be order gasket kits and splitting some saws.

Well, that explains a lot. One of the two I picked up recently was a from a poster that was trying to put an AM 262 kit on a 257. Some of you might remember the thread bc he could only get 120psi. I was assuming he had a bad kit, a leaky decomp, or a bad tester; I didn't consider a fourth option. Oh well, I have good 262 cranks in bad cases, so I guess I'll be order gasket kits and splitting some saws.

Yep. I always thought the 257 and 261/262 used the same crank but they don't. I built a whole run of 261/262s in the late 90's and swore I thought I used 257 cranks in some of them but that wasn't the case.

Latest posts

Back