Husqvarna 262xp not starting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gave it one last shot with a bar and chain and checking to see if it flooded. Think it needed the throttle screw opened up a bit. IT RUNS! Lots of ringing/pinging from the clutch cover. If I hit the throttle it disappears sometimes for 10-15 seconds and you only hear the motor. The motor sounds very nice, smooth idle when turning on all sides. One turn out on the high gave a nice mild 4 stroke, I richened it a bit it a bit for break in. Something is up with the clutch/clutch drum/chain break I will have to look tomorrow. It runs nice for the moment in any case had it going about 5 min. I am now late for work.:)

Thanks. It is hard to pick out the engine sound at idle when it is clanging but when it is not you can hear how smooth it is running. I noticed the brake band does not sit tight against the clutch cover when disengaged, I think I will throw a new one in and see how it goes. I changed over to the later worm gear style clutch drum system, the drum may be slightly beefier/bigger than the original.

Man it takes awicked fast and long pull to start this thing. I am not talking about how hard you have to pull obviously since it has a good bit of compression it takes a harder pull to turn it over but if you don't pull as fast as possible and basically the whole length of the starter rope it ain't startin. I don't know if this is symptomatic of a weak coil or something else but it seems a bit excessive.

Also I am pretty sure the noise from the clutch drum is being caused by a weak clutch spring so I will replace that and see what happens.
both of mine rattle and bang at idle there is a bit of wear on the clutch dogs and one of them was a bit worn at an angle so swapped another from a spare one and assembled it i cut one of the springs about 1/2 inch and twisted a loop on one end and refitted it and it was still the same but not as bad , got an OEM one and its still the same , think thats the way they are unless the whole shebang is replaced which isnt cheap unless a chinese copy , both of mine have the brass worm gear type set up so i dont know if thats any different

both of mine rattle and bang at idle there is a bit of wear on the clutch dogs and one of them was a bit worn at an angle so swapped another from a spare one and assembled it i cut one of the springs about 1/2 inch and twisted a loop on one end and refitted it and it was still the same but not as bad , got an OEM one and its still the same , think thats the way they are unless the whole shebang is replaced which isnt cheap unless a chinese copy , both of mine have the brass worm gear type set up so i dont know if thats any different
I swapped the spring and it is the same. I also had swapped over mine to the clutch drum engaged worm gear.

I swapped the spring and it is the same. I also had swapped over mine to the clutch drum engaged worm gear.
i do have a tiny bit of rocking on clutch drum needle bearing so that might be a bit of it too , no wear on the crank or the drum so maybe the bearing has a lost a bit of tolerance , might get one to see if thats difference of try one from a newer model saw i have if the OD is the same on the crank rattling a bit doesnt bother me much as it runs fine , but be nice to get it reduced , my 2004 395 xp sits idling and sounds lovely , ticking away smooth as a watch and sounds more like a motocrosser compared to any of my other saws :) and the clutch drum wobbles about the same amount as the 262 so dunno really

Latest posts

Back