Husqvarna 262xp not starting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BonScott46

BonScott46

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
Gave it one last shot with a bar and chain and checking to see if it flooded. Think it needed the throttle screw opened up a bit. IT RUNS! Lots of ringing/pinging from the clutch cover. If I hit the throttle it disappears sometimes for 10-15 seconds and you only hear the motor. The motor sounds very nice, smooth idle when turning on all sides. One turn out on the high gave a nice mild 4 stroke, I richened it a bit it a bit for break in. Something is up with the clutch/clutch drum/chain break I will have to look tomorrow. It runs nice for the moment in any case had it going about 5 min. I am now late for work.:)

BonScott46

BonScott46

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
Thanks. It is hard to pick out the engine sound at idle when it is clanging but when it is not you can hear how smooth it is running. I noticed the brake band does not sit tight against the clutch cover when disengaged, I think I will throw a new one in and see how it goes. I changed over to the later worm gear style clutch drum system, the drum may be slightly beefier/bigger than the original.

BonScott46

BonScott46

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
Man it takes awicked fast and long pull to start this thing. I am not talking about how hard you have to pull obviously since it has a good bit of compression it takes a harder pull to turn it over but if you don't pull as fast as possible and basically the whole length of the starter rope it ain't startin. I don't know if this is symptomatic of a weak coil or something else but it seems a bit excessive.

roy wilson

roy wilson

ArboristSite Lurker
Also I am pretty sure the noise from the clutch drum is being caused by a weak clutch spring so I will replace that and see what happens.
both of mine rattle and bang at idle there is a bit of wear on the clutch dogs and one of them was a bit worn at an angle so swapped another from a spare one and assembled it i cut one of the springs about 1/2 inch and twisted a loop on one end and refitted it and it was still the same but not as bad , got an OEM one and its still the same , think thats the way they are unless the whole shebang is replaced which isnt cheap unless a chinese copy , both of mine have the brass worm gear type set up so i dont know if thats any different

BonScott46

BonScott46

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
both of mine rattle and bang at idle there is a bit of wear on the clutch dogs and one of them was a bit worn at an angle so swapped another from a spare one and assembled it i cut one of the springs about 1/2 inch and twisted a loop on one end and refitted it and it was still the same but not as bad , got an OEM one and its still the same , think thats the way they are unless the whole shebang is replaced which isnt cheap unless a chinese copy , both of mine have the brass worm gear type set up so i dont know if thats any different
I swapped the spring and it is the same. I also had swapped over mine to the clutch drum engaged worm gear.

roy wilson

roy wilson

ArboristSite Lurker
I swapped the spring and it is the same. I also had swapped over mine to the clutch drum engaged worm gear.
i do have a tiny bit of rocking on clutch drum needle bearing so that might be a bit of it too , no wear on the crank or the drum so maybe the bearing has a lost a bit of tolerance , might get one to see if thats difference of try one from a newer model saw i have if the OD is the same on the crank rattling a bit doesnt bother me much as it runs fine , but be nice to get it reduced , my 2004 395 xp sits idling and sounds lovely , ticking away smooth as a watch and sounds more like a motocrosser compared to any of my other saws :) and the clutch drum wobbles about the same amount as the 262 so dunno really

Latest posts