Husqvarna 262XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has a strange score on the piston. It comes from just to the side of the exhaust port. I will get some pictures of it today. The bottom of the piston has a good size cut in it and on further inspection the cylinder has a pretty good score in it. It could be ran like this but prefer to make it right while I have it apart. Have plenty other saws to cut with and don't want to rush this one. Who makes the best aftermarket cylinders? I will keep this cylinder and at some point send it and get it repaired because I think most of the aftermarket cylinders are not the quality as the factory cylinders. Your thoughts on this. I know finding a new cylinder would be hard.

Brian

You make a lot of sense. I have it this far I may as well make it all new and fresh. This thing has a screan mesh air filter in it. I have never been a fan of these and replacing this one. I think the cylinder being scorn was caused by this filter letting in to much dirt. Any thoughts on this?
Brian

It's been a while but IIRC:
Line by line comparison of the walbro 120/144 parts (IIRC) shows mainly that the 144 has the EPA/difficult to adjust needles, and the other is normal screwdriver adjust needles. The plastic adjust guides also differs.
I tried to buy the adjustable style...NLA. A dremel disc cutter made an adjust slot and all was well.
i have 2 of thesee origina cyl and pistons ,
Only one ring.

The plastic gear means its clutch driven oil pump. Bronze is crank driven and oils whenever saw is running. The back of the clutch drum needs to match the gear.

Great saw. They usually need some type of homemade shim gasket to set the squish to .020. They pick up compression easily with a small band cut.

Three carbs, 120/144/87. The 87 is the coveted and rare one. Totally unnecessary unless the saw has been ported. The smaller 120/144 with have slightly better throttle response than the bigger 87 if the saw is stock.
i have 2 of these , both with OEM cyl and pistons , 1991 with HDA 87 and a 1993 with HDA 120 , nice to run them now and again, matches with a 357/266 xp and even my 562 , but more vibes compared to a new saw ,it was the first Husky to have spring mounts

Got some pics of the piston. I think the cylinder is alright. I took some crocus cloth to the cylinder and it cleaned up pretty well but is going to need a piston and ring. The scuffing on the piston is strange. It is just to the side of the exhaust port and under the ring and also has a good size cut on the skirt of the piston if you look at the bottom center. Not sure how that got their nor the other score on the piston.

Brian
100_5608.JPG

Common spot for scoring, many models.

Must be a hot spot or something.

If you don't wanna split the case, stuff paper towels in the crank area at BDC. Parts wash entire outercase. Remove paper towels. Then fill case with mineral sprirts, rotate, rinse and repeat.

When it's all clean, add clean spirits and pull one seal at a time. It will push anything out of the bearings.

Then oil and reassemble.

I don't want anything foreign in a case, but sawdust with oil isn't the worst thing. Metal dust is another story.

Got some pics of the piston. I think the cylinder is alright. I took some crocus cloth to the cylinder and it cleaned up pretty well but is going to need a piston and ring. The scuffing on the piston is strange. It is just to the side of the exhaust port and under the ring and also has a good size cut on the skirt of the piston if you look at the bottom center. Not sure how that got their nor the other score on the piston.

Brian
View attachment 573766

Looks like carbon scoring to me. Do you have a pic of the cylinder? I agree with Al, a little sanding on that piston clean the cylinder and you're probably good to go with a new ring.
The saws are little runners, love them!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back