Husqvarna 262XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The big parts washer uses kerosene and has a filtration system so the fluid stays clean as the wash nozzle puts out only clean fluid, no dirt. Usually remove seals and flush bearings and case out. No need for paper towels as the fluid stays clean and kerosene will not harm anything. Everything gets flushed out in the end. If I use the ultrasonic, it uses barsaw and change it often enough that dirt is not a problem. Just don't want to put painted parts in the ultrasonic, they usually won't be painted when they come out. Mainly use it for heads, cylinders, valves, carbs and such. If I cleaned that piston up it would cause too much piston gap and would also unbalance the piston front to back and make it want to cock in the bore. It is more than just a minor touch up. Rather just use new piston and ring and be done with it. I worked on cleaning everything last night and all is now clean. Have new seals in route and should be here today. Bearings are good and tight. Cylinder runout is less than .006in. which is in spec. Crank and rod in good shape. New piston and ring and saw will be good to go.

Brian

Paragon, I think it is carbon also. The exhaust port was very carboned up and flaking off. But that big gash on the bottom of the piston worries me on how that got their. It had to be something got threw the intake port. Also if you will look the scorn area is mainly below the ring so a piece of carbon must have broken loose while the ring was above the port and got lodged between the piston and the cylinder wall is the only thing I could figure.

Brian

Paragon, I think it is carbon also. The exhaust port was very carboned up and flaking off. But that big gash on the bottom of the piston worries me on how that got their. It had to be something got threw the intake port. Also if you will look the scorn area is mainly below the ring so a piece of carbon must have broken loose while the ring was above the port and got lodged between the piston and the cylinder wall is the only thing I could figure.

Brian

Looks to me like it could have been there when it was installed. If there is no matching mark on the cylinder I bet it was always there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I got my piston in today and sense it was raining I decided to go ahead and put the 262 back together. Every thing went smooth, it seams like it has a bunch more compression. Starts and idles better.
So far what I done to it was:
Cleaned and kitted the carb
New piston and ring
New intake gaskets
New Collar Seal
New clutch bearing
A good general cleaning
New fuel line and filter
Cleaned and seated the DSP valve.
While reassembly I found that someone lost the rubber gasket that goes between the outlet of the oil pump and the chassis of the saw. I don't know but I could not find it. Seamed to not want to start at first when I noticed that the plug wire was sparking to the cylinder. I used some heat shrink to solve that problem. Then I flooded it and that took several tries to clean it100_5620.JPG out and then she come to life. I tweaked the carb in and she purrs like she should. Sounds really good. Cannot wait to sink her in some wood.

Brian

Well I got my piston in today and sense it was raining I decided to go ahead and put the 262 back together. Every thing went smooth, it seams like it has a bunch more compression. Starts and idles better.
So far what I done to it was:
Cleaned and kitted the carb
New piston and ring
New intake gaskets
New Collar Seal
New clutch bearing
A good general cleaning
New fuel line and filter
Cleaned and seated the DSP valve.
While reassembly I found that someone lost the rubber gasket that goes between the outlet of the oil pump and the chassis of the saw. I don't know but I could not find it. Seamed to not want to start at first when I noticed that the plug wire was sparking to the cylinder. I used some heat shrink to solve that problem. Then I flooded it and that took several tries to clean itView attachment 574659 out and then she come to life. I tweaked the carb in and she purrs like she should. Sounds really good. Cannot wait to sink her in some wood.

Brian

Awesome!
Make sure to get some videos...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That oil line takes a little piece of rubber, maybe 4mm long, that goes between the pump and the crankcase. Any dealer can order it. You can make one from fuel line just make sure its lumen is large enough. Make sure to put it on the pump when seating it.

I did make one out of some fuel line and so far it works. The dealer in this area will tell you they will order it and seams like it never comes in. I have a small shop and usually order parts from Jacks Small Engine online and the next order that I have for them I will order one just to make sure that I have the proper one in it, but for now I think this one will hold me over until then,

Thanks
Brian

You know that saying "be careful what you wish for"? Well now that I have found not 1, but 2 of these fine saws, I feel kinda empty inside. Like I have accomplished everything that has any meaning in my life, and now I am adrift!!

Cruel! Cruel fate!!

Latest posts

Back