Husqvarna 266xp throttle problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfw068

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I posted on the wrong forum. My Husky 266 sticks when moving the throttle. I can remove the linkage, and trigger moves freely, and carburetor tab moves freely. Hook the linkage back up, and starts sticking again. Driving me nuts. I have replaced the linkage rod, same thing. Any help appreciated.

Would be best if you could post some pics of the carb and linkage as without its just guessing. One area I have seen most sticking or binding in is the rear handle trigger hookup and or guides.

There are members on here that know that series of saw inside out but they all like to have pics to scrutinize for problems. I have only built and worked on a handful of the 266`s , can`t say I ever had a sticky throttle problem with them. Others most likely have encountered this malady.

Working on the pics, but it is strange, because the trigger assembly works smooth as silk without the throttle rod, and the carburetor works smooth as silk also. I am stumped. Seems like there is a catch in the hole that the throttle rod fits in, but I cannot see or feel it.

I'd remove or partially remove tank until you can get at the axel pin for the trigger and drive that out. Then check the trigger for wear on the pin and the pin itself for wear. I have had to replace the pins on a few saw due to being worn out.....the trigger will wear in the holes too and between the two areas of wear and this will allow the trigger to "cock" sideways enough to sometimes catch. The way the linkage is on those it offsets the load to one side causing wear. Not saying this is your trouble but it is a place to look.

If someone bent in the wrong direction the linkage they will do that.
Perhaps but those linkages are pretty stout and if bent very far won't line up enough to connect. Weird linkage but I've made them out of #10 copper wire and they worked fine until I got the proper one.....

Couple other things to check. Is the throttle shaft or bore worn on the carb? Check the throttle plate screws. If alittle loose the plate can shift and bind in the bore

Couple other things to check. Is the throttle shaft or bore worn on the carb? Check the throttle plate screws. If alittle loose the plate can shift and bind in the bore
Bingo. Pulled the carb, and the throttle shaft has a worn spot on it that is catching when the trigger is depressed. Now I just have to find a new throttle shaft. Thanks a bunch Albert, you were spot on. (still trying to upload photos, I am learning as I go) Thanks for all the replies.

True!! Good call.......I bought the 630 West Coast in my sig off ebay as a running saw.......It arrived looked great as advertised.....needed nothing. I fueled and oiled it up...started third pull....ran great. Took it to the wood pile and got into it...ran good for a few minutes then seemed to hang up and would not come down off idle...
Went back to the shop and pulled the carb......found the throttle plate screw was loose...very loose........If I had not stopped and found the problem I could have tried to "Rev the skip out of 'er" and she would have swallowed that screw....
I didn't blame the seller as how could you know?......But that is , also something to check fer sher.......and I would actually look there first...

Bingo. Pulled the carb, and the throttle shaft has a worn spot on it that is catching when the trigger is depressed. Now I just have to find a new throttle shaft. Thanks a bunch Albert, you were spot on. (still trying to upload photos, I am learning as I go) Thanks for all the replies.
Be easier to find a good used carb......that would be a 163A series or a 224...

Latest posts

Back