Husqvarna 266XP vs Stihl 038AV Super?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...exhaust side of the 266XP piston...

20190622_090055_jpg-989078.JPG

20190622_090111_jpg-989080.JPG

The 266 p&c looks ok a to me
I would change those crank seals though as a precaution
The exhaust and clutch look to both be off a 61

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll look into replacing the seals, doesn't seem like a bad idea.

I played around with the 266 a little today, definitely needs some adjustment. Its bogging down under a load/in the cut, so at the very least I need to go through the carburetor and clean it up. Any tips on where to start the L & H screws, at least a baseline before I start tuning? Also, what should the idle and WOT RPM be set to?

038 mag is close in power but not in chain speed.

038 super is a strong saw but it will weigh more then a 372xp so thats where it looses points. My 038 was heavier then my 576xp. They are close in weight to a 288xp or something of that size.

Still a nice saw though.

And that is why we all used the Huskies.
Most of the cutting in almond orchards is branches under 8-10" in diameter...4 of them off the short trunk. Trunk/stump are usually under 18" diameter. Once the branches are on the ground it is easier stand up straight and "tip" them into rounds...not much bending over. Wears out tips but they replace easily. You also learn quickly how to feel exactly where that tip is to keep it out of the dirt :p.

When you get paid by the cord and not the hour, chain speed is king.

We only took out one orchard of 75yr old trees with 30" stumps. Most trees stop producing enough nuts/acre after 35-50 yrs to be cost effective. So, farmer will remove them, plant new trees and repeat the cycle.
Walnuts produce for much longer and rarely get removed... usually due to disease.

Many of the guys switched to 044s when they came out and a couple of us went to the 066 mag red eye for the pure speed in small wood.

Ah, the old days :p

You can make a heat shield out of almost anything.

I didn’t like the one on my Echo 590, just because, so I made one out of a piece of copper pipe. I just cut a piece of pipe to length, split it, flattened it out nicely, rounded some corners a bit and drilled a couple of holes. Voila, nice piece in about 20 minutes total. I figure it will dissipate heat better than the stock one and it doesn’t leak (seep) like the stock one did.

You could use almost any piece of thin metal for a shield.

The carb settings for the 266 are 1 turn out on the H and L to start with
Pretty much all the saws I have tuned of this era are correctly tuned at 1 turn on the L and 3/4 on the H
L speed is 2500 rpm and H 12500 rpm under no load
If it is hard to dial in the tune then it needs a carb rebuild

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

038 mag is close in power but not in chain speed.

038 super is a strong saw but it will weigh more then a 372xp so thats where it looses points. My 038 was heavier then my 576xp. They are close in weight to a 288xp or something of that size.

Still a nice saw though.

Mostly true as far as I know, except that the power output of the 038 mag used to be .3 kW lower than for the 372xp (3.6 vs. 3.9) - and the weight of the 038 isn't that close to the 288.

However, the latest version of the 038 mag was the MS 382 (made in Brazil) the last time I looked, with both power output and weight about as for the 372 (specs, that is). It is unlikely that you will find one of those (382) in North America though.

I got my 1st 038M from a logger friend, free DOA.

It was very well used, most dirty saw, but P/C looked like new.

A clean up, made it run great, then a new ES bar and RS chain w/new rim. Recoil and carb were full of dust, besides the rest......

That was 20 years ago. A few chains/rims, and filters it runs great. P/C sill looks great.

Yes a heavy saw, but as reliable as the sun coming up.

P.S.all rubber parts OEM, I never replaced anything, but
I never ran E10.

I'm going to te and get it tuned tomorrow, once the rain leaves. In the meantime, any tricks or suggestions for pulling the piston on the 038? I know I need to remove the carb, intake boot, and exhaust...any other tips?

Getting ready to pull the cylinder head on the Stihl, any tips?

Mostly true as far as I know, except that the power output of the 038 mag used to be .3 kW lower than for the 372xp (3.6 vs. 3.9) - and the weight of the 038 isn't that close to the 288.

However, the latest version of the 038 mag was the MS 382 (made in Brazil) the last time I looked, with both power output and weight about as for the 372 (specs, that is). It is unlikely that you will find one of those (382) in North America though.
Believe it or not Amazon India has the 382 for 39,300 Rupees ($479.00)

Latest posts

Back