Husqvarna 272xp Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OREGONLOGGER

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A good friend is giving me a 272xp and has been setting for many years..like 6 or so not sure what year it is but has a 32" bar on it that came with the saw. Question is: Can carb kits, cylinders/rings/ignition still be bought for this saw and any mod tips to get it to breath better at 4300ft as the saw now is at sea level carb settings. Many thanks to the saw experts here great site indeed:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Every part for the 272xp is available from your local dealer. As for the elevation change you will require some carb adjustments, forget about porting and muffler mods et al...run it like it was designed to be run, as so many have been run for years. One day you'll have some spare time and start playing with modding a lil project..........don't make your first one the 272.

I don't know what kind of wood You will be cutting, but i do belive You will be MUCH better off running a 20-24" bar with that saw.
I have a couple of 2100's and run 30" on them.

The 272 is a very ggod saw,mine started out as a 268 and is know wearing a OEM 272 P&C and carb. Isit the '"high top" with larger air filter or is it a more standard cover.

LOTs of parts availabe,Good luck with it .

As far as tuning it and setting carb I think a tach is the best way to go. Do a search and lots of good info ther, some with audio.
Madsen's also has some on their website

Every part for the 272xp is available from your local dealer. As for the elevation change you will require some carb adjustments, forget about porting and muffler mods et al...run it like it was designed to be run, as so many have been run for years. One day you'll have some spare time and start playing with modding a lil project..........don't make your first one the 272.

Thanks we'll keep her stock and let it run the way it was made. I'll make the carb adjustments also. I agree keeping saws stock means less dead saws laying around. Nice to know the parts are still available for this saw. Thanks for your time and happy holidays!

I don't know what kind of wood You will be cutting, but i do belive You will be MUCH better off running a 20-24" bar with that saw.
I have a couple of 2100's and run 30" on them. (snip)

He's from oregon so a 32" should be just about right to trim the rhodies with lol.

Tune it up and cut!

I have a couple of 2100's and run 30" on them.

The 272 is a very ggod saw,mine started out as a 268 and is know wearing a OEM 272 P&C and carb. Isit the '"high top" with larger air filter or is it a more standard cover.

LOTs of parts availabe,Good luck with it .

As far as tuning it and setting carb I think a tach is the best way to go. Do a search and lots of good info ther, some with audio.
Madsen's also has some on their website
To old to log with the kids buck'n big Ponderosa in the Cascades of Oregon in late fall mostly log wood for the wood stove and have a couple of saw projects over the winter. Same town where they filmed Axe Men on History Channel...Great to hear lots of parts for this saw. Thanks Kennygee

The only problem I ever had with my 272 was the oiler did not like to keep up with a 32" Husqvarna bar. I believe my issue was due to the oiler needing work because I later had to replace the plastic worm gear. We took down a rock hard maple that took ever inch of the 32" bar and it never let up. I moved the 32" to my 2100 and bought a 20" bar for the 272.

I run a 20" with an 8 pin on my ported 272's. I leave the 32" bars to the 288's.

A little porting and a muffler mod will go a long way on the 272, but you should test your porting skills on something else less valuable first.

Back