Husqvarna 272xp vs 372xp tell me everything!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you I've been going around about the 272 and a 2171 after reading your post I'm leaning more towards the 2171 mainly due to parts again thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Especially the 2171, money even within $150 bucks I would gravitate towards the Jonsered 2171..even $200 bucks! I like that variant partly because of the lower profile and partly because I happen to like those red saws...no real logical reason, just do. While there are advantages to the High Top 372 filter arrangement, especially in some of the dusty or sandy environments, I have converted most of mine to the lower 365 style....what ever sacrifice I might have in power & theoretical filtration is acceptable. I like the smaller feel..which is perception more than actual reality. Rather that try and rationalize why, it boils down to I like the Jonsereds and 365/375 with the low top configuration. Most will prefer the high top on the 372's and that will actually help with resale on the 372's having the taller filter.

I'll say it and not to just to be a trouble maker. If you want low vibe and smooth. Go with a dolmar 7300-7910.
It's hands down smoother and more power. I have been running my 272, 372oe, 372xtorq And my 7910 alot lately. And the 372 is great, but the 7910 is smoother, more power and clears noodles better.
I have a Walker's saw shop 372xpg and it is the closest in power to the 7910. Followed by the xtorq 372 then the original 372. I can't include my 272 as I have been running a much shorter bar on it.
I am adding the wide discharge side covers and large dogs to the 372's to help with the clearing of noodles.

Just my personal experiences with them all.

Steven
How short is to short for a 272 or actually 266. I want to go with a 16 for everyday and 20 for bigger stuff. Would kinda like to try a racing sprocket and 14 inch for old dry mesquite burl and 28 for very infrequent slab type cutting to get table top surface. Currently cant afford anything else but what I already got and have no space plus might never wake that night. Family would flip if I bought another with one for each month of the year already and a backup or two on top.

372xp in super fantastic condition on my local craigslist, except that they are asking 750 for it

I've seen the same one, Edwardsville area?

Looks like a real nice saw, has the full wrap handle too. 750 seems a bit steep to me though.

Don't forget about a more uncommon variant model that is known as a 371xp.

They can go for cheaper than a 372, and the only differences they have are: a slightly thinner case that may or may not crack if more than a 28" bar is used and leaned on really hard.. and they originally came with the chain tensioner on the case instead of the side cover like a 372. You can use a 372 clutch cover with side tensioner on them.

They are good running and virtually identical to the 372 pre-strato ( xtorq) and typically only $300-$450 range.

I sold a super nice one somewhat recently...

As for the 272 series, probably more of that family of saws still running than any other common saws.... I have two projects here that are going to be 272's.

A Jonsereds 630 and a Husky 266SE

My two cents...

I own multiples of both. Good saws, the 372s are better in every respect for me. The 2!!s hold the shelf down and bulk up the saw collection, they are however pretty much the saws that put Husqvarna on the map around here.

If I want to use a 60-75cc Husqvarna it will be a 365/372. Run 16" to 24" bars and beat on them and they just keep going. Having said that almost all of the ones I have came to me with a bad crank, bad crank bearings or both, so buyer beware. Replace the parts and run 32:1, no issues so far.

Really prefer the double pole chain brake on the 3 series as well as the inboard clutch. Prefer the clutch cover setup as well, way smoother than any of the 2 series saws I have. Extremely easy saws to work on and both OEM and AM parts are everywhere for the orange ones at least. Perhaps a bit harder to locally source the Jonsered plastics. The 365s are solid performers and can be a good bit cheaper used. Honestly believe with a 20" bar and matching covers the typical operator would not know the difference.

Do not have any Xtorqs so, no comment. No longer own any of those aforementioned Dolmars, nice saws though.

The one thing that the 2!! series has that no mod will fix for a 3!! Series is a true ly better exhaust sound. Quad ports may be better for every other application but they sound like a 4 cylinder, when people modify them they sound like a 4 cylinder with a fart can.

I have had at least 4 of the 272 and 6 of the 372's when we were cutting. Ran whatever oil was the cheapest at 50 to 1 with only 1 major issue and that was because of a bad intake boot. Would rotate 2 saws out each day with 4 tanks of fuel through each saw. Would buy a new saw yearly and replace the oldest saw. Always had somebody waiting for the saw, so selling was not a issue. The saws were "loose" but still ran good and a few of them are still running. Husky had a batch of bad crank bearings a couple of years ago with the 372/365 is the only major issue that I know of. I have a friend wanting my 562, and if he buys it I will replace it with another 372 before they get stupid and stop making it. CJ

Back