Husqvarna 281xp pics and questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnT34

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just bought this 281xp and I am wondering what is not original on it. According to the tag it is an 87
Is the black handle supposed to be on this saw
The chain brake cover is aftermarket, can these be got still in oem as a complete unitIMG_0750.JPG IMG_0751.JPG IMG_0669.JPG IMG_0669.JPG IMG_0750.JPG IMG_0751.JPG IMG_0752.JPG
Also the fuel and oil caps are wrong but what should they be and are they available
Thanks for the help
JohnIMG_0669.JPG

^1 Old part number for brake was 501808004, new number is 503746702 and has plastic flag. Black caps had divider in turning tab, dividing it in two. Top handle looks ok. Looks like low use saw, repainted? How is piston and cylinder condition?

That cover is expensive new, dealer cost is around 80.00, I have bought 6 or 8 so far, if I had yours I would buy a new cover and dye the grey plastic part black, just to get it to match, same goes for the caps. The early saws had the black components and the newer models went to grey, your saw would have came w the metal brake for certain. Nice saw!

Great info there thanks to all who replied
The saw is not repainted
I need to get the piston and cylinder off to check the condition just hoping it isn’t aftermarket will keep you posted. Should it be a mahle cylinder?
The recoil handle is grey as well should this be black?
Also I think I am missing some sort of antivibe setup connected to the front spike or was this on every saw?
Cheers John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back