• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Husqvarna 288 parts wanted

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redneckbuck21

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Been lookin for some parts for a 288 build. The saw was born in 1992. It isn't a wall hanger.

It will be used primarily to rip/mill rough cut boards for projects assuming I can get it operating properly.

OEM/NOS preferred. Plenty of the Chinese crap on eBay....

1 - complete chain brake assembly

2 - complete starter assembly (if I can't get this one to operate)

3 - complete heavy duty air filter upgrade (not sure about the other parts needed to complete the transformation)

4 - top cover

5 - full wrap handle

6 - 32 inch bar
7 - 32 inch chain - 3/8" pitch, 0.050 gauge, full chisel

8 - also a ripping/milling chain to accompany an Alaskan mill

9 - oh and an Alaskan mill

Obviously the first four are the more important items as if the saw wont work then the rest of the items aren't necessary.

Let me know what you got. Appreciate any/all help out there.

Look at HLSupply.com. They've got the brake and recoil. Not sure of their origins but when I do my 288 build I was going to try the brake setup from them.

OEm brake setup last one I recall on ebay was like $100 plus I think or cheap chicom copy $45 or so .. not a hard choice. You would have to be a little more specific on the air filter arrangement.. Hi top ?? with a stock filter or a hi top with a uni or K&N style??, if its the with stylw with the hi top other then sotck its just an elbow change and find the filter that's works/fits best.

Adam, where would one find the elbow? Is this a stock part?

Pantano Supply on eBay has the high top along with the HD air filter and elbow for sale as a 'package'. Those parts are all still available from Husqvarna too, or at least were last time I checked a few months ago.

Pantano DOES NOT have these parts for sale. They sent me a low top that was molded in Brazil and had screws in the wrong places claiming that I got what I ordered. I will buy nothing from them anymore... There are online parts vendors that have the elbow. Filter and high top are still available on feepay. Husqvarna has NLA on the sets. I had been waiting 6 weeks for a supplier to locate the kit/package.
I am running one of the repro clutch covers. It functions correctly and fits OK.

I think I saw someone use the elbow and air filter from a 394 or 395 before. If that worked you would only need to locate the high top.

Pantano DOES NOT have these parts for sale. They sent me a low top that was molded in Brazil and had screws in the wrong places claiming that I got what I ordered. I will buy nothing from them anymore... There are online parts vendors that have the elbow. Filter and high top are still available on feepay. Husqvarna has NLA on the sets. I had been waiting 6 weeks for a supplier to locate the kit/package.
I am running one of the repro clutch covers. It functions correctly and fits OK.

Wow. That's unfortunate. I've ordered parts from them before without issue. Hadn't ordered the high top cover from them though...

I think I saw someone use the elbow and air filter from a 394 or 395 before. If that worked you would only need to locate the high top.

The 394 elbow is significantly taller and has a 'tilt' to it. Can't imagine that one working under an unmodified high top 288XP cover.

503617603 is the part # for the whole 288 HD cover/elbow/filter/etc set. 503595401 is the part # for the elbow by itself. Looks like they're backordered through ordertree, although not listed as NLA. Just recently (over the last few months) HVA has been obsoleting MANY Husqvarna and Poulan parts that up until then were still available. It's grim. Used elbows show up on ebay from time to time. Nothing there today however. Glad I got mine, and have one for the next saw in this series that I'm going to rebuild....

Thanks for all your help. I'll just run the regular filter setup until I locate the upgraded HD air filter set on ebay or elsewhere. I would rather use used Husqvarna parts before buying the cheap Chinese crap, but if that's all that is available then I'll probably have to take my chances with that. Thanks again

Ive found a few elbows on the bay' I believe the hi top is a no ah ah part now, I tired to order a new hi top threw partstree and got the low top I offered in the Christmas thread. It seems that the 288 is fading away. stuff seems to be getting harder to get or maybe I am not paid up with the right people?? Although there is a fair amount of AM stuff out there Everything on the bay' is going up quickly at the same time that everything else s disappearing. Used cylinders that were $50ish are now $80-100 for OEM, Tanks are $75+, coil sets are getting harder to find. Or maybe its the time of year everything gets bought up and rebuilt, IDK maybe I'm new to playing with saws so I just don't know.

Bump and updated my list of items that I'm still looking for.....

OEM/NOS preferred. Plenty of the Chinese crap on eBay....
1 - complete chain brake assembly
4 - top cover
6 - 32 inch bar
7 - 32 inch chain - 3/8" pitch, 0.050 gauge, full chisel
8 - also a ripping/milling chain to accompany an Alaskan mill
9 - oh and an Alaskan mill

So, you got the heavy duty air filter? If so this means that you are looking for the high top cover.

So, you got the heavy duty air filter? If so this means that you are looking for the high top cover.

nah. I scratched the idea of the HD air filter for now. Just using the regular type air filter.

Put the saw together with the parts that I have and realized it is missing two shock absorbers and some throttle parts.

Decided to take the top cover out of the list and use the beat up top cover that it came with. Already over the cash limit that I set for myself for this project, but that usually happens on all my projects so nothing really new there.

This is starting to become an addiction. . . . I finished up a Stihl 038 Mag yesterday. Started it up and it jumped outta my hands and cut the old oak tree all by itself!

Husky 288 parts needed:

USED parts/OEM/NOS preferred. Too much of the Chinese crap on eBay....

- complete chain brake assembly OR just the clutch cover
- two shock absorbers (p/n 503514801) - listed on IPL as hard jungle type
- 32 inch bar
- 32 inch chain - 3/8" pitch, 0.050 gauge, full chisel
- also a ripping/milling chain to accompany an Alaskan mill
- Alaskan mill

- throttle catch (p/n 501817502)
- spring pin (p/n 721421226)
- spring (p/n 501567901)
- spring (p/n 50152881)

What about baileys? I think they had the high top cover on there

The throttle catch and spring is available new at a dealer I just ordered one it was only around 10 dollars

I am pretty sure the hi top is nla I tried ordering a hi top cover, they sent me a new low top and said this is the cross reference number, just an fyi if u do try to order a hi top confirm it before ordering n stuff

Back