• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Sell 038 Mag - Complete Rebuild with NOS/OEM Parts, Powder coated, Full Wrap, Triple Port Muffler, etc.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Fresh rebuild. NOS tank, NOS piston, NOS starter assembly, powder coated cases, NOS top cover (badge has a scratch), NOS crank seals, NOS oil pump, NOS bearings, NOS full wrap, aftermarket dual port muffler that's had a third port added, base gasket delete, new rim drive 3/8" 7 pin, aftermarket felling spikes. Saw is immaculate, and has been tuned - idles at factory specs and four strokes at WOT, but will clean up in cut. Have not had it in wood since built.

Comes with: case/handle skid plate but not installed, original half wrap, original top cover, original fuel tank (still good).

Powerhead only. No bar/chain.

I think I have about $1500 invested between cost of saw and parts.

Was going to keep it as a user, but decided to keep a fugly 044 instead. Not going to lose sleep if 044 gets scuffed, beat up, etc.

Would consider trades or partial trades for 1106/1109 series Stihl saws - Contra/Lightning, 070, 090, 090G.

$1,400 + shipping from northern Virginia - 22203.

Attachments

• IMG_7176.jpg
    IMG_7176.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 130
  • IMG_7186.jpg
    IMG_7186.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_7172.jpg
    IMG_7172.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG_7174.jpg
    IMG_7174.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG_7177.jpg
    IMG_7177.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 119
  • IMG_7179.jpg
    IMG_7179.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 124
Fresh rebuild. NOS tank, NOS piston, NOS starter assembly, powder coated cases, NOS top cover (badge has a scratch), NOS crank seals, NOS oil pump, NOS bearings, NOS full wrap, aftermarket dual port muffler that's had a third port added, base gasket delete, new rim drive 3/8" 7 pin, aftermarket felling spikes. Saw is immaculate, and has been tuned - idles at factory specs and four strokes at WOT, but will clean up in cut. Have not had it in wood since built.

Comes with: case/handle skid plate but not installed, original half wrap, original top cover, original fuel tank (still good).

Powerhead only. No bar/chain.

I think I have about $1500 invested between cost of saw and parts.

Was going to keep it as a user, but decided to keep a fugly 044 instead. Not going to lose sleep if 044 gets scuffed, beat up, etc.

Would consider trades or partial trades for 1106/1109 series Stihl saws - Contra/Lightning, 070, 090, 090G.

$1,400 + shipping from northern Virginia - 22203.
She's a beautiful saw! Wish I could find a full wrap handle for mine. Wouldn't have to be as pretty. Definitely a collectors dream version of the 038.

Are these really worth this much? I can get like 10 of these for next to nothing. I mean clearly not brand new like this one but **** they can be

I'll buy all 10 of them for "next to nothing" plus shipping if they're 038 Magnums! As for value, good question. I just know what I have invested in it and what it would cost to replicate it. If it doesn't bring $1,400 (or something reasonably close to it), I'm fine with it sitting on the shelf.
Thanks

She's a beautiful saw! Wish I could find a full wrap handle for mine. Wouldn't have to be as pretty. Definitely a collectors dream version of the 038.
Thanks, MS. It took me a while to find an NOS full wrap. Fuel tank was another one that took quite some time to find, and a fair amount of $, too.

Hey man! I am also from NOVA. I was really shocked when I saw your ad stated you were in Virginia. I’m in Gainesville 20155 zip code. I just registered in order to post in this thread and touch base with you. Sorry for posting in your sale ad about being local. Good luck with the sale or trade of your saw!

Hey man! I am also from NOVA. I was really shocked when I saw your ad stated you were in Virginia. I’m in Gainesville 20155 zip code. I just registered in order to post in this thread and touch base with you. Sorry for posting in your sale ad about being local. Good luck with the sale or trade of your saw!
Howdy. I'm either in Annandale or Lake of the Woods (15 miles west of F'burg) depending on the day. Active duty military just here for a few years.

YEAH OK...
eBay is your friend.

I prefer a brand new 500i for less coin.

Apples to oranges comparison. If you're looking for something to use and that's it, you can save a lot of $ and buy a saw that's just as capable.

This saw will go to someone who appreciates a vintage (30+ years old) machine that's been rebuilt with great care and attention to detail. Might be a shelf queen, or might get occasional use.

Eb
Apples to oranges comparison. If you're looking for something to use and that's it, you can save a lot of $ and buy a saw that's just as capable.

This saw will go to someone who appreciates a vintage (30+ years old) machine that's been rebuilt with great care and attention to detail. Might be a shelf queen, or might get occasional use.
eBay, with all the MILLIONS of interested collectors worldwide.
Crickets here for the coin.

That's where the $$$ is at for collectors.

You're right on this. I always list my saws here (and the "other" forum) before they go to eBay, and I very rarely sell anything here. That's on the run of the mill stuff.

My "special" saws - Comet diesels, Jonsereds diesels, minty Jonsereds XF's, gear drive Stihl 041, Contra GS, 090G, Dolmar KMS-4 rotary, etc, usually change hands without ever being listed.

EDIT: I do have this saw listed on Facebook Marketplace as well. Someone local said he wants it and will pick it up this weekend (he's ok with the price, too) but we'll have to wait and see if that pans out or not.

You're right on this. I always list my saws here (and the "other" forum) before they go to eBay, and I very rarely sell anything here. That's on the run of the mill stuff.

My "special" saws - Comet diesels, Jonsereds diesels, minty Jonsereds XF's, gear drive Stihl 041, Contra GS, 090G, Dolmar KMS-4 rotary, etc, usually change hands without ever being listed.
NICE!

Back