• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold 038 Mag 2 - Fresh Rebuild, Very Nice One-Owner Saw, Trades Possible

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a very nice 038 Magnum II that I bought a few weeks ago from the original owner. It was running when I got it, but desperately needed a bath and some TLC.

I replaced the fuel line and impulse line, installed new Caber rings, took .020" off the crank key to advance the ignition timing a bit, enlarged the holes in the muffler baffle and added a port so it's now a triple port, rebuilt the carburetor, installed a few small NOS bits (air filter cover knob and a few other items), added aftermarket felling dogs, NOS Stihl roller chain catcher, aftermarket 3/4 wrap (made for an 044, but just needs a slight bend to work), and aftermarket tank guard. Everything was disassembled, cleaned, and lubed as needed. I did not split the case.

Piston and jug are original and in beautiful condition. Machining marks still present on piston.

It's tuned to factory specs -- four strokes at WOT (about 12,500 rpm; it'll do more if you lean it out some), idles at 2,300, etc.

I spent waaaayyyy too much time cleaning this saw; it's immaculate. Attacked it with dental picks, toothbrush, q-tip, etc.

Has a 3/8 rim drive sprocket.

$600 obo + shipping. Power head only (no bar/chain). Offering here before it hits the auction block.

Trades considered for 066, 076/076, or 084/088. Project saws are fine. Not interested in trading unless you're an established member here.

IMG_8109.jpgIMG_8108.jpgIMG_8107.jpgIMG_8106.jpgIMG_8115.jpgIMG_8114.jpgIMG_8110.jpgIMG_8111.jpg

you should keep one , i like them , they are a bit on the heavy side, have a little slower chain speed ...... but, mass torque pulling a longer bar ....owned a couple myself ... course i am sure you know....

I love the older saws, but I'm paring down the collection and just keeping saws that I'll use. The 044 10mm/slant fin will cover the 70cc class. Just a little lighter, maybe just slightly more powerful, better air filter.

I love the older saws, but I'm paring down the collection and just keeping saws that I'll use. The 044 10mm/slant fin will cover the 70cc class. Just a little lighter, maybe just slightly more powerful, better air filter.
i agree the 044 is one of my favorites in the 70cc class , still the 038 mag runs very well ....

I'm running a 20" bar on my 036 Pro so I typically run 24" bars on my 70cc saws. Having said that, I'll bet the one with the 20" bar and 8 pin rim really rips!
It cuts quite well. Also have oem Stihl triple port mufflers on both saws. Didn’t come that way I put them on. They don’t get a ton of use I wanna keep them in good condition. The 038 mag was my first big boy saw.

Latest posts

Back