husqvarna 288xp question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have fun. 288s rock! I'd like another or 3.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nTZxOLopQCU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8XGVxu3q5P4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

i'm still learning about these saws. i didn't know a high top was available on a lite.
FWIW, the squish on both of mine was ~.030. i think will keep the lite and it will probably have that number lowered a little. i just posted the weights in a 281 thread. the lite was 16lb 7oz and the regular was 16lb 11oz.

that is my saw. i added the high top and heavy duty air filter to it. don't think the 288 lites came with it.

Well she started going back together tonight...

The original crank & rod had more play in the big end than what I care for, so in with a good crank that I had here...
DSC00577.jpg

DSC00578.jpg

Case back together, piston installed...
DSC00583.jpg

DSC00585.jpg

Flywheel and pick-up installed, getting ready to check the squish...
DSC00591.jpg

Houston, we have a problem! The coil wire is cut to the core, I can either put a piece of shrink tubing over it or replace the coil. I will have to check with the proper authorities first...
DSC00588.jpg

i would shrink tube it. you don't have anything to lose. do those leads screw into the coil? or are they a one-piece unit? i have a saw that had a lead that looked similar. i cut it apart and soldered it back together. a piece of shrink tube and it has never given me a seconds trouble.

It looks good mike. Any sealant between the case halves, or just the ''dry'' gasket?
Dry, just like the factory did it.

i would shrink tube it. you don't have anything to lose. do those leads screw into the coil? or are they a one-piece unit? i have a saw that had a lead that looked similar. i cut it apart and soldered it back together. a piece of shrink tube and it has never given me a seconds trouble.
This is what I am thinking too, if it becomes an issue later, it's an easy fix for the owner. It is a one piece design. To replace the wire, you replace the coil.

Ended up using a different coil after all, I'll try to fix the wire later.

Checked squish, did some port work and made a gasket.
DSC00604.jpg

An old .22lr shell works great for punching out the bolt holes...
DSC00608.jpg

DSC00609.jpg

Just a cote of Copper-Kote on the gasket before assembly...
DSC00611.jpg

Cylinder back on...
DSC00612.jpg

Carb cleaned and intake port matched...
DSC00613.jpg

DSC00614.jpg

Starting to look like a saw again...
DSC00616.jpg

The throttle lever is badly worn ,along with the fuel tank, and it is not allowing it to hit full throttle. For now just going to do the rubber fuel line trick around the throttle arm.

Last edited:
Did I mention that it runs??

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4QKv_2-1mhc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
what you set idle and top rpm to?

I have no idea, just an initial tune by ear. The saw appears to have some kind of EPA carb on it, pain in the ass to get the screw driver on the screws and adjust it while it is running.

Another fine saw you've put together Mike. What's your favorite so far?

Thanks Brad! Hard to say which one is my favorite, most likley the 288 w/066 pop-up in it. Sure did have a TON of time in that saw!!! I love running the 372 though, just makes me smile.:msp_tongue:

Here is a short video of it in my "punky balsa" Sycamore, bar is a 20"...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C7AFHwo1P4I?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back to it's home in S. Carolina tomorrow. I hope you enjoy the saw Ricky!!!

Back