Husqvarna 288xp RING'S???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briguy26

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Picked up this 288xp the other day, started on 2-3 pulls idles great throttles to full power no problem. I took top cover off and noticed an aftermarket cylinder on their so I wanted to check it out before selling. I pulled the muffler and it looks like previous owner put in (2) thin rings instead of one thick ring like it's supposed to have. Is this something any of you experts have seen?? Any info would be much appreciated.20170621_195338.jpg 20170622_090151_001.jpg

Hard to tell if thats two rings or just one ring with a groove in it, which i have seen. Cant that working very long if it is two rings. Nothing to locate the ring not in contact woth the locating pin it would seem...

Hard to tell if thats two rings or just one ring with a groove in it, which i have seen. Cant that working very long if it is two rings. Nothing to locate the ring not in contact woth the locating pin it would seem...
It looked like two I put a narrow head screw driver in there and pushed down on the ring and only one moved.

I would poke at it with a pick, see if you can see them move seperately to be sure.
I poked at it again looks to move the whole ring, looks like a grooved ring. Now my question is... Why do they have grooved rings? This is the first I've come across I've bought and sold (3) 288xp's all of them had one thick ring.

Latest posts

Back