• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Husqvarna 288xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tolman_paul

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I bought this saw as a spare to my 181 and with thoughts of powering an Alaskan lumber mill. When I got the saw it was rough, I replaced the a/v mounts that were torn and missing, rebuilt the carb, put in a new ring, did a muff mod, new drive sprocket and replaced other missing odds and ends. Even with the new ring the compression is still low and I'm having trouble getting it to restart once it warms up. The land we ended up getting is covered with alders, so no need for the AK mill or a second large saw and I just don't have time to work on it. The cylinder doesn't appear to be scored so I'm at a loss for the low compression. The bottom end is solid and the piston is in good shape. 20" bar and chain.

$250 shipped USPS insured. Cashiers check or paypal and if you use a cc on paypal it'll be $260.

1798325_10203114211197386_1996377697_n.jpg

1660523_10203114211357390_616196941_n.jpg

1621962_10203114211157385_466994990_n.jpg

What is the compression with hot or cold engine? How much did you run it since new ring?

I don't have a compression testor. I've barely run it since replacing the ring, I think a noodled a couple of logs and that was it, not even a 1/2 a tank of fuels been run through it.

How did the cylinder look when you look it apart? Did you touch it with a hone? How come you think it has low compression still, just because its starting hard?

The cylinder looked fine when I took it apart, no I didn't hone it. I think the compression is low based on how it turns over compared to my 181.

Hard start could be out of tune carb..? I wouldnt jump to a conclusion about compression unless you checked it. More than likely it could have benefited from a new piston as well and a hone. In theory compression will improve with break-in if you have a good cross hatch on the walls for the new ring to seat. If it has lots of hours and lost that cross hatch then the new ring might not seat very well and will likely never reach its full potential. Did you check the endgap on the new ring? Too much and it will lose compression too...

Hard start could be out of tune carb..? I wouldnt jump to a conclusion about compression unless you checked it. More than likely it could have benefited from a new piston as well and a hone. In theory compression will improve with break-in if you have a good cross hatch on the walls for the new ring to seat. If it has lots of hours and lost that cross hatch then the new ring might not seat very well and will likely never reach its full potential. Did you check the endgap on the new ring? Too much and it will lose compression too...
I'm not sure he feels like working on it further. Are you seeing a benefit from honing on the ones you are rebuilding? I honed a few, probably based on past experience with different types of engines, but have since quit honing, and have noticed no difference

I'm not sure he feels like working on it further. Are you seeing a benefit from honing on the ones you are rebuilding? I honed a few, probably based on past experience with different types of engines, but have since quit honing, and have noticed no difference

Only if the cylinder is polished to the point where the cross hatch is gone and looks like a mirror... 500 grit and a light pass. Wasnt trying to convince him he should do more work on it, just was trying to get an understanding of its condition... Had a flicker of CAD then I realized he's up in AK and it wouldnt make much sense shipping the saw across the country. Maybe if is was a little easier on the eyes...

Latest posts

Back