Husqvarna 298XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Husky 298xp brake band

Hello,

Sorry to have come back to this thread after so long. This is my first posting. I used a chainsaw for the first time when I was 13 - how times have changed!

I have a Husky 298xp which runs perfectly - often large felling saws only get brought out once in a while and the smaller saws do all the real work. It starts easily with a drop start. You just have to go for it - any hesitation and you won't turn it over - something to do with its undersized starter set up I think.

Anyway, the reason I am posting is because I need a new chain brake band, but am told the saw is now obsolete. Will a band from another non obsolete Husky fit? Otherwise I am going to be forced to weld it back together doubtless destroying the temper in the steel. Any thoughts gratefully received.

Anyway, the reason I am posting is because I need a new chain brake band, but am told the saw is now obsolete. Will a band from another non obsolete Husky fit? Otherwise I am going to be forced to weld it back together doubtless destroying the temper in the steel. Any thoughts gratefully received.

I would start looking at E-bay if I needed something like that.

That's funny that this thread came back up......I just aquired a 298 the other day, and I'm telling ya....You've got to have a very firm grip on the handle when you're pulling this thing over!!! Anyone put a 2100 flywheel and recoil on one of these????

That's funny that this thread came back up......I just aquired a 298 the other day, and I'm telling ya....You've got to have a very firm grip on the handle when you're pulling this thing over!!! Anyone put a 2100 flywheel and recoil on one of these????

I believe that was commonly done on warranty when the small starters failed, and they often did. Some of the weight savings that was the point of the 298xp went down the drain in the process, and the model soon was discontinued.

At least that is the story as I know it!

i would really like to have one. the seller of this one got some good coin for it. he was on here a couple of weeks ago trying to peddle it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260675253252&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

That was a very clean saw.....He definitely got good coin out of it, as you said!

That kinda makes me itchy to try to make mine run and push some other projects aside.....They pretty much appear to be what you could call a "2100 Lite" (as in 288xp and the "lite" version).

Picked one up a couple of weeks ago - thought it was seized but then it pulled over - man that thing has some compression - I have to use some thick cloth wrapped round the pull and use a thick glove to pul it over - the main handle has cracked over time through the previous owner trying to start it - my only thought is why Husqvarna didnt put a bigger pulley or a decomp on it!!

I have had it running - needs a good clean!

Spud

My 285 is hard to pull after it sits for a wile. I have found that a squirt of mix in the carb fixes the problem. Then it drop starts easily.

I think you are correct Roland, there is a 298 on German ebay at the moment and and I would say the looks just like a 1100,2100 and 2101 without the manual oiler.

As others have stated. A 298 was really kinda a newer 1100. No manual oiler, but a crappy starter. Most guys or dealers would put a 2100 starter on them.

I had a 298xp...it was a monster to pull over! Fitted the pull start with a piece of broom handle. It sounded like a 250 dirt bike. It would pull a 42in bar no problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back