Husqvarna 3120xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoodster3

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone I’m new to the forum. And I would like to know everyone’s opinion on the 3120xp, I found a 1997 3120xp that I want to pickup and was wondering what would be reasonable for the saw?
The saw is in good condition and I can’t see anything wrong with it seems to be well cared for and It comes with a 44in bar and a 36in bar do you think $900 is a good price to settle on for that type of saw? I’ve never seen a used one for sale around where I live so I don’t know a good price range for a good used one, and it’s a long drive all imput will be greatly appreciated!

The 3120 is like 2 cinderblocks with a handle. It is pig heavy to handle and just drinks fuel. They are also rev limited very low. As I remember I think they are 9 or 10k max depending on the year and have a fixed carb. They are designed to pull long bars and unless you are into milling or do a lot of big money cuts, they are not really a practical homeowner saw. I have passed on several over they years priced below $500 as I already have one I don’t use often. I haven’t even started mine in half a decade. If it were me, I would put the $900 toward a 395 or 372 or a 562. A 395xp will pull a 36” bar all day long and could probably pull a 44” in a pinch.

The 3120 is like 2 cinderblocks with a handle. It is pig heavy to handle and just drinks fuel. They are also rev limited very low. As I remember I think they are 9 or 10k max depending on the year and have a fixed carb. They are designed to pull long bars and unless you are into milling or do a lot of big money cuts, they are not really a practical homeowner saw. I have passed on several over they years priced below $500 as I already have one I don’t use often. I haven’t even started mine in half a decade. If it were me, I would put the $900 toward a 395 or 372 or a 562. A 395xp will pull a 36” bar all day long and could probably pull a 44” in a pinch.
not to derail, as you have brought u many valid points...but in my defense of wanting one, I already have two 372's one ported one not, as well as a 365 converted to a 372 and ported....got two 346's so the small and medium sizes are covered...now I just need a big cube monster to play with :)

I have never viewed the 3120 as a “fun” saw. It actually is a lot of work to lug around and run one. Best feature on the 3120 is the thumb “Exxon Valdez” oil switch. In my opinion the 395 is a better saw. I own 2 395xp (one for each hand) and one 3120. I would purchase another 395 if the price was right but I would not buy another 3120 unless I got into milling.

I have never viewed the 3120 as a “fun” saw. It actually is a lot of work to lug around and run one. Best feature on the 3120 is the thumb “Exxon Valdez” oil switch. In my opinion the 395 is a better saw. I own 2 395xp (one for each hand) and one 3120. I would purchase another 395 if the price was right but I would not buy another 3120 unless I got into milling.
you know that is one thing that I honestly wish would make a comeback....keep the auto oiler, but add the ability to add extra when you need it....you could have it set medium or low, and then when you hit some ****** dry stuff you could dump it as needed.

To me for that age saw it seems pricey - mine about the same age but not pretty but all the internals good shape with a 32 inch bar was $600. I know of a few others that have bought for the same price range. It is a big heavy simple lumox of a saw good for milling and buried in huge hardwood. if you want a fully adjustable carb there's a couple people that will put in a 'H' screw for you.

Well with it being in good condition and the 2 bars 1-44in and 1-36in and him meeting me halfway on a 7+ hours drive does it sound reasonable or to expensive?

To put the price in perspective, I purchase mine new in 1999 for $1000. It came in with a 36” bar. Now I don’t know how you value your time but there aint no way in hell I am going to drive 3.5 hours and pay that much for this saw. When I buy used junk, price must be below half of what it cost new or I will just buy new and get a warrantee. Now you can do whatever you want but I think the saw is way overpriced and just too far away.

Only reason why I’m considering it is I cannot find one near me and if I do it’s more expensive. And the factor he said he would meet me halfway.

For the price, your time and the mileage reimbursement, I would just buy new from a local dealer or online. Once again, the 3120 is a cool saw to own but a beast of a thing to run. Just to get it started is an act of Congress. I have snapped 3 starter cords on mine and I don’t use it that often.

not to derail, as you have brought u many valid points...but in my defense of wanting one, I already have two 372's one ported one not, as well as a 365 converted to a 372 and ported....got two 346's so the small and medium sizes are covered...now I just need a big cube monster to play with :)
Sound's like someone is having a CAD void to fill. Lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

The guys cautioning you on the size of the saw have some good points. 3120 is a BIG tree saw. It's not practical for trees less than 40" unless you're milling. A 395 is a far more user friendly saw that can run a 42" skip tooth, no problem.

But if you need a monster saw for monster trees $900 for a 3120 in good shape with two nice bars and chains isn't a horrible price.

Keep in mind that there aren't many aftermarket parts for these saws, so parts cost a lot. If it has broken parts find an OEM price and deduct that from the asking price. Especially plastics and superficial stuff.

Do not buy any saw without looking at the piston and PTO side. Bring something to cut.

Shipping saws isn't so expensive that you can't get one basically anywhere. There is a fellow on here that sells 3120s NIB for $1400 shipped (PHO).

If your just fiending from CAD, buy a ported saw!

Be cautious and make sure you need this saw. Lots of us have gotten burned on 120cc saws.

Good luck!

My biggest thing is I cannot find many good saws for sale in my area for a decent price that are of larger displacement, I also live in a small town that doesn’t have a Husqvarna dealer near me and the one I used to work at was 4hrs away and I wouldn’t shy away from doing buesness with them but I know they don’t keep bigger than a 372xp in stock, and all they have is new saws, and this saw looks prefect mind you I haven’t seen it in person or taken the muffler off but I cannot find a single scratch on the saw. I won’t mind the weight it’s gonna be more of an occasional use saw for monster trees and I haven’t been able to find a new 3120xp near me for less than $1800 and I don’t mind older saws most of mine are 1996 or older. But if I knew someone that had a 395xp that they would let go for a decent price I would defenatly consider it ! My biggest thing is considering the price of a new saw at close to 2k and a nice used one for less than 1k if anyone has had any experience with these saws, would it just be worth it to wait another year or so and hope a good used 395 comes by or try to talk the guy on the 3120 down more and jump on it?

I know I could get by with a 395 no question but I figured due to it being occasional use and the 3120 coming along first after looking for 2years, FYI I’m picky about what I like. I figured wouldn’t hurt. Does anyone have a good 395xp for sale for a decent price located in nc haha. I might get it!

Latest posts

Back