Husqvarna 338XPT

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTMechEng

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have been attempting to find someone who has tried the new 338XPT. It sounds like a great saw but then the memories of the 335 come to mind. Thanks for the input.

Unless they have fixed the ^&&*&^%% spark plug cover, I would stay away.

VTMechEng,
On an unrelated topic. Was that piece of human refuse Dr. Diller still teaching the Heat Transfer course when you were there? He rated the highest on my least favorite professor list even above my chinese Circuits professor that couldn't speak a word of english that had a full time translator that only barely spoke english. But, he's another story.

Dr. Diller was there though I did have him. My personal least favorite was Dr. Jaasma, what an a$$ and everyone my year had to have him.

That is an interesting fix for the 335/338 and much needed. Hey redprospector, do you find that the saw has good power and stays in tune for more then a week of constant use? Thanks guys.

Yeah, the California model I got from Bailey's has great power for a small saw.
I don't like to leave the ground if I don't have to, so I couldn't tell you if it will stay tuned for a week of hard running. I had to do a little tuning after I broke it in to get it to run good at almost 9000 ft. elevation, haven't had to mess with it again. But I've only taken down 4 Doug firs with it so far.
:blob2:

My 338 is less than 6 months old and has cracked left and right, it is literally falling apart. Not to mention you have to clean out the air filter like every 20 cuts. I should bring it back to the dealer and tell him what i think of the new and improved POS.
Gonna go get me a new 200t, just wish I could get one without the lame homeowner gas / oil caps.

I just grounded my 335.. dont run consistent doesnt oil good....went with a new echo cs-341. Untill I really hear alot of good reviews on a husky climbing saws im done with them.

I too am thinking of getting a 338, but now I have heard here some negative comments makes me wonder if I should chose another saw for trimming.

Thank you guys, I had a felling the saw was going to be an over hyped piece of poop. Can't figure out why Husky can make such a great ground saw and such a bad climbing saw.

VTMechEng said:
Dr. Diller was there though I did have him. My personal least favorite was Dr. Jaasma, what an a$$ and everyone my year had to have him.

I really liked Jaasma when I had him for Thermodynamics, but that was way back in 1991. He always played handball with Diller, so Diller's philosophy of screw the undergrad must have worn off. Heat transfer was a Junior level course which he was the only professor and he was still playing by the freshman and sophmore engineering philosophy of fail 40% of the class competing on the curve. All the idoits had been removed by junior year and talk about a stressfull time for everyone involved. I ended up with an ulcer that semester from that class and somehow passed. Unfortunately, 40 percent of the Junior Mech Eng class wasn't so lucky.

Ryan Willock said:
Shouldn't memory lane be kept in the OT?

For someone who i've seen rattle OT many times before, youre getting awfully high and mighty.

Back