Husqvarna 340 rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AR200

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am re building a husky 340. It had bad crank seals and a cracked ring. So I ordered a new 45cc top end and crank bearing and seals. As I was cleaning the case up i could see that the case was deformed a little. I used red rtv to seal the jug to the plastic case also put some on the seal outer race. I torqued it’s down and waited about 10 min and did a pressure test and it was leaking around the outer seal. Is there any hope on getting this to seal off? Some kind of JB weld or yamabond? 530EE5D8-6598-4150-A528-85DB7FA7C593.jpegA7E99212-A0D8-42C9-B983-7AA4F3DDB26D.jpeg

I thought the only difference in them 345 vs 346xp would be the carb.

Sean don't confuse the issue. He has already ordered the 45mm stuff. That is exactly what this saw is originally so the slightly advanced operation of making it into a 346 can come later.
I appreciate it but that one may look just like this one after 3 hrs of cleaning like I had to do to the 340. Did it have a bad top end? Seems that stems from bad crank seals on these.

Nope they are different. 345 open port , plastic cased,homeowner grade saw. It was a bit lighter then the pro grade saws because of this. The 346xp in the oe was 47 cc (if memory serves) and the ne was 50cc, both closed port, much higher power to weight ratio. I dont know for sure if the carbs are different. I thought they were.... the 346xp just had all the pro goodies you'd expect. Sorry didnt mean to derail your thread..

Nope they are different. 345 open port , plastic cased,homeowner grade saw. It was a bit lighter then the pro grade saws because of this. The 346xp in the oe was 47 cc (if memory serves) and the ne was 50cc, both closed port, much higher power to weight ratio. I dont know for sure if the carbs are different. I thought they were.... the 346xp just had all the pro goodies you'd expect. Sorry didnt mean to derail your thread..
[/QUOT
ok what is closed port? Its all good I’m learning in the process. Thanks

It refers to the transfer style. Open port used the piston seal.it closed uses the cylinder wall and has the passages cast in behind the cylinder wall. Very basic explanation. Closed port makes more power imo. Sorry it's late no pics.

So

Sorry to disappoint I tend to make firewood mostly not saws. Maybe one day we can all be as smart as you but not as rude.

Wasn’t being rude to ya, was just meant to emphasize that they are nothing alike. And I’m far from smart lol.

Back