Husqvarna 346 XP or 455 Rancher, for a one saw owner, which is better?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikelleen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of reading on these forums, and have been trying to do some research on other sites as well.

I'm buying my first "real" saw, having owned consumer grade saws in the past (Poulan).

I just put in a new wood fireplace and am planning on cutting 1-3 cords of various firewood per year. I have friends on property with trees of various types. I have a little 14" Poulan saw that got me thru until now, but I am ready to step up to a real saw.

After a lot of research I am trying to decide on either a Husqvarna 455 Rancher - 20" or an 346XP 20", The cost difference between the models is not an issue for me.

What is an issue, is the torque of the 455 vs the H.P. / speed of the 346. Assuming I am going to buy and keep just one saw, what would be the better choice?

I am leaning towards the 346, however I have seen some discussions that the 346 is with less torque might not be the perfect "one saw for all around everything" option, and that the 455 while slower, has better torque and is therefore a better "all around" saw.

Any help is appreciated.

Given the price difference is not an issue, get the 346xp. The 455 will do what you want, but the 346xp is the pro model and will make you smile whenever you run it.

I can't speak for the 346, but i ran a 455 for a while. Had good power, good torque, always started no problem. It was hefty for its power output not the best power to weight ratio. I now have a 372xp which weighs almost the same as the 455, but 15 more cc and 2 more hp and cranks way more revs lol. The XP pro saws are much better quality than the homeowner/landowner saws such as the 455. Not saying the 455 wont last, but pretty much its all plastic, including the front handle, and even the plastic crankcase?

The 455 Rancher more or less IS a consumer grade saw. Not that it's bad.... it's a decent saw, just not a pro saw. Out of those two, I'd definitely go with the 346. Your local dealer may not have one yet, but the new 555 is shaping up to be a very desireable saw. It has gotten good reviews here. Though not a true pro grade saw, the 555 does have magnesium cases, which make it easily rebuildable in the future. Check it out, along with the 346.

P.S. I own both the 455 and 346. Though I consider the 455 a good, reliable saw, I rarely use it now that I have the 346. The 346 is SO much more user friendly (light, great power). :clap:

Really? Everyone so far thinks that the 346XP is the way to go when the OP indicated that he wanted to run it with a 20" bar and chain? There is no arguing the 346 is a better saw than the Rancher but from what I've read here on AS is that it is not nowhere near ideal for continuous use with that size bar. I'd think something along the lines of a 359 or budget allowing 357XP would be more in order.

For the money I'd say get a Dolmar 6400 and call it a big, bright and happy day. :msp_biggrin: No problems pulling a 20" all day long with the 64cc.

Call me crazy, but I would check out the Husky 365. It's a 70cc saw and probably doesnt weigh much more than a 455. That would make you a great one saw deal. You can run a 20" bar or even a 24" if ya wanna. My second choice would be the 555. Actually my first choice would be 555, folllowed by the 365. :msp_biggrin:

Of the two saws listed, hands down the 346xp, a great little saw........but I think if you plan on running 20" bars, you would be better served with a new 555 or find a great deal on a 359 left on a shelf.
To get the performance most speak about on the 346 your going to need to put an unlimited coil in it, and mod the muffler. Haven't had a chance to run a 555, but the 359 has always been an under rated saw.

Call me crazy, but I would check out the Husky 365. It's a 70cc saw and probably doesnt weigh much more than a 455. That would make you a great one saw deal. You can run a 20" bar or even a 24" if ya wanna. My second choice would be the 555. Actually my first choice would be 555, folllowed by the 365. :msp_biggrin:

Well said. 455 isnt a bad saw, but the 346 would get my vote if the 365 isnt an option.

Of the two saws listed, hands down the 346xp, a great little saw........but I think if you plan on running 20" bars, you would be better served with a new 555 or find a great deal on a 359 left on a shelf.
To get the performance most speak about on the 346 your going to need to put an unlimited coil in it, and mod the muffler. Haven't had a chance to run a 555, but the 359 has always been an under rated saw.

The unlimited coil isn't really needed unless the saw has more serious mods than just the muffler, but it makes the saw easier to tune right, if you don't have a tach.

Also, far from all the 346xp saws posted about even have a muffler mod, mine included - they still perform very well for a 50cc saw, and are a joy to use in the woods!

No disagreement Sawtroll, they are an excellent saw. I agree with you 100% it is a far better choice than the 455. It seems like you do see alot of the guys on here do the unlimited coil swap, I never did it with mine and had no issues with tuning. I do think if you are going to run a 20" bar a large portion of the time a 555 may be more suited. When on the fence, always buy one size bigger than you think you need.
It's always easier to run a short bar on a larger saw than a longer bar on a smaller cc saw. If the op is going to be exceeding the 18-20" dia wood often and in hardwoods I'd step up to the next class of saw.

Grab a 372XP with a 20 inch bar and never bog down in anything you cut for firewood use. That is my suggestion.

I own a 455 Rancher and a 272XP and since I've gotten the 272 I've made 3 cuts with the 455. The 272 is a touch heavier but twice the saw.

The 455 bogs down with a 20 inch bar a lot. Under powered and heavy in my opinion. It will cut almost anything you put it in, but it won't win any races.

I can't speak for the 346, but i ran a 455 for a while. Had good power, good torque, always started no problem. It was hefty for its power output not the best power to weight ratio. I now have a 372xp which weighs almost the same as the 455, but 15 more cc and 2 more hp and cranks way more revs lol. The XP pro saws are much better quality than the homeowner/landowner saws such as the 455. Not saying the 455 wont last, but pretty much its all plastic, including the front handle, and even the plastic crankcase?

I dare you to show me a plastic engine crankcase on a Husqvarna.

Maybe you're looking at OUTER cases, like the oil tank.

OK based on the posts and consults here, the 455 is out.

However I would like to than you all for adding to my confusion by throwing in some more choices! :dizzy:

So I THOUGHT I had my choices down to either the 455 or 346XP, now I am also considering the 555,372, etc...

You guys ever hear the Jeff Foxworthy routine where he's talking about how guys shop for most things by the "get in the store and get out method, but just try to get a guy out of a gun and boat show!" :msp_biggrin:

Well shopping for a new saw, is pretty much the same thing, so I'll start diggin in on these other saws mentioned. I haven't heard about the 555 or others mentioned.

Chances are I would not use the 20" bar often. More likely an 18" would be satisfactory, however I indicated the 20" because my local Husqvarna dealer has both saws set up with 20" bars. On asking about them, he stated he typically sells them that way.

To narrow the suggested choices down, I'm 52 so I do like the idea of a lighter easier to handle saw. I will probably be cutting stuff I'd need a 20" bar for about 10 percent of the time, but it will happen.

Mostly pine, some Oak, Manzaneta, Poplar, and occasional fruit trees.

Just to throw more fuel onto the fire, I was alo considering the Dolmar PS 5105 and have been doing most of my dcision making based off this thread: http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/163983.htm

I was backing off the Dolmar because there are not as may Dolmar dealers in my area that I have found.
Thanks for the help

Trying to reply but getting issue with approvals :confused: I'm sure it's because I'm a new member to the community.

In case my reply did not get thru, I am trying it again, I have decided after reading the advice here, that I'm going with a pro saw, currently leaning towards the 346XP.

However, I now need to also consider the 555, the 372, as mentioned in the thread.

I'm not going to be needing 20" except for maybe 10% of the time. The reason for mentioning 20" was primarily because my local dealer has both the 455 and 346 set up with 20" bars.

I'm 52 so lightness counts, I'll be cussing mostly pine, poplar, some apple or other fruit trees, and some Oak.

Back