husqvarna 346xp VS. STIHL MS260PRO

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
currently the size ranges of the trees would be from 2" all the way to 8" or 9". I am thinking that I might purchase the ps5100 with a 16 inch bar. A little heavier than the 346 but also seems to have more power. It seems that it gets good reviews.

+1 for Stihl

(Keep in mind that I have not run a 346xp or a 5100)

I run a muff mod'd MS260 with a 16" bar and Stihl 26RS chain (.325 x .63) with an 8-pin sprocket if there’s a better limb (1" to 12") machine out there I would love to try it out. This set up works well for light felling and bucking too but if I were doing larger than 14" hardwood on a regular basis I would go back to the 7-pin sprocket.

I vote for the 260 . I believe there is some reliable 346's and some lemon 260's.I would feel more confident the Stihl likely would be more reliable judging by my experiance and observation. I have quite of few hours on both and I like some things on the 346 better but I like the powerband on the 26 myself. Mabe the 346 is faster,I don't notice it myself , I think I go close to as fast with the 26 and so far have less down time per hour.I am 48 years old and vibration on the 26 hasn't bothered me yet ,so its smooth enough for me even though the 346 is smoother. The air cleaner gets a few taps when fueling,but it only takes less then a minute . I have to break a few minutes now and then anyway so that isn't a big deal to me.

Just curious what that down time could be ? IMO, the 346 has:

- Much better anti vibe.
- Air filtration . As much better as it could possibly get. Sthil seems to have this self-get-dirty-automatic-mechanism that basically sucks the dirt into the filer. Didn't pay much attention to it before when I only ran my 026. But now when I compare to the 353 ...
- Much faster acceleration.
- Better ergonomics.

In all, a saw with better performance and less maintenance.

Also, not to forget. My 353 has much lower fuel consumption than my 026.
Maybe that's true for 346/260 as well?

/Peter

I vote for the 260 . I believe there is some reliable 346's and some lemon 260's.I would feel more confident the Stihl likely would be more reliable judging by my experiance and observation. I have quite of few hours on both and I like some things on the 346 better but I like the powerband on the 26 myself. Mabe the 346 is faster,I don't notice it myself , I think I go close to as fast with the 26 and so far have less down time per hour.I am 48 years old and vibration on the 26 hasn't bothered me yet ,so its smooth enough for me even though the 346 is smoother. The air cleaner gets a few taps when fueling,but it only takes less then a minute . I have to break a few minutes now and then anyway so that isn't a big deal to me.

Just curious what that down time could be ? IMO, the 346 has:

- Much better anti vibe.
- Air filtration . As much better as it could possibly get. Sthil seems to have this self-get-dirty-automatic-mechanism that basically sucks the dirt into the filer. Didn't pay much attention to it before when I only ran my 026. But now when I compare to the 353 ...
- Much faster acceleration.
- Better ergonomics.

In all, a saw with better performance and less maintenance.

Also, not to forget. My 353 has much lower fuel consumption than my 026.
Maybe that's true for 346/260 as well?

/Peter

The ms260/026 is a boat anchor of a aw and the worst pro saw stihl makes. The 346 bests it in every way.
And Yes I have owned a 260 and a 346 at the same time. I dont think anyone who has owned both will say the 260 is the better saw. The armchair experts are a different story though.:buttkick:

The armchair experts are a different story though.:buttkick:

So I'm going to pipe up, even though I've only run the 260. (and not much at that) I'm not impressed with the 260, but I also run bigger saws, and am used to using an 044 with a 32" bar for everything. (you don't carry 2 saws on a fire) SO, the 260 is weak to me. However, I don't have any comparison to anything else in the class. Earlier in the week, I decided to buy a 50cc saw, so I went through this decision as well. I ended up going with the 5100. The 260 wasn't my cup of tea, and I've had some bad luck with Huskies. (although I can count on one hand the huskies I've run) Nothing too bad, it just kinda seemed like the Stihl voodoo gods were making little things go wrong to scare me away. I've heard great things about the 5100, so I figured I'd give it a go. Haven't gotten it yet, so no review yet. Get the saw that works for you. Better yet, get the saw that the dealer works for you. Saw to saw, I'd avoid the 260, the 346 and 5100 are more modern designs. That means something from a Stihl guy.

The 346xp no doubt is the better saw, antivibe and air filter system are much better, and most evidense also say that it is faster.

That saw originally was consieved as a high speed limbing saw, and I don't think it has been bettered yet, for that application.

I agree with Sawtroll anything under 10 inches its untouchable .I love mine
:bowdown: 346xp

Between the Husky 346 and the Stihl S260. I'd get the 346.
You didn't ask about it in your original post, but it got mentioned along the way...the Dolmar 5100s is a good saw, I have one , and like it.
But between the three.
1st- Husky 346. Light and strong.
2nd-Dolmar 5100s. It does "seem" a little better built, but it's negligible. Especially for a 50cc or so sized saw.
3rd-Stihl MS260 Pro.

Husky 346, in my opinion.

I know this is an older thread, but....I was bored. ;)

Take care,
Mitch

Something about the 260 feels really solid. I am certain that it will last a very long time. Very reliable, handles really well too.

That being said, the 346 is the all around better performer.
Its not even debatable.
Less vibes, faster cutter, more powerful, better air filtration, and probably equally reliable.

Both run a .325, but I would NEVER put more than a 16" on a 260.

I have run an 18" on a 346 and it runs fine.

I had to get both, and like em both, but if you HAVE to have one, the 346 is more versatile and just FUN.

Hi,

I've used both and the 346XP beats the 260 just about every way possible except for the 346XP having a narrow powerband and likely less torque (not that it matters much for a limbing saw).

In general for me the saw buying rule is small saws = Husqvarna and big saws = Stihl.

Bye

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back