Husqvarna 350 saw thoughts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have many of the smaller older husky saws. I have many 350’s, 346, 257, to play with. What about the 257 with the 262 cylinder is that the hot ticket for this little saw.?

The 45mm cylinder that comes on a 350 or 353 is not really the best design for performance. If you want to upgrade, I'd start with a 346xp top end in either 42 or 44.3mm flavor. There are threads available if you search on the modifications that need to be done to make that setup work. After that the normal(timing, muffler, carb and intake) mods can take it further. Cylinder modifications(porting) are the next step after that. You may be able to find a builder to just grind a jug for you, but I believe most of them prefer to have the whole powerhead to really dial it in as slight variations in cases, cranks, etc can change timing.

Another alternative that has been found to work well is the Hyway aftermarket top end. It is a closed quad port transfer arrangement and it's 45mm. You can also get a pop up piston from this company to further take compression up. Most that have used these agree that the quality and performance is very good.

So, I get that the 350 is a clammie, and a step down from the 353. But what are the advantages of upgrading the top end to the 346 over the 353?

The 353 & 346 Both spec the same hp and weight. If the 346 is "pro" and 353 not, is it that there is a weight difference in the top ends, all else similar? Or is the difference that one has more torque than the other?

So, I get that the 350 is a clammie, and a step down from the 353. But what are the advantages of upgrading the top end to the 346 over the 353
More power and cutting speed.
The 353 & 346 Both spec the same weight.
This is true
The 353 & 346 Both spec the same hp
This is false, not sure where you read this.
Or is the difference that one has more torque than the other?
Kind of. The 353 has a wider band of usable power, but the peak is lower and at a lower rpm. Think of the 300 straight six Ford engine of the 70's and 80's vs a 289 V8. Not a perfect example, but hopefully you get the comparison.

More power and cutting speed.

This is true

This is false, not sure where you read this.

Kind of. The 353 has a wider band of usable power, but the peak is lower and at a lower rpm. Think of the 300 straight six Ford engine of the 70's and 80's vs a 289 V8. Not a perfect example, but hopefully you get the comparison.

Well, the OE is .1 hp more, but you're right. I read the wrong column

Latest posts

Back