husqvarna 350 vs 450

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brent denny

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Just wondering how the new 450 is stacking up against the old 350. I have a 350 that has seen borderline commercial use and has never skipped a beat (not even a loose muffler!). I would be curious to hear how they compare from someone that has used both. The 450 has a few nice features the 350 doesn't. It has a quick release top cover, a more secure air filter setup, and a fuel level window. The only downfall I see is the single bar stud. How is the power from that strato engine?

My buddy has a brand new 450 he's only tacked on about 6 hours on it so far. I have a 350.
The 450 seems the same power wise and hasn't given him any major problems. I say major because I think the carb is out of adjustment right now, but he hasn't had time to bring it back to the dealer.
He has the tooless bar tensioner it's worked great so far.
It doesn't feel a whole lot different than the 350.

Just wondering how the new 450 is stacking up against the old 350. I have a 350 that has seen borderline commercial use and has never skipped a beat (not even a loose muffler!). I would be curious to hear how they compare from someone that has used both. The 450 has a few nice features the 350 doesn't. It has a quick release top cover, a more secure air filter setup, and a fuel level window. The only downfall I see is the single bar stud. How is the power from that strato engine?

brent denny;
The 450 seems to be a very good saw, sold 4 of them back in Dec. 2 of the guys have already gone thru 3 chains each on their saws and no problems at all. The single bar stud poses no problem, as it has two other unthreaded studs to hold the bar and clutch cover in place. They are very user friendly, and the latch top cover is great.
BTW the two guys that have gone thru the 3 chains, are using 20" bars and cutting mesquite wood daily, mesquite is a very very hard wood.

brent denny;
The 450 seems to be a very good saw, sold 4 of them back in Dec. 2 of the guys have already gone thru 3 chains each on their saws and no problems at all. The single bar stud poses no problem, as it has two other unthreaded studs to hold the bar and clutch cover in place. They are very user friendly, and the latch top cover is great.
BTW the two guys that have gone thru the 3 chains, are using 20" bars and cutting mesquite wood daily, mesquite is a very very hard wood.

I would agree the 450 is a good saw for the money! Power wise as good maybe even feels like it has a little more torque, cant say for sure. New top cover is nice, so is new kill switch/choke. No problems with the new bar stud set up, 3 studs one nut! I have had both saws still have the 450, just bought a 350 for my brother and would buy either one again. :chainsawguy:

Just a tid bit of info in regards to these saws. They are the same saw. With any saw in the Husky line-up, the numbers to mean something. The first number on the saw is the generation of the saw. The next two are the designation of the CCs. So, that being said, 350 = 3rd generation 50cc saw, 450 = 4th generation 50cc saw. There are obviously changes (usually for the better) from one generation to the other and in some cases (like the 346xp) they actually give her a little more love.

Hope this helps.

-Kevin

Just a tid bit of info in regards to these saws. They are the same saw. With any saw in the Husky line-up, the numbers to mean something. The first number on the saw is the generation of the saw. The next two are the designation of the CCs. So, that being said, 350 = 3rd generation 50cc saw, 450 = 4th generation 50cc saw. There are obviously changes (usually for the better) from one generation to the other and in some cases (like the 346xp) they actually give her a little more love.

Hope this helps.

-Kevin

Great info, thanks.

No problem. Oh BTW Mike nice sig!! Go Bosox!

Redsox are a great team! Love em or hate them, they get the biggest fan base nation wide. Grew up in Boston and around baseball.

My cousin played for the yankees and other teams. My uncle played for the Cubs.

350/450

Even though the 450 replaced the 350 there are quite a few differences in the saws besides a new top cover etc. The 350 was 3.15 cu.in, while the 450 is 3.06! The 450 has a longer stroke and smaller bore, diff carb. Actually a new design compared to the 350! Still both good saws just not the same saw with a new number.
:greenchainsaw:

Even though the 450 replaced the 350 there are quite a few differences in the saws besides a new top cover etc. The 350 was 3.15 cu.in, while the 450 is 3.06! The 450 has a longer stroke and smaller bore, diff carb. Actually a new design compared to the 350! Still both good saws just not the same saw with a new number.

They ARE the same saw with a new number. That is what the numbers on the side of the saw mean. Where as there have been changes (hence the different generations) to the saw, they remain the same. The 450 is the direct replacement for the 350 it has just been upgraded/changed and given the new designation that it is the 4th generation of the saw.

Hope this helps.

-Kevin

Oversimplified story, fits in some cases, but far from all.

.....and they sure are not the same saw, but they do fill the same spot in the line-up.

Sure they are not exactly the same saw. That is the point of having a new generation # given to it. But the formula and the reasoning for the numbers on the saw is as I previously stated. Strokes, carbs, etc. can and will change in order to have a difference (the justification for the new series number), but essentially they are the same saws. This is how Husqvarna does it. Regardless of the exceptions (as there are to every rule).

I'm not buying it.

Sure they are not exactly the same saw. That is the point of having a new generation # given to it. But the formula and the reasoning for the numbers on the saw is as I previously stated. Strokes, carbs, etc. can and will change in order to have a difference (the justification for the new series number), but essentially they are the same saws. This is how Husqvarna does it. Regardless of the exceptions (as there are to every rule).

No way the new 450 is even remotely the same as the old 350 other than the color.
I think you must be confusing husky with Stihl like the 026 to MS260 - - -now that saw has been the same almost forever!! Just ask the Stihlheads.

Al

No way the new 450 is even remotely the same as the old 350 other than the color.
I think you must be confusing husky with Stihl like the 026 to MS260 - - -now that saw has been the same almost forever!! Just ask the Stihlheads.

Al

I am not confused at all. This IS what the numbers for the saws mean. There is no question about it.

They ARE the same saw with a new number. That is what the numbers on the side of the saw mean. Where as there have been changes (hence the different generations) to the saw, they remain the same. The 450 is the direct replacement for the 350 it has just been upgraded/changed and given the new designation that it is the 4th generation of the saw.

What??????????

Sorry, but this is not even remotely close to being an accurate post. It is incorrect and very misleading. The 450 and 350 are two completely different saws, not different generations of the same saw. What were the first and second generations?

The only parts these saws share are the fuel caps and the spark plug. Everything else is different. Tanks, handles, flywheel, oil pump, starter, coil, carb, piston and cylinder, muffler, crankcase........Everything.

:jawdrop:

Is that not what I said, The 450 replaced the 350!! As for them being the same saw , I guess that means a my 1975 3/4 ton chevy is the same pickup as the new 3/4 ton DURAMAX !! I didnt know I was so lucky! They have the same numbers on the side to 2500!

What??????????

Sorry, but this is not even remotely close to being an accurate post. It is incorrect and very misleading. The 450 and 350 are two completely different saws, not different generations of the same saw. What were the first and second generations?

The only parts these saws share are the fuel caps and the spark plug. Everything else is different. Tanks, handles, flywheel, oil pump, starter, coil, carb, piston and cylinder, muffler, crankcase........Everything.

Thanks for the info! I thought I knew a little bit since I had both saws. I just didnt know how dumb I was! They are a totally diff saw just as you stated!

You pretty much had it right in this post. The 450 is a replacement for the discontinued 350. But they are two completely different saws. The 450 is a clean sheet design and shares absolutely nothing with the 350.

Back