Husqvarna 350 Warranty Issue?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoncaliVineyard

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello Fellow Arborists,
This is quite a long story and I thought that I would get some advice from the people in this forum, as I have been quite successful with the information provided here. Anyways, my Dad had been using a McCulloch Timberbear 650 for about 20 year so and it was beginning to show its age with numerous broken parts, striped fasteners and warn bar and chain. He is a Millwright at a wood treatment facility here in town and has extensive knowledge mechanics. It was my Mom's idea to purchase him a new chainsaw for Christmas last year. We live in Eugene, Oregon and she decided to talk to the people at Mr. Chainsaw. She went in there and told them the situation with the McCulloch. They told here that they couldn't get parts anymore for them since they were out of business. This is only remotely true because we all know there are always parts out there online. They told her that the Husqvarna 350 was a good choice because we are on a farm and we only occasionally use for sawing up a tree or two a year. In our area we mostly have Douglas Fir, so it isn't too difficult to saw up, not like oak or maple. My Mom had them set the saw up, adjust the carburetor and set the bar and chain. We figured that we should let them do it because they are supposed to know quite a lot about chainsaws.
We used the saw last winter around Christmas and spring. As the weather turned my Dad used it more and more, limbing up many trees without climbing gear. It was painful to watch him climb the stobs. He is like a monkey though. Regardless, it performed well, it was light and powerful for its size.
We didn't use it for about 2 months or so during late-fall, early summer. We then used it to cut two stumps out and a small tree. When we were cutting the small tree the exhaust started rattling. We turned it off immediately. We found that one of the fasteners that holds the exhaust on had fell out and the other one was striped. We took it down to Mr. Chainsaw, where my Mom had purchased it, and they installed a new bolt and helicoiled the other bolt hole. They also installed lock-washers (futile). We also installed a 3/8" sprocket, windsor bar, and a 72V/72 Vanguard chain. The chain that came on it was very small and stretched out so badly that we had to throw the bar and chain away.
Our neighbor fell a dead tree behind our property with his Husqvarna saw and pushed it over with his Fiat-Allis crawler. It was very easy, no wedging. So we attempted to saw the tree up with the 350. We used it for about an hour and the exhaust fell completely off. This suprised and irritated my Dad, whom is a workaholic. His famous words are, "I just can't get anything done around here." My Dad takes the saw into Mr. Chainsaw and is very irritated with them and the saw, as it is only 10 months old. Considering his other saw is almost 30 years old. Regardless, they fix the other fastener and install new gaskets. They also tell us that the cylinder is scored and it has been running lean. They correct the lean issue. My Dad informs them that they set up the saw and we have always mixed the correct fuel in it. Granted my Dad is a millwright and works machinery all the time. They seem unfazed and my Dad takes the saw back unhappy with their words. We get it out there and it wont cut, it just has no power. It is shot. I think the exhaust falling off when running it ran it even "leaner".
So I figure we have a warranty issue here, Maybe not? In the manual it states that we need to watch the fasteners. Yet, they should be responsible for making sure the saw is not running lean. It is a young saw in pitiful condition.
There was also another strange occurence with this saw. I called Husqvarna customer service to see if I could make a warranty claim. Anyways, they claim that Mr.Chainsaw is not an authorized service center and having them work on it could void my warranty.They claimed that the authorized service center was Jerry's Home Improvement, which is like a Home Depot. It is strange because Jerry's has no service center. So I called Mr. Chainsaw and asked them if they were authorized service center and they told me, "Yes." So I don't know who to believe or trust. I am thinking about just selling this piece of #### on ebay. Pardon my language.
I was thinking that it might have been better to buy one of those crappy Poulan Wild Things instead. But I did the next best thing and bought a elderly McCulloch 10-10A.

Last edited:
Husky = 2 year warranty.. If you can't get husky to rebuild it/ exchange it, think of it as another learning curve of life...

I like husky
I like yamaha
I like Ford
I LOVE harley
I LOVE KTM

These are just some of the companies I will never do business with again. I'll buy used, but never another dollar in there pocket if I can help it. I think the older you get, the longer your list. As a consumer, its the only real leverage we have.

It had a .385 sprocket on it.

It had a.385 sprocket and a small chain, similar to a 91. I wanted to run something that I could get anywhere in Oregon, like a 72/72. Also, I wanted something that could cut. I figured a 52cc engine could take a 20" bar with a more meaty chain. The bar was completely shot.

Warranty

Yes, I figured it would be covered by the 2 year warranty but Mr. Chainsaw told me that we did not maintain the fasteners. They said that I was using in commerically (30 day)but that is not true. We don't use it in that fashion and if I did it probably would have not made it week if I was "logging" with it. I will talk to Husqvarna again and see what they say. Well, it could me an important lesson, I do agree. Don't buy a chainsaw made of recycled milk jugs.

Yes, it oiled.

The saw did squirt oil as it should. I also claimed that it was similar to a 91, not a 91. I believe it was the chain that you mentioned in your last post. The bar was bad because we had pinched it and used the #### out of it. We're pretty rough with stuff out here. Regardless, I didn't want that weak chain on there anyways. Also, the subject at hand is not the chain or the bar on the saw but if the saw should be covered under warranty.

Last edited:
where do I begin...

1. Lean condition - your dealer noticed this "condition" buy saying your p&c is stuffed, but it is most likely because the muffler has been loose. floppy mufflers can ruin a saw just as bad as no oil in the fuel... so probably nothing to do with the mix etc.

2. a 350 is not a logging or pro saw. it is a fine heavy amateur saw, but thats it. its probably the best heavy amateur saw out there, but still.... if you had a POS home depot saw you would have been worse off

3. loose muffler. heres the tricky one. On pre delivery, your dealer should have tightened them up to check them. It also says in your owners manual that you need to check them regularly. You mentioned chain problems - unfortunately one of the first side effects of a poorly maintained chain is vibration. guess what happens to a bolt when under extreme vibration.... yip, they come loose.

So, the loose muffler problem. who is to blame? that will always be an awkward question to find the answer to... unfortunately odds are its not a warranty. 99% of the time a loose muffler is either dealer or user error, so one of you will end up paying for it.

stk

As far as the chain issue goes, this is an operator problem, and not the fault of the saw.

The muffler/cylinder deal is warranty and if the dealer took the time to call Husky tech, he could have resolved this for you.

We had the same thing happen last week, only worse. One of the muffler bolts came out and the the muffler rotated down, blocking the exhaust port. This is what scores the P&C as it gets too hot. In our case, the exhaust gases also "drilled" a hole right through the case into the oil tank. The saw is junk, and not worth repairing. Husky authorized me to give him a new saw. They didn't even want the thing back, just had to send them the ID tag. (so I get some parts to sell ;) )

In your situation, the solution would more likely be a cylinder replacement, since your bottom end is OK. Mr. Chainsaw should at least call them and see what they say. Is he actually a Husky dealer? I'm confused about what you were told regarding him not being authorized.

Other odd thing is that my customers saw was just about 10 months also.

So, the loose muffler problem. who is to blame? that will always be an awkward question to find the answer to... unfortunately odds are its not a warranty. 99% of the time a loose muffler is either dealer or user error, so one of you will end up paying for it.

stk

Normally, yes. But they are cutting some slack with 350's

Not to sidetrack the issue but having just bought 2 350's... I see where Locktite 242 might not help here due to heat- Is there another thread sealing compound that may help prevent these bolt from loosening? I will definitely keep an eye on mine but just can't help but think there is a more longterm fix besides change in thread ptich by Husky.

2Door

Not to sidetrack the issue but having just bought 2 350's... I see where Locktite 242 might not help here due to heat- Is there another thread sealing compound that may help prevent these bolt from loosening? I will definitely keep an eye on mine but just can't help but think there is a more longterm fix besides change in thread ptich by Husky.

2Door

if the bolt is tight to start with and your chain is sharpened correctly you will never have any issues...

ive seen mufflers come loose on homeys, stihls, echos, shindaiwas, huskys, and oleomacs just to name a few... fix the chain, fix the dealer, fix the customer, fix the problem. pick 2 / 4

Sorry Spike..............Dont even get me started on the Husky warranty issues........All I can say is I sure hope Husky does a better job now than in the past...........

Your right. I know the story you are talking about, and they really blew that one. Sometimes it's a happy ending and sometimes not. I glad I got my guy taken care of, but I would have reacted the same as Gordie if I went through what he did. There are some new people down there, and things have been real good lately. But with any company, things can change at any time.

I have replaced piston and cylinder on about 15 husky 350's under warranty. It is a factory defect as they have corrected the problem by adding another fixation point for the muffler to cylinder head mount. Als:clap: o they redesigned the muffler for crush resistance when the muffler bolts are tightened.

Latest posts

Back