Husqvarna 350

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeymt33

I bleed YELLOW!
Reaction score
I was given this saw today. It's a husky 350, consumer saw is what it looks like. Anyway, the previous owner ran diesel fuel in it and scored the piston and cylinder. I'm not experienced with these. Does anyone have any recommendations for a rebuild other than a standerd top end kit? Any BB kits for this saw? I'm not going to be putting a lot of time in this saw nor money. I'd just like it to run like stock or slightly better if it can be done easy.

8ypyqy3e.jpg

Get the 353 or 346 top end for it. Also a manifold metal clamp kit if it doesn't already have it.

I have one with an older 346XP top end and love it. It's one of my favorite saws. I didn't do the mod. so not really sure what all needs to be done to do this.

The 350 is a good saw. The free score is even better!

The 346xp cylinder is a closed port, iirc.

I doubt the diesel fuel scored the piston?

The piston was already scored when diesel fuel was put in the tank to cause it to not run.

You can probably save the cylinder and just put a 353 piston in it and a new metal boot clamp.

I doubt the diesel fuel scored the piston?

The piston was already scored when diesel fuel was put in the tank to cause it to not run.

You can probably save the cylinder and just put a 353 piston in it and a new metal boot clamp.

It's too far gone to save the piston or cylinder. The saw is almost new with only several hours on it. I know the guy who gave it to me. The diesel fuel is still in the tank. He just pulled it out of the garage and said it hasn't ran in years since he put the wrong fuel in it right after he got it.

Diesel fuel wouldn't provide the lubrication that the saw needs which is why the piston galled and scored the walls.

I just want to make sure that I don't get a cheap top end kit that won't last.

Something else to note is, this saw has the dished piston and the plastic crankcase bottom. Will that change anyone's recommendations?

Something else to note is, this saw has the dished piston and the plastic crankcase bottom. Will that change anyone's recommendations?

I think they all had a plastic crankcase. The dished piston is what de-tunes that saw, that's why a 353 piston is better, it is a flat top. Definetly replace that intake clamp with the newer metal one. It is hard to believe that the diesel is what scored the p/c, it should have had enough lubricity to run until the operator noticed the problem. If you could save that cylinder it is a cheap fix. If you are sure you can't save the cylinder I think I would look closer at the 346 kit. Post some pics of the exhaust side of your cyl. before you make a move, I just did one recently, it had alot of transfer but it cleaned right up. Some light touch-ups and light flex honing, a 353 piston and I've got a good little runner for under 40 bucks.

I think they all had a plastic crankcase. The dished piston is what de-tunes that saw, that's why a 353 piston is better, it is a flat top. Definetly replace that intake clamp with the newer metal one. It is hard to believe that the diesel is what scored the p/c, it should have had enough lubricity to run until the operator noticed the problem. If you could save that cylinder it is a cheap fix. If you are sure you can't save the cylinder I think I would look closer at the 346 kit. Post some pics of the exhaust side of your cyl. before you make a move, I just did one recently, it had alot of transfer but it cleaned right up. Some light touch-ups and light flex honing, a 353 piston and I've got a good little runner for under 40 bucks.
Welcome to ultra low sulphur diesel. No lubricity.

The 350 I have here right now has a flat top piston. I'm selling the whole thing off eBay to make $$ for marine base churches so if y want to see a pic of the piston, I can pm a link.

I'll post some pics tomorrow. I think you're right about the cylinder, I can hang my finger nail on the aluminum transfer that's stuck to the wall. It may not have scored too bad.

Just another note worth mentioning, the earlier 350's had a 44mm piston vs newer with 45mm. I'm pretty sure be it that yours is dished makes it a 45mm, don't hold me to it though. It's definetly worth making sure before you order a piston. Mine is an 07 it is 45mm. same as the 353.

Latest posts

Back