husqvarna 350

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scaczac

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
husqvarna 350 help

i have a husky 350 i bought about 5 years ago or so and have used it just around the farm till this summer. i bought a woodburner(fuel oil prices eating me up) so its time to start cutting firewood. i had to have the oil gear replaced a couple years ago and i just got it back yesterday from the shop to fix a intake gasket leak.i was cutting today and now its not oiling again.checked to make sure it wasn't plugged up and it wasn't.my question is it seems i'm having alot of trouble with this and as you all know when its time to cut wood its time to cut wood not have your saw in the shop.did i just get a lemon or is this typical for the 350.i really like the huskys but just about ready to by a stihl.any input would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Yeah because everyone knows that Stihls never fail/need repair....:monkey:

You've got a decent saw in the 350, not a great saw, but its better than a homeowner Stihl to me. What bar oil are you using? not letting it run dry before refilling right?

I've started hanging around a new saw shop and was looking over the dead saw pile the other day. He has probably 3 dozen saws and I noticed at least 10 of them were Husky 350s. I'm not sure if this is because there has been problems with the 350 or maybe Husky just sold a gazillion of them.

I'm sure that someone will have more insight into this than I do.

I've started hanging around a new saw shop and was looking over the dead saw pile the other day. He has probably 3 dozen saws and I noticed at least 10 of them were Husky 350s. I'm not sure if this is because there has been problems with the 350 or maybe Husky just sold a gazillion of them.

I'm sure that someone will have more insight into this than I do.

People LOVE to straight gas the 350's.

Taken care of, the 350 will last a few seaons of regular use without many major problems...but you got to keep good clean gas in them, mixed 50:1 with a good oil. like Echo Power BLend, Stihl Super, Husky XP oil, etc. You also have to keep them in tune, if it doesnt sound right, stop using it, put a tach on it and see if its running too fast. It may need tuning, or you may have a plugged ful filter, or an air leak. Keep it clean, blow it off when you're done. I take mine, take the covers off, soak it in a mild solvent, like BIG RED, and power wash it. Then blow it off with air, and Assemble it. It still looks showroom fresh and loves it.

A poorly maintained, dirty saw, that has old gas in it wont impress anyone, and it wont last logn either.

Taken care of, you can beat on a 350 all day long!!!
I think you got a lemon, I wouldn't think twice about guying another 350!! I've had mine for four years, couldn't blow it up so I did a woods port. It runs better than it ever did!!

More than any other saw? Logic does not compute Will Robinson...........

For whatever reason, something about people going to Lowes, picking up a nice new 350...they just cant help but race home and dump straight gas in it..Dotn see it with 455 Ranchers, or any Echo stuff, or even poulans. But man people loved to straight gas the 350...

For whatever reason, something about people going to Lowes, picking up a nice new 350...they just cant help but race home and dump straight gas in it..Dotn see it with 455 Ranchers, or any Echo stuff, or even poulans. But man people loved to straight gas the 350...

Doesn't say much about their owners, at least regionally. It still does not make any sense unless it is proportionate in some way. BTW, before anyone takes it personally, I own one also.

Doesn't say much about their owners, at least regionally. It still does not make any sense unless it is proportionate in some way. BTW, before anyone takes it personally, I own one also.

Ive got one too, and it was straightgassed out of the box..Guy brought it to lowes, lowes told him to take it to us, we told Lowes it was cooked, Lowes replaced it with a new one...I kept the old one.

Tore it down, honed the cylinder, wirewheeled the piston and cleaned up the ring, boom well over 150psi cold and dry. Piston cleaned up like brand new, cylinder looked perfect, and it runs like a champ...price was right.

Would I have paid what they wanted for a new one...hell no.

I mean, its a decent saw, and runs out nice...but I dont think it is anything special. Im still kicking around the idea of getting a NE346XP piston and Cylinder..and having a NE350XP:hmm3grin2orange: But durn they want a fortune for those parts.

You would have to kill me, take my wallet, and use my cash to get my money spent on another 346!!!!!
Yeah, I have no use for that saw!!!
I will buy two 350's before I buy another 346!!!

i have a 350 at one time my oiler quit working a few years ago,
the only thing i did was to turn the oiler up and down a few times
noticed you could push in the adjuster while turning the screw

dont know if it had a piece trash in it but it's worked fine, never been in the shop for service and a dang good saw for the money

Ive got one too, and it was straightgassed out of the box..Guy brought it to lowes, lowes told him to take it to us, we told Lowes it was cooked, Lowes replaced it with a new one...I kept the old one.

Tore it down, honed the cylinder, wirewheeled the piston and cleaned up the ring, boom well over 150psi cold and dry. Piston cleaned up like brand new, cylinder looked perfect, and it runs like a champ...price was right.

Would I have paid what they wanted for a new one...hell no.

I mean, its a decent saw, and runs out nice...but I dont think it is anything special. Im still kicking around the idea of getting a NE346XP piston and Cylinder..and having a NE350XP:hmm3grin2orange: But durn they want a fortune for those parts.

To be totally honest, mine was run on straight gas also. That's how I got it and it was a freebie. I stuck a 353 piston in mine and it runs great. Better or worse than a stocker? I couldn't tell you, I never ran another to judge by. That being said, I've picked up a lot of saws run on straight gas but, never more than one of a specific model.

BTW, that's how I got my 346 also, like new, run on straight gas and a freebie. I was even able to save the piston on that one. I thought it was a great candidate to send to Big Dave and have him work it over. I must admit it is a Hellion! I don't think I'll have trouble getting out of it what I have in it, if need be.

what don't you like about a 346? just curios.

Fair enough.
I bought a used one, it had issues? I tried this, I tried that, no love, didn't run like I wanted. I tore the cylinder off, ground it out three times. I went through the carb more times than I can count. NEVER did anything to impress me.
I got bored and drunk one night, did the same mods to my 350. Lighter saw, that cut circles around the "end all beat all 50cc saw"
I couldn't figure out what I did wrong. I asked and asked, Ieven offerd to pay shipping to have the "experts" look at it.Nobody would step up but one man that wishes to remain silent. I sent the saw to him so he could tel me what was wrong. He called me an hour after having the saw wanting to buy it with no changes made?
I guess I am an idiot and don't know how to run it?
But either way, no more for me. I can mod a 350 to run like a scalded ape, and they are cheap with a LOT more usable tourqe, AND cheaper!!
I guess I will stick with what I know?

thanks

thanks to everyone who replied,i burn husky oil in it and bought it at a authorized husky dealer.am thinking now about getting a husky 460 rancher or a stihl 310 any suggestions.guess i'm gonna have to blow the dust off my old homelite 410.thanks again:chainsawguy:

The only problem with 350's is are the muffler bolts backing out. Not on all of them, but enough that you should keep an eye on it.

The more I've looked into this, the stranger it gets. It seems to be confined to the newer 350's. The problem seemed to show up when they changed to the capped port cylinder in 2003. Also, it doesn't seem to happen with the 340 or 345 either. The same applies to the Jonsered versions of thos saws.

Other than that, they've sold tons of them, and it a lot of saw for the money. On the oiler, I'd take a look at the pump drive gear first. Oil pumps on those things seldom have any problems.

Just got a refurbed Makita6401-64cc($289)as a firewood saw :chainsawguy: , which I've used for about a week on windfall and bigger branches were a result of recent storms. So far, so good. Maybe give it a try, its a great price for that size saw, which is really a Dolmar in blue :bowdown: .

I have a Johnsered 2152 which is the same as the 353 and I've never liked the oiler on mine, in fact the first saw I bought I took right back for that reason and the replacement saw oiler works but not that great. I have a buddy with a husky 359 that is the same way. I used to have an old echo that really threw the oil.

Back