Husqvarna 357XP and Stihl 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think your choice should be based on what you'll be cutting.Around here,the 357 is considered a "pulp saw"......it's a screamer that seems well suited at bucking(8 ft. lengths) and limbing small to medium-sized softwoods with tons of branches.I like my 357 a lot,especially if I'm doing much limbing(it's fast).....but the one day I spent cutting firewood with a 361 made me think it's a little torquier and may be the better of the two for strictly firewood cutting.You really won't be disappointed with either saw,both are well- built and field-proven....flip a coin.

I prefer the 361 but I have a friend who swears by his 357xp and he uses it every day. I'm more of a guy that likes chainsaws not one that relies on them. The 361 feels like it has more torque and feels better built IMHO but the 357 really rips. If you put out a couple of logs and timed them stock they would be close. Out of the box I think the 361 will take it marginally.

That being said, no matter which saw you choose, I would make sure they don't stick a chain with the training wheels on it(safety chain). If you get the 361 it will most likely come stock with Stihl RSC which even the Husky guys envy. The 357 will come with some variety of Oregon chain.

Price new, they are pretty comparable. Re-sale value, the Stihl value will smash the Husky hands down. Not that it matters since you'll keep this one forever. It is the perfect all around sized saw.

Good luck...

My thanks to those of you who have stuck to the topic and answered my questions- I appreciate your time.

Yep, I have ran both. Like the 357, but the 361 is just a better built saw and more powerful in my opinion.

Imo the most important factor is that the 361 has an inboard clutch and the 357xp an outboard + that the 361 has a tad more power and low end torque - and a tad less weight....:)

I don't agree that Stihl plastic is better than Husky plastic though, and the "flimsy" choke/start/stop controls on the smaller Huskys (346 and 357 family) hold up just fine, and is more convenient than any else I have used.

I'd pick the 361 again, no doubt about that - but wouldn't mind the 357xp if I could keep the 361......

Last edited:
I love my 357, and have used a 361 quite a bit too. I would agree that the stihl saw may have a small torque advantage, but I liked limbing with the 57 a lot more. The engine seems to have lightning acceleration. Either one is a damn good all around or firewood saw.

Agree with the dealer preference statement. Build the relationship with the dealer you like more as both are great products.

I love my 357, and have used a 361 quite a bit too. I would agree that the stihl saw may have a small torque advantage, but I liked limbing with the 57 a lot more. The engine seems to have lightning acceleration. Either one is a damn good all around or firewood saw.

Agree with the dealer preference statement. Build the relationship with the dealer you like more as both are great products.

The Euro 361 is the acc. champ of saws (as I know them) - but I never used a US one...

My 361 with 3/8"x8 and 15" bar is the perfect limbing and bucking saw for mature birhes here - but conditions vary.....:cheers:

The Euro 361 is the acc. champ of saws (as I know them) - but I never used a US one...

My 361 with 3/8"x8 and 15" bar is the perfect limbing and bucking saw for mature birhes here - but conditions vary.....:cheers:

Have you tried a 357? I would like to know where you get the figures that say the 357 weighs more also..

Have you tried a 357? I would like to know where you get the figures that say the 357 weighs more also..

i think Sneller weighed them on an unofficial scale and they where the same.

cant remember if they where full of fluids or drained.

i would like to try a 357.

I have seen pics of both saws with the same size bars, on scales, at 17.5.

I think the differences would be down to a #### hair, no much at all.:sucks:

Another option

I was looking for a saw in the same class and decided that for a small difference in weight and a considerable increase in horsepower that the Jonsered 2172/Husky 372xp was the best choice. The sheer power of these saws is amazing. The price is soon forgotten after a few ear to ear smiles when you put one of these to work. I have not ran an MS361, but I doubt one could keep up with my CS2171. Contrary to all the "bigger is better" talk I like my 346XPne the best of any saw I have ran, light weight and very fast cutting.

That was not about empty powerheads - different bars can weight differently, even when they are the same length - and the weight looked a bit "fishy" as well.

There also could have been slight differences in liquid and crud contents......

Last edited:
I was looking for a saw in the same class and decided that for a small difference in weight and a considerable increase in horsepower that the Jonsered 2171/Husky 372xp was the best choice. The sheer power of these saws is amazing. The price is soon forgotten after a few ear to ear smiles when you put one of these to work. I have not ran an MS361, but I doubt one could keep up with my CS2171. Contrary to all the "bigger is better" talk I like my 346XPne the best of any saw I have ran, light weight and very fast cutting.

At the point I bought the 361, the 2171 actually was the last option to go from the list - the true weight is a bit more than the specs indicate, and was decisive.

What I really wanted was a 262xp, but it was no-go (too late).......

Run what you brung...

If you had a choice of "run what you brung" "All out Pinks" style, which would you choose? Or does it all depend whether you're aim is cutting cookies or a big beech tree? I would imagine a cookie cutter would take down a tree freaking quick.

After all the readings of 357 v 361 v 359, I'm almost leaning towards a hot rodded 359. But my only concern is why does it start off stock with such low hp #'s.

In stock form, I would imagine the last one left standing would be the one with the better flow characteristics on the jug.

All I can say is: The MS361 is the only Stihl saw I currently own, but I'll take it over a 357XP any day. There are many reasons. The 361 feels lighter, it's torquier, cuts (for me) faster, and unlike the 357 it takes the same bars as the larger Stihl saws (in case I get a 441 or a 460). Although I love my Huskies, none of the German-made tools I've owned have ever let me down.<p>
<br>

All I can say is: The MS361 is the only Stihl saw I currently own, but I'll take it over a 357XP any day. There are many reasons. The 361 feels lighter, it's torquier, cuts (for me) faster, and unlike the 357 it takes the same bars as the larger Stihl saws (in case I get a 441 or a 460). Although I love my Huskies, none of the German-made tools I've owned have ever let me down.<p>
<br>

Funny, I think the 357 feels lighter with a 20". Given a choice between a 361 and an 044/440, I'd pick the 440 because the weight to me is negligble. The 357 seems to feel light and easy to swing to me. I'm kinda wanting one myself.

Latest posts

Back