Husqvarna 357XP Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IchWarriorMkII

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Disclaimer : I searched the threads, and did some reading.

The 357XP comes up as a good saw for me on paper. The weight, power, and option for a .325 pitch chain all fits my bill. My plan is to run the same loop and pitch chain as my .353, while it may be a slightly illogical choice, it would be the logistical choice.

I was curious if the saw has the same low torque 'problem' as the 346xp that was discussed in an earlier thread. If the saw gets loaded a little much, it bogs to a halt. Does the extra displacement of the 357xp offer a little more torque to resist this, or is it about as bad?

Im still doing some research, it will probably be the first of the year before I get a chance to pick up a saw but I like the weight and horsepower of the 357xp. I've look hard at the 365xp, and Im a little torn between it. I checked the 570xp out, but I think its a little heavy for me in terms of weight and power. I know I know you can't have too much power... but I really dont need it either, so I'd dig a lighter saw. Also, I can steal my 18" loops for my 353, with a larger saw I'd *have* to jump to a .365 or .375 pitch.

Just my 2 cents, if you already got the 353, take a bigger leap up.

I've looked at the Ms361, but can I bring myself to have a Stihl? Is it possible?

Also, there are no local dealers for Stihl, I can at least get a Husky through Baileys...

IchWarriorMkII said:
I've looked at the Ms361, but can I bring myself to have a Stihl? Is it possible?

Also, there are no local dealers for Stihl, I can at least get a Husky through Baileys...
It is worth it, but I understand thr dealer support thing.:cheers:

I love my 357xp, I had a 353 and a 365 and the 357xp is by far my favourite out of those three. The 365 has an easier time cutting through big hardwood but the 357 isn't too far behind and is much nicer for limbing and cutting up smaller stuff.

I really don't deal with hardwood, the hardest I cut is juniper... The rest is soft wood, being russian olive and cotton wood.

While having a little extra grunt on a big cotton wood would be nice, I cut it so rarely its not worth it.

I have a 357xp that I bought seized and should have it rebuild in a week or two (waiting on parts). It feels very nice in my hands, light and well balanced. I had 257 and was impressed. Although whenever running it I always was thinking, why not run the 372. I have and 365 but again its just not the 372. I plan to sell off the piston and cylinder on the 365 this winter and install a 372 big bore kit. I will let you know how I like the 357xp when I get it up and running.

This business about a 346 not having any torque is BS IMO. IN sotck form it has much more torque than a Stihl 260 for instance.
The 357 is a nice saw and it will spank a 361 in stock form, but if you are really looking for a saw with grunt go with a 70cc saw or larger.

A 357xp with heated handles would be nice. Cutting juniper should be no problem. The 359 cuts 18 inch diam. juniper stumps with no problem. Stock nonCAT muffler and 3/8 inch chain. What is the problem with the 353? I'm thinking about one because it is a pound lighter than the 359.

IchWarriorMkII said:
Im still doing some research, it will probably be the first of the year before I get a chance to pick up a saw but I like the weight and horsepower of the 357xp. I've look hard at the 365xp, and Im a little torn between it. I checked the 570xp out, but I think its a little heavy for me in terms of weight and power. I know I know you can't have too much power... but I really dont need it either, so I'd dig a lighter saw. ....

The 365 and 570 are not xp saws, but they are pro quality saw.

The 357xp weights a good bit more than Husky claims - the MS361 is actually lighter, and has more torque and a bit more max power output. It may not be as fast in small wood though.

Last edited:
Jaxx said:
A 357xp with heated handles would be nice. Cutting juniper should be no problem. The 359 cuts 18 inch diam. juniper stumps with no problem. Stock nonCAT muffler and 3/8 inch chain. What is the problem with the 353? I'm thinking about one because it is a pound lighter than the 359.

The real weight difference is larger than that.....

Whoops, got XP happy on the saw names.

Nothing is really wrong with the 353, but I'd like a back up saw when Im in the hills cutting a load of firewood. I'd almost have me two 353's but I'd like to play with a little more power, but not go too far and get a larger saw.

Interesting info on the ms361 Saw Troll, thanks. Food for thought, maybe I need some diversity in my life...

... Except I have no where to buy one. Thats a ?????.

The 357xp weights a good bit more than Husky claims - the MS361 is actually lighter, and has more torque and a bit more max power output. It may not be as fast in small wood though.
Have you ran both saws? I have and there isnt a snowballs chance in hell that the 361 is faster than a 357 in any size wood.. I dunno about the miniscule weight differance.

The 357XP is one sweetheart of a saw in it's class. You should not have any torque issues with this saw especially if you are running .325 chain. The 357XP gives you 1 extra HP over the 346XP. If you lived closer I would let you come and cut some of my firewood with mine.:laugh:

I just dropped and cut up a yellow popular in no time with my DN357xp. It all went to fast and easy. But at least I have some play wood for up north now.
Its still alittle different to start then my others, seems alittle cold natured compared to the others. But at least I didnt flood it this time and learning to let it run on half throttle before cracking the throttle and putting it to work.
Good luck on your choice. You can darn near get the 372 for the price of the 357 through Baileys. Having to much is better then still wanting more.
Just telling you about the 372 because you are a husky guy and the 372 is less then the smaller 361 that the stihl guys pushing at you and if you are leaving stock, I would get a Dolmar 7900.

I love my 357XP and haven't even given it a good work out yet. Don't be bothered by some of my recent post about mine. I picked up my saw at an auction for $185 (no brainer!!!!!) and even though it was in excellent shape for a 2 year old saw, it was obviously neglected. Old fuel, bar oil that looked more like soapy water can tend to lead to problems. A little TLC and some help from Hard Knocks, I have myself one awesome saw. I currently run a 20" bar with Woodsman Pro 3/8" chains with no problems cutting up red oak. I haven't even modded the muffler yet, only because I haven't had the need to. Don't fret, the muffler mod is coming, just want to take care of the small issues of neglect first.

Whatever you decide, have fun with it. If you choose the 357XP, I am confident you will be satisfied. If you're not, then its just another reason to add aonther saw to the collection.

I agree with Ben, but this need not turn into another Husky/Stihl debate.

Warrior wants to stick with Husky, so answering the original question: The 357XP flat out rips. There is no problem with torque, real or perceived. It is a significant jump over a 353. With 18" .325 set up, it is even quicker still.

Now is an especially good time to get one, as Husky seems to want to unload them before the end of the year. There is a very good deal on them that most dealers aren't even aware of. I ordered a bunch of 'em. My guess, and it's only "my guess", is that we will be seeing E-tech versions of this saw in 2007 and beyond. Just like the 346XP. The Jonny 2156 has been E-tech since it was introduced, so that stuff is already in place. They have also done away with the auto-decompression valve that had some issues. Now is the best time to get one.

I have the 2156 with 18" .325 and heated handles for myself, and I love it. And yes, I did dump the cat muffler.

Hello, first post here, been reading posts for months.
Just pulled the trigger on Ammicks 357xp deal after reading todays posts.(hopefully I did not offend the Troll) The 1994 026 will finally have company.
Now I will have to wait for Santa for a B and C from Bailey's(got to spread the love around) Wife is yelling, time to go!(she is happy for my long obsessed purchase:

Latest posts

Back