Husqvarna 359 froze up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusty Rivers

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 3 year old 359. It has been in the repair shop 3 times.
Before this saw I had a Stihl Farmboss for 20 years.

I was cutting tree. removed 359 saw from the cut. It sputtered twice, shut off and a puff of smoke came out. Tried to pull starter rope and the saw was locked up!!. I am going back to a Stihl MS381.

My question is should I bother taking the 359 to the repair shop, or is it a paperweight at this point? I like the 359 when it runs, but it doesn't do that or a reliable basis. The starter rope will not budge. The chain will rotate around the guide bar.

let me know

I could use the parts from a toasted 359 so let me know if you are done with it. Honestly it sounds like the motor is gone.

computeruser said:
No, don't bother. Sell it for parts and cut your losses. Sounds like you got a dud saw or just a dose of bad luck, both happen from time to time.

I think you just got a dose of a husky chainsaw.:greenchainsaw: Should have stayed with stihl. Just kidding probably just a lemon, i'm sure you could get a little money for parts, sounds like the motor is shot.:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Welcome to AS Dusty!!
Sorry about you're luck, that blows!!! That is usually a good saw, but I agree it sounds as though you got a lemon. Talk to the dealer, maybe some trade in value? If nothing else someone here will throw you a bone for the parts. Good luck with you're new one.
Andy

Dusty Rivers said:

I was cutting tree. removed 359 saw from the cut. It sputtered twice, shut off and a puff of smoke came out. Tried to pull starter rope and the saw was locked up!!. I am going back to a Stihl MS381.

My question is should I bother taking the 359 to the repair shop, or is it a paperweight at this point? I like the 359 when it runs, but it doesn't do that or a reliable basis. The starter rope will not budge. The chain will rotate around the guide bar.

If it were my 359, I would at least have the motor looked at by a CS mechanic before parting it out. If you are intent on sending it to the boneyard, there are plenty of us vultures around. In fact, if you look up, you can see us circling, drawn in by the smell of decaying two stroke oil.

Or what about pulling it apart yourself? Alan wrench and pull the exhaust, right there you will get an idea of what is up, a screwdriver and another alan wrench or two and you can have the jug off. piston can some times be persuaded to move with some penetrating lube and a dowel taped down the spark plug hole.

It would be interesting to find out what caused the problem.

Always a change that the jug is still good and a new piston an ring will bring it back to life.

running 40:1 oil?

359 locked up

gas mix was 50:1 as recommended in the book. Saw was clean, air filter clean, muffler ( unmodified) was clear. Saw was running great. Cutting like a starving beaver. I really like this saw when it runs, but------.

I ordered a Sthil MS361 with RSC chain / 18" bar today. $580. Time to cut some tough Texas cedar and oak. :greenchainsaw:

Dusty Rivers said:
gas mix was 50:1 as recommended in the book. Saw was clean, air filter clean, muffler ( unmodified) was clear. Saw was running great. Cutting like a starving beaver. I really like this saw when it runs, but------.

I ordered a Sthil MS361 with RSC chain / 18" bar today. $580. Time to cut some tough Texas cedar and oak. :greenchainsaw:

congratulations..on the new saw now go have some fun ...:cheers: :cheers:

I would think about going to 40:1 and also try some top shelf 2 stroke mix (do a search and you will find tuns of info), I have had my 359 apart arfter a short time running the OEM mix that came with the saw, I was not impressed with the buildup it left. 1 day of the OEM left far more gunk in the saw than six months of runing 927 castor, not saying that is the best or only one to use, but it is one that has worked well for me and gives you high protection against what just happend to your saw.

Dusty Rivers said:

Before throwing in the towel on that 359 do a quick check of at least two things. Remove the starter assembly and see if anything has broken. Sometimes a starter rotor will split and jam the flywheel, a lock up. While the assembly is off try turning the flywheel by hand. If it turns freely check the assembly again. If that flywheel is stuck to the point you can't turn it by hand at all then you can say the saw is pretty well shot, even though its probly still repairable depending on how much money you wanna throw at it.

Last edited:
Piston kit can be had for $35.00 plus shipping from site sponsors. If it is your first tear down it might take a few hours but it is not a mystical job. Check the things mentioned and go from there. If the saw has been used a lot plan on replacing the fuel line, fuel filter, and any gaskets between the carb,jug, muffler, and crankcase. A new spark plug after a rebuild is a good idea. The total piston swap rebuild bill for a do it yourself job should be less than $100.00. Light scoring on the cylinder can be easily cleaned up. You should give it a try as it is simple and if it does not go well, it is already torn down to be parted out. Good luck.

I think you need to find out what caused the problem before you throw a new top end into the saw. Tear it apart and see what you find. If it is toast I am very interested in the parts please pm me.

buck

buck futter said:
I could use the parts from a toasted 359 so let me know if you are done with it. Honestly it sounds like the motor is gone.

Sounds like a lean seizure after not being setup correctly. Easy enough to figure out after tear down. We should offer suggestions to assist a new member, to help educate, and to support the new member before asking to buy what they are having problems with. It would be different if he asked to sell it or had 50 posts.

If he wishes to sell it 50 posts and he can post it in the proper place.

If he was closer I would offer to assist him in the rebuild. The 359 is a solid saw and unless severe damage has occurred worth rebuilding if not just for the experience.

Sorry to disagree with your postings, but I do.

Last edited:
As a matter a fact the first four responses were lame and shameful. If you need parts for your saws post it in the correct forum. People wanted to keep the Trading Post from becoming a "dumping ground" but are shamelessly willing to vulture a new member or the un-informed. It is occurring all to often and pathetic.

On a lighter note, I am aware that I am not a moderator and you are apparently allowed to behave in this fashion so have at it. It does seem to be an easy way around the 50 post rule.

I edited this post to include the fourth response.
The fifth and sixth response are not much better. Did not even ask for more information before swooping in.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back