Husqvarna 359, what a saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pogo-does it have a plastic spacer on the metering side w/o a vent hole in the metal cover ?

Sure does. Double gaskets, too.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Anyone have a Zama replacement handy for cheap? Or should I just try running this Walbro?

Poge

One way or another, that metering valve chamber on the Walbro has to vent to outside air?

w8ye- yes, it does. it goes into the plastic spacer, through the diaphragm&gasket, down into the body, out the choke face, up the pipe next to the air intake & into the air filter chamber. i think this has to do with the accelerator pump.
the gaskets in the kit did not have those holes in them. once i punched a hole in the gasket and diaphragm it fired right up.
the carb i have is the hda 175 and it is running fine with it.

attachment.php

the diaphragm on the left has the vent hole in the upper left corner below the larger screw hole.
the diapragm on the right lacks this vent hole.
if you do a carb kit keep an eye out for this difference.

Turtle-thanks for the confirmation that I'm OK, and for the explanation about the kit, screws and gaskets. That is all very helpful info!

Steve

sdhamblin-you did the right thing drilling a hole. the kit gaskets lacked the extra vent holes in the diaphragm and gasket for that type carb. there was a spacer missing,hence the longer screws. just ran into this myself, finally noticed the missing holes. runs great now !

Those 359's are nice saws,glad you got that one running right.Mine is an 06 with no problems yet and Snellerized 3 years ago.I should check and see what carb set-up I have.

Those 359's are nice saws,glad you got that one running right.Mine is an 06 with no problems yet and Snellerized 3 years ago.I should check and see what carb set-up I have.

...just not when stock and with the cat muffler they come with in the US.....:msp_sneaky:

...just not when stock and with the cat muffler they come with in the US.....:msp_sneaky:

They are a whole different saw when ported and fitted with a non cat muffler with 2 straight pipes sticking out:hmm3grin2orange:

attachment.php

I just looked at my 359 carb and it has a couple gaskets on it like the pics and no hole but a metal clamp.

Turtle-thanks for the confirmation that I'm OK, and for the explanation about the kit, screws and gaskets. That is all very helpful info!

Steve

Sad news, my 359 idles, but wnt rev and has no power. My cs3450 kicked it's rear today-how sad is that!

did you cut the limiter tabs off the hi & lo speed mix screws ? sounds like you need more fuel.

359 is a fine saw,,,,,,,,,,,,,,except the muffler. Cat is not really any more restrictive than no-cat. The cat does produce a lot of heat, hot enough to melt down covers and paint.

The carb issues are well documented, mine is an early '06 model and has never had a Demon. These saws are just about the easiest to port without special right angle grinders and such. If you know what to look for, and the price is right, they are a good bang for the buck saw fo sure.

Since this thread has been resurrected from the archives I will add an update. The 359 I rebuilt is still in active service and running well, it mostly cuts the new owners firewood on a yearly basis and a little yard cleanup here and there. It cuts up 6-7 cord of hardwood into firewood lengths yearly so no large amount of hours on it so far but it is a very nice running saw with plenty of power, guess the port job I did on it has not hurt it any amount. The new owner would`n think of giving it up and is more than satisfied with it.

Since this thread has been resurrected from the archives I will add an update. The 359 I rebuilt is still in active service and running well, it mostly cuts the new owners firewood on a yearly basis and a little yard cleanup here and there. It cuts up 6-7 cord of hardwood into firewood lengths yearly so no large amount of hours on it so far but it is a very nice running saw with plenty of power, guess the port job I did on it has not hurt it any amount. The new owner would`n think of giving it up and is more than satisfied with it.

Yeah I hear ya Jerry. I just can't figure out why Husqvarn switched to a large spline setup on this saw. This now requires the user to by a new clutch drum and worm gear if they want to run .325 chain. The small spine clutch would interchange with a slew of other saws like the 346. Maybe the earlier ones had problems with the worm gear design.

Latest posts

Back