Husqvarna 365 special

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strtspdlx

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a deal in the works to buy a 365 special off a friend of my fathers. He says it has a new bar and chain and I haven't laid eyes on the saw yet. I know the basic checkout for function compression and such. Assuming it's a good runner is it worth $360 and are 365's the saws you can convert to a 372 with a p+c the carb base plate and carb and some other misc parts. I've been away for awhile (from this site) and I forget a lot. I haven't found the search function yet on my phone or I would've done that.

Regards-Carlo

Wouldnt you be better off buying a 372 for the money you will have in converting this one? Price of saw plus oem 372 p/c plus air filter and af cover.if hou choose to change af set up.

Starting with a used special? Better to freshen an older 365 special with a 372 top end & main seals than buying a new 365 top end and even a new 365/372 in my mind. Le me cee... $350-$375 for a complete used one. $150 for the right top end. $25 for seals .. add another $25 for carb kit and fuel line...and $550-$600 you have a better saw. With the right dealer you can cut $50 bucks out of those number too.

Well I got it. Now it's time to relieve it of some unnecessary "things" find a caber ring and a fuel tank and it's good to go. The tank handle is broke in half so I need to replace that before it becomes more of an issue. My wife's gonna love this. Just when I thought CAA was helping.

Regards-Carlo

If it's a good runner no need to swap top ends. I wouldn't buy that one to do the swap because as weimedog already showed it will get expensive quick. You would be better served to find a complete saw with a blown top end cheap. or find a 372 that runs for around the same money. Either way the 365 is a good saw good luck with your purchase and hope it brings a smile to your face.

why replace the ring? is it low on compression? i didn't catch that it had a busted tank will have to reread first post.

I never put eyes on the saw so I didn't know it had one either. But it's a friend of the family. It has around 140psi compression. No scoring. Good crosshatch. So I figured I'd throw cabers in so I didn't have to mess with it over the winter. I plan to cut wood all summer so I'd like the saw to be reliable so I can get 3-4 cords ready for this winter.

Regards-Carlo

I hope you got it for less than $360 with it needing a new tank.
I did but not by much. It doesn't necessarily have to have a tank. It doesn't leak or anything. I'm just anal about stuff and would prefer to replace the tank just so I'm not worrying about the handle cracking more.

Also as far as base gasket delete check squish and see if I have room. Is there anything about this model saw I should know? I've had plenty of saws and I've only done mm and gasket delete/rebuilds. I plan to vacuum and pressure test it soon.

Regards-Carlo

The old ones with the squarish intake vs. the boot like the later 372's were open port. Not many of them and they also can be upgraded, Definitely worth up grading those. The later 365 closed port actually respond really well to a "no base gasket" build assuming squish allows and a muffler mod. Makes me sad seeing so many of those perfectly good tops ends on eBay for cheap.. often because someone decided to swap out to a 50mm 372.. :) Me??

If I needed a mid sized work saw and a 365 presented itself clean for $350 or so, I would buy it. vac test to see if the bottom end is holding pressure. (replacing seals isn't bad if you either have tools or understand the process) Then replace the boot and rubber parts like carb kit and fuel lines. Pulse line. Do a "no base gasket" build with a new ring. Put a Huztl muffler on it....no mod needed. (Flame away!) And RUN it! It will probably out last you. With relatively minor tweaks you can get close to the 372 anyway with one.

AND when you are thoroughly pleased with that chassis and find a better 372..you can MOD that one with all the same good stuff as any saw on that chassis while your better one is the insurance policy. How CAD begins. And to those who make the feeble attempt to cost justify this plan/logic....they miss the point.

(Very few hobbies provide the instant gratification AND reduce the cost of living simultaneously. If you don't get THAT you either heat with a fossil fuel or electricity....city dweller. )

Sounds Very Logical to me! Poor City Folk Rarely experience the Joy of Cutting a Sweet Smelling Lodgepole!

Latest posts

Back