Husqvarna 371xp Big bore rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott371xp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am brand new to this site and looking for some guidance on a new project of mine. I have an old 371xp husqvarna that cut it's last log. I purchased a big bore kit from huztl and currently in the process of rebuilding. I have the crank together but the crankshaft seems really tight. Is this normal? Should I restart before going further?

If the big end bearing is stiff I would say you should look for a new or good used one. Good luck with your build.

+1^^^ rattled362 is right. I misread your original post, you need to tap the shaft ends with a brass hammer to center it in the case, don't forget to put the nut back on the flywheel side to prevent messing up your threads.

Thanks for the quick reply guys! New seals and bearings are in. Although it does look like the crankshaft is offset to one side. I was thinking of hammering it to center but wasn't about hammering on the crank. I will give the brass hammer a shot although the bearings are really tight on the crankshaft...

It doesnt take a lot. Just tap it a little on each side till it frees up. How did you reassemble the case?

Afleetcommand on YouTube has some great videos on these series of saws, very informative and helpful to someone working on one of these saws.

I heated up the crankcase halves and put the bearings in the freezer. They went in relatively easily then repeated the process with the crank. I realize now that the bearings should of went on the shaft first. But I got it together.

I heated up the crankcase halves and put the bearings in the freezer. They went in relatively easily then repeated the process with the crank. I realize now that the bearings should of went on the shaft first. But I got it together.
that's also the way I did mine, however I did put mine on the shaft first, others on here would tell you yours was the correct way to put it together.

Also have you ckd squish and timing numbers on the bb cylinder. I recently purchased a hyway bb kit for a 371 and squish and numbers had to be addressed as they were off.

Squish is basically the space between the top of the piston and the top of the cylinder at top dead center.

Ok thanks guys. Everything is going good so far just a little confused about how the oil pump bushing assembles on the crank. I am not sure if I am missing something. Could someone provide some info on this assembly and how this end of the crank is sealed ?

There is a really small o ring that goes on the crank between the bushing and the crank. You will have to get it from your dealer.

Latest posts

Back